PDA

View Full Version : Got lucky at the "Local Bar" last night....

BigAl
05-11-2004, 07:44 PM
Only one seat open at the Bar and the guy that sat down next to me is a known BBQ guy that only caters(found out later in the night). As we began to talk, I told him I was outa work and was a member of an online BBQ group. He asked questions about the Brethren group and what did I Q, told him about the group and that I made fire baskets.

He wants me to take a look at his 7,000 lb trailer mounded BBQ rig to do a couple of mods for him. He lives less than 1 mile from me. And now for the real good news......His kids have been helping him with his Qing business but they are graduating and leaving so he now needs help.

Big party at his house on 5/22/04 for the Kids (I'm invited) and he want's me to help with another Party on 5/24/04 and if I want to, after that day, go to work for him........ all the Q I can eat :D :D :D

His Q business is by word of mouth and he is booked all summer! Most of his catering is for 50 to 500 people! He has a full time job besides the Qing gigs..... So maybe I will be his Mobile Pit Bitch!!!!! :D :D

YES! I am looking forward to this adventure :!: :D

kcquer
05-11-2004, 07:53 PM
Kick ass Big Al, I really hope it works out for you. Sounds right up your alley. Nothin better than being paid to do something you love.

hornbri
05-11-2004, 08:25 PM
Thats Great...Congrats!!!

The_Kapn
05-11-2004, 09:03 PM
OK, I'm looking up the mileage to Parker CO as I type :D

I could come out of retirement for a gig like that.

On the serious side, I reviewed all the posts on this forum. Yes, every one! Took several days with the wifey going "What are you doing?"

There was an interesting thread about the catering business that had a lot of really good info going and then "died".

It is amazing to me the number of folks that seem (and I repeat "seem") to make money from q'ing. In our area there are several that show up for the "$20 Boston Butt for Charity" things. Sell a ton of those things!

So, Big Al, if you get any insight into the ecomomics, FDA, USDA, local health agencies, licensing, etc--can you share what you learn?

Good luck on your adventure!!

TIM

Arlin_MacRae
05-11-2004, 09:19 PM
Al, you are one lucky sumbitch -- congrats, bro!!! Sounds like you've managed to fill the right squares and here's your big break.
The gods of smoke and fire are smiling on Parker, CO.

Bill-Chicago
05-11-2004, 09:28 PM
Great going Al.

Take my advice.

Dont mention the f@cking Spam

BigAl
05-11-2004, 09:58 PM
Great going Al.

Take my advice.

Only on the Hawian gig :!: :D :D :D :D

tommykendall
05-12-2004, 07:03 AM
great find BIg Al - better than getting laid. :roll:

Bill-Chicago
05-12-2004, 07:12 AM
Great going Al.

Take my advice.

Only on the Hawian gig :!: :D :D :D :D

LOL

brdbbq
05-12-2004, 07:17 AM
There was an interesting thread about the catering business that had a lot of really good info going and then "died".

It is amazing to me the number of folks that seem (and I repeat "seem") to make money from q'ing. In our area there are several that show up for the "$20 Boston Butt for Charity" things. Sell a ton of those things!

Chad aka Dave Little needs to chime in on this. Good find Al but better than getting laid ?

jt
05-12-2004, 07:20 AM
Hot Damn, Big Al! Sounds like you hit the motherlode!

stlmike
05-12-2004, 07:24 AM
great find BIg Al - better than getting laid.

Al, I don't know about better than getting laid, but congrats! Happy "Qing" to you. Also agree with the Hawian gig.
Mike

Solidkick
05-12-2004, 07:30 AM
Just don't get so busy you forget your brothers...........
Good luck to you, and stop in and say Hi once in awhile.......

chad
05-12-2004, 08:01 AM
Congratulations Al! Go for it.

I don't need to chime in - we've run this rabbit before. Ain't nothin' changed!

Al, you'll get a lot of experience in a hurry - nothing like staring several hundred folks in the eyes and trying to explain that the meat isn't read :twisted: That in NOT going to happen!!

Bigdog
05-12-2004, 11:27 AM
Congrats Al. Do what you love, and the money will follow. Hope that it works out for you. 8)

mook
05-13-2004, 12:58 AM
Congrats Al.

I guess i need to spend more time at the bar.

racer_81
05-13-2004, 09:08 AM
What's "getting laid" mean?

brdbbq
05-13-2004, 09:26 AM
With that Avatar you will never know.

Cuelio
05-13-2004, 10:17 AM
Al, baby! That's the power of networking! Congratulations and a half, man.

You never know in life. See where that takes you. And think about it . . . feeding a crowd of 500 puts you in a position feed a lot of Spam BBQ dishes. Knock yourself out . . . of a job again. :P

BigAl
05-13-2004, 10:25 AM

I think it has something to do with Carpet.

Heard a woman telling her daughter, "Lay a man like Carpet, do it once and then walk on him for years". :cry:

brdbbq
05-13-2004, 11:21 AM

I think it has something to do with Carpet.

Heard a woman telling her daughter, "Lay a man like Carpet, do it once and then walk on him for years". :cry:

Now that's funny

racer_81
05-13-2004, 12:08 PM
Al, I gotta know.

Did you get the job offer before or after you whipped out the Southern Flavor?

BigAl
05-13-2004, 03:22 PM
No southern Flavor, just my un-rubbed self. 8)

Stucue74
05-13-2004, 10:01 PM
Congrats Al. Sounds like you might be giving us some tips from another Q bro. This group is filled with fantabulous adventures. Glad to hear this news for you.