PDA

View Full Version : Great Woot Today!

PatioDaddio
03-30-2010, 10:30 AM
FYI...

TrueFire Gourmet Cedar Grilling Plank – 12 Pack (7"x12") - $14.99 (http://www.woot.com/)

John

Arlin_MacRae
03-30-2010, 11:11 AM
I'm all over that - thanks, John!

Oh, and Grillman posted it EARLY this morning:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81447

Rodney
03-30-2010, 02:17 PM
Just ordered some. I've been meaning to try cedar plank salmon, and may do your Asian glazed recipe the first time out.

So, something I've always wondered is... why cedar? It's a resinous wood that isn't good for smoking, is it not? Obviously it's an exception to some extent... Have you tried other woods, like oak?

-Rodney

Nick@ParkAQ
03-31-2010, 11:20 AM
You can also make your own planks from untreated boards. Why cedar? its my understanding that cedar imparts a smoky flavor and increases juice retention in the fish. Wine Soaked Oak is an interesting variation.

PatioDaddio
03-31-2010, 11:32 AM
Cedar planking was developed by the native Americans in the Pacific Northwest as a means of cooking their fish. It was partly due to tradition, but mainly out of necessity and convenience. They would nail the fish to a damp cedar plank and prop them up near a fire.

Why cedar? I presume because it's a soft wood that is very plentiful in the region.

http://www.popmatters.com/images/columns_art/j/justice-shad-2.jpg

John

Derek
03-31-2010, 11:41 AM
if I had the money I would be too, but that money is saved for my grill smoker purchase!

KnucklHed BBQ
03-31-2010, 11:46 AM
I'm originally from the PNW and I've godda tell you, I've never seen and indian cooking fish that way... :laugh:

Joking aside, I've cooked many fillets on planks of all sorts and cedar is my least favorite. It's still good, but I really don't care for the strong cedar flavor that comes out of a new plank.

If I use cedar I fill up a 5 gal bucket with water, insert all the planks place something heavy on top to keep them submerged and come back a week later and do it again.

The water will be dark dark brown/black from all the tannins and stuff that is pulled out of the planks, even the 2nd time, heck I tried it with a plank 1 time to see how many buckets it would take to get clear (ish) water after soaking... it was somewhere around 7 or 8.

After soaking, I let the plank sit out and dry. Resoak for 1/2 hr before you use and now you'll get a much milder, slightly cedar flavor that I think compliments the fish, not over powers it.

BTW - maple or alder are my favorite planks to use.

btcg
03-31-2010, 11:52 AM
if I had the money I would be too, but that money is saved for my grill smoker purchase!

You're getting a new grill?

First I've heard of this.

:icon_shy

The BBQ QB
03-31-2010, 11:56 AM
Pacific Northwest Indians used the Cedar for many things.

As the tree is easy to hand split, the use in construction of housing was commonplace. Wooden wedges, beaver teeth, and stone axes were all used to split the Cedar into planks.

As it is aromatic and pleasing to the senses, it is a natural extension that the wood splitters used the excess or unusable boards as a platform for cooking salmon.

Mike D

Derek
03-31-2010, 11:58 AM
You're getting a new grill?

First I've heard of this.

:icon_shyCheck out my Where to buy a small BGE smoker online at.

That will show you which smoker/grill I'm looking at.

I'm waiting until the 21st of Apirl to see both in action, but I'm really big time leaning over twards the wsm 22.5 smoker/grill!

btcg
03-31-2010, 12:00 PM
I thought your Uncle was going to build a UDS for you?

Derek
03-31-2010, 12:15 PM
I thought your Uncle was going to build a UDS for you?Not any more, my ncle is down in florida with his wife for the summer!

Let's get back on subject, And Thanks for the link on the cedar plank!

Oh well dollar late day short!

btcg
03-31-2010, 04:18 PM
I think subject is pretty well exausted... they sold out of those planks in mere hours. I tried to order some... no such luck.

Didn't mean to yank yer chain... but reading your daily exploits on the new grill front kinda puts me in mind of that commercial on tv where the kid tells his Dad that he's got to stop using Twitter, and as he tells him, the Dad Tweets: "I am sitting on the back porch now."

I wouldn't want to play chess with you, Dman. :-D

Derek
03-31-2010, 04:25 PM
Btcg, It's cool man. I liked that commercial by the way.