PDA

View Full Version : Pork Loin Question

Alan in Ga
03-30-2010, 05:06 PM
I am going to smoke a 5lb loin tomorrow on a UDS and am looking for a good recipe I have done these many time before but not real happy with the results. This is a cut of meat that is part of our cooking catagories in the GA BBQ Association and I am going to cook my first comp in May and want to try diff recipes to find one I like. Thanks for the help Alan

Desert Dweller
03-30-2010, 05:19 PM
The simplest and yet tasiest loin I have done was done over pecan and apple, with Dizzy Pig's Shakin the Tree rub. I apply a light coat of EVOO and then a good solid coat of DP. Cooked to 155 or there about, pull and foil, let rest 20 mins. Temp will rise to about 165 + or - a degree or two.

N8man
03-30-2010, 05:31 PM
When I smoke Pork Loin, I rub it with Olive Oil, then use either Stubb's Chile Lime or Rosemary Ginger rubs and smoke it with hickory and cherry woods until it's 135* internal.
Then wrap it up in foil and stash it in the cooler lined with towels for about an hour to an hour and a half.....Good Eatin!!!!

thirdeye
03-30-2010, 05:38 PM
I brine mine for two or three hours, season and rest for one hour in the fridge then cook to about 140*.

steev-o
03-30-2010, 06:21 PM
I brine mine for two or three hours, season and rest for one hour in the fridge then cook to about 140*.

+1^
I've had good results from brine, then apple/mesquite smoke.
Add some apple juice/cider to your brine, too. Pigs and apples are BFF!

OakPit
03-30-2010, 06:34 PM
Brine it with Salt, Water & Brown Sugar, Season with Maple Pepper, Paint with Honey/Mustard/Bourbon glaze, pull it at 145*, let it rest, eat that amazing porky goodness!

Don't cook past 155* or it turns to a dry sawdust consistency...just my .02

Brooks BBQ
03-30-2010, 06:44 PM
I brine mine: salt, brown sugar, and available white wine--overnight. Slather w/ mustard & appropriate pork rub. On Traeger with apple pellets, cooking med to slow, til 150 deg, then mop: vinegar, cranberry juice, garlic & rub mixed in. Take off at 165.

It is a fave here.

Alan in Ga
03-30-2010, 06:46 PM
Thanks guys now I need about 20 loins to try them all

Cryodain
03-30-2010, 07:03 PM
Careful with brine/rub combo, might get too salty.

bbqbull
03-30-2010, 07:15 PM
Ive never brined a pork loin, just a coating of oil and cook to an internal temp of 140 at the thickest portion, pull from the smoker and foil.
Its internal temp will climb at least 5 degrees or more.
Rest a bit and slice.
I also do my pork chops the same way.

KnucklHed BBQ
03-30-2010, 07:34 PM
The most sucessfull pork loin i've ever done - rubbed down with about a tablespoon of Busha Brown's jamacan jerk paste and some EVOO and let sit in fridge for 3 days in ziplock. smoked with apple & hickory to 145, wrap and let rest to 155 - 160'ish.

3 of us killed that entire loin as fast as we could slice it. If you've never tried Busha Brown's you're missing out. very concentrated and powerful flavors outta that stuff, use sparingly.

It has the most unique jerk flavor I've ever had, great on grilled boneless skinless chicken breast too - only use about a 1/4 tsp and some EVOO per breast though...

Ive never brined a pork loin, just a coating of oil and cook to an internal temp of 140 at the thickest portion, pull from the smoker and foil.
Its internal temp will climb at least 5 degrees or more.
Rest a bit and slice.
I also do my pork chops the same way.

No rub at all?? just oil?

CaptainJimmy
03-30-2010, 07:45 PM
i've had excellent results with brining overnight in a vacuum marinating container, smoke roasting at 350f over apple....tasty stuff.

O-Town
03-30-2010, 08:17 PM
Man those are all great ideas for you. However I noticed you said you want to practice for a G.B.A. sanctioned contest. According to their rules you will not be able to do any brine/marinade/seasoning prior to inspection. I noticed some of these recipes mentioned call for long brines/marinades. I would reckon you would need to stay with a simple quick brine you can use post inspection. I myself do a 1/4 cup Soy sauce,1/4 cup Balsamic vinegar,1/4 cup Olive oil. Throw it in a ziplock bag on ice for 30 minutes to an hour and you are ready to season and cook. Hope it works for you.:thumb:

Alan in Ga
03-30-2010, 09:01 PM
O-Town you are right a Brine probably wouldn't be possible for a comp and I am looking for a comp recipe but I really appreciate the feedback of everyone and I will try these recipes for the family and friends and maybe catering jobs. I like the loin but my wifes not a big fan and I want to change her mind. Thank you again guys.

SmokenIdaho
03-30-2010, 09:51 PM
Pork Loin is my families favorite.
I rub it with Olive Oil and put Treager's Pork and Poultry Shake on it and smoke it for about three hrs and then Foil it and bring it up to about 140.
let it set a bit and slice it up.

stiffy
03-31-2010, 12:17 AM
I think that Pork Loin and Apples go very well together, I have oven roasted one that was sitting in a bed of apples, was incredulous....

KnucklHed BBQ
03-31-2010, 12:42 AM
In reference to my comment about the busha browns jerk paste, it's strong enough stuff that I think you could get some great flavor out of it in 10 hrs or so... I've only done it at the 3 day mark.

Lake Dogs
03-31-2010, 06:58 AM
Good question Alan. I've been pondering the same thing myself. Dont worry; I'm
sure we'll end up with very different pork loins! :-) I may try to catch the GBA
cookoff in Macon in July/August, for Georgia Outdoor News...