PDA

View Full Version : Recipe for smoked trout?

Stucue74
05-07-2004, 03:25 PM
Gents,

Hope everyone is doing well---lately I haven't had as many chances to post.

Went fishing 2 weekends ago in AR along the Norfolk river and caught some trout. I've tried TK's version of smoking salmon and it was fabulous, but I'm not sure if it will work with Rainbow trout. Any suggestions? Looking to have the guys over and they are asking me to smoke some.

Thanks!

Bill-Chicago
05-07-2004, 07:59 PM
I was about to send you one of my "where you been" PM's

Good to see you back.

TK, hope you can answer this one from the shop. Know your (Mike's) shop PC was down, but you got the most fish experience (or is it fishing experience)

rusold
05-07-2004, 09:11 PM
I just realized I have done this - wife loves trout - did small whole cleaned rainbows (13") - stuffed cavity with herbs and butter - coriander pepper on outside - cooked real slow with just pecan - looked and tasted great. Used one of those grill trays used for stuff too small to put on the grate to keep parts from flaking off and falling thru the Banderas grill

R

Heath
05-07-2004, 09:44 PM
Bryan,

Just think about it, if the rainbow gets big enough and gets out to sea, then comes back in, it's called a steelhead. We cook those just like salmon out here. Trout are basically little salmon. We smoke them all the time. Just be carefull not to overcook them because they are thinner and don't take as much time. Which is wonderful to whip up a meal really quick.

Smoked/grilled/broiled trout, rice, spinach...mmmm good eats. LOL

BigAl
05-08-2004, 12:12 AM
Here is a pic of my pal, Bob catching a Colorado Trout at his broth-in-law's place(60 AC). The lake is clear water from the same stream that Coors gets their warter from to make Coors Beer. This is a small one, most are 10 + pounds and look like logs in the water. These Trout are so big, they would eat the Trout that I thought were big when I fished in Virginia as a kid. The water is clear as a clean glass window.

Later near dark, a heard of Elk was eating on the hill behind the Lodge.

Arlin_MacRae
05-08-2004, 09:55 PM
Oh Al - you're killin' me with those pix!!! Ahhhhh.

Anyone have time/temps for smoking small fish? I've been readying myself to do some salmon over pecan. Figured I'd use butter, lemon, and herbs, but what heat do you use?

rusold
05-09-2004, 12:33 PM
Two things here

Al, that isn't a Rainbow trout unless it has been visiting BALCO

Arlin, I did mine at the end of another cook - 200 - 220 for an hour- they were small - probably illegal if not farm grown.

R

frognot
05-09-2004, 01:11 PM
Al-
Thanks for posting them pics. That is some beautiful country up there.

jt
05-10-2004, 08:02 AM
I cut out an article in the paper about trout back in December. This recipe is from the Missouri Dept of Conservation:

Soak the whole trout 12-16 hours in a brine of 1 qt water, 1/2 cup canning salt and 1/2 cup brown sugar. Remove the fish from the brine and allow the salt water to drain completely. Smoke for 6-8 hours.

Of course, they didn't say what temp but to keep a trout in there 6-8 hours I'd have to say 'very low'.

Stucue74
05-10-2004, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the posts guys. I'm not so sure about smoking for 6-8 hours, it may be fish sticks at that point unless your under 100*. I guess I'll use the Salmon recipe but shorten the time since the filets are thinner? Unfortunately, these aren't 10 lb.ers--unless I'm just telling the story :lol: . More like 2 lbs on average.

BigAl
05-10-2004, 10:27 AM
Two things here

Al, that isn't a Rainbow trout unless it has been visiting BALCO

Arlin, I did mine at the end of another cook - 200 - 220 for an hour- they were small - probably illegal if not farm grown.

R

Sorry R, but that is a Rainbow trout (Bob estimated about a 4.5lb one) that Bob caught and contrary to popular beliefs, not all big things are in TX. :D

Bill bought the place 8 years ago, it was built by the original McDonnells frainchisers as a retreat and they outgrew it. Bill ownes his own business and has his staff and customers visit and fish. It is a catch and release place. Over the years he has stocked the lake with Rainbow, Brook and Brown Trout. While we were there, Bill got a call from a customer that was fishing there two days before we were there and he said that he and another guy caught 30 and about 20 were over 10 lbs.

Bill had a guy comming to dump in 10,000 minnows to feed them big boys.

I was there to design a hinged cover for the lake drain which gets clogged by sticks the Beaver cut up. The cover will be finished this week. When I go to install it, I will try to get a 10 pounder to show you. :wink: :D

racer_81
05-10-2004, 01:18 PM
I was there to design a hinged cover for the lake drain which gets clogged by sticks the Beaver cut up.

Al's Drain Mod.

tommykendall
05-11-2004, 07:25 AM
I've tried TK's version of smoking salmon and it was fabulous, but I'm not sure if it will work with Rainbow trout

I tried it on trout once and didn't care too much for it. Don't care too much for trout. Course - I think there's a big difference between the taste of trout and salmon.

Oh Al - you're killin' me with those pix!!! Ahhhhh

Ditto - I'm in farking love. Not with Bob, but with the area.

BigAl
05-11-2004, 01:50 PM
I was there to design a hinged cover for the lake drain which gets clogged by sticks the Beaver cut up.

Al's Drain Mod.

Damn, that is good, wish I had said that, I must be sliping :!:

BigAl
05-11-2004, 02:09 PM
OK, Brothers
Here is where we have gone wrong, working for some one else, instead of doing what Bill did (started his own business and for 5 years, made no money and then...).

This lodge is awsome inside, big $ss wood beams and three sided rock fire place, with a built in smoker/grill in the kitchen. And next month, it will be bulldozed down :cry: . Why, because Bill is gonna build a bigger place that will include an "Africa Room" that will house his hunting trophries from his African hunting trips.

You Guys would all like Bill and Bob, just great everyday guys (like us) that like BBQ. We ate about half of one of my briskets while drinking Bob's Bloody Ceasor drinks.

BigAl
06-26-2004, 08:44 PM
Al's Drain MOD.....Installed.

Thought I post pics of the lake drain grate that I designed which was installed today.

The grate is hinged at the top and a chain is pulled up which causes the trapped beaver cut sticks to be dumped on to the remoavable expanded metal culvert cover. The removable cover allows access to the original drain grid, if necessary.

Prior to the MOD, the owners had to drive to the lodge every couple of days, put on waders and clean out the drain grate by hand (this water is real cold, altitude is 9,000 ft) to keep the lake from overflowing.

They will still have to drive up to the lodge and pull the chain but now the sticks will dump out and then be cleaned up.