PDA

View Full Version : rails or trays for charcoal in the kettle?

imaisufan
03-28-2010, 12:01 PM
Hi all,
Got a new 22.5 kettle yesterday, and plan to use it for those cooks that are a little to small for the WSM. I've read through some older threads about this, but can't get a clear distinction if there is a wider preference for the Weber trays or rails for the indirect heat cooks. Or should I just skip it and use a drip pan to keep the charcoal on one or both sides?

River City Smokehouse
03-28-2010, 12:03 PM
I don't use anything, I just put the coals off to the side.

Sunra
03-28-2010, 12:34 PM
You can use two firebricks to hold the charcoal to one side for offset cooking. I find that the weber trays are too small. I'm sure other will chime in.

vr6Cop
03-28-2010, 12:36 PM
I don't use anything, I just put the coals off to the side.
This. :thumb:

Bob S
03-28-2010, 12:52 PM
I got the charcoal baskets with my Performer and rarely use them. I prefer to bank the coals to the side (one side, both sides, ring, etc.) and get the fire exactly like I want it. I suggest you save your money and really explore what a kettle can do.

cameraman
03-28-2010, 12:54 PM
I have the trays and don't use them often because, as a previous poster noted, they're too small for long cooks.

Jeff Selle
03-28-2010, 01:02 PM
I agree with most. I do both methods... short cook=trays ... long cook=rack & water tray

imaisufan
03-28-2010, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the tips everyone! I think I'll pass on these for now, and throw the cash toward a thermometer for the dome!

Baby Back Maniac
03-28-2010, 02:32 PM
You can use two firebricks to hold the charcoal to one side for offset cooking. I find that the weber trays are too small. I'm sure other will chime in.

x's 2. :thumb:

JiveTurkey
03-28-2010, 02:47 PM
I have the racks and have used them for many years, I like them better than the trays for the same reasons noted above. You don't need them but I like to have them so I can define a straight line on my grate. I'm a little OCD I guess.

I also have the wire trays that came with the old style performers and they're okay, not as good the rails but better then than those POS aluminuminmimum trays that Weber sells now.

Either way you've got the best cooker on the planet earf and the best collective knowledge right here in this forum if you have questions. Happy grillin'!

ScreamingChicken
03-28-2010, 02:59 PM
I've been using the rails for years; sometimes I use them to split the coals into 2 piles and sometimes I'll string them together if I just have 1 mound off to the side.

Here's something to try: go set your 18" WSM ring inside your 22" kettle. It can be used to create a "ring of fire" that completely surrounds whatever it is that's being indirectly grilled.

Brad

Brian in Maine
03-28-2010, 03:08 PM
I have both, and like the rails. I have only used the trays once for the above stated reason.

mbshop
03-28-2010, 03:46 PM
i use the rails in conjuction with a bigger piece of expanded sheetmetal and a couple of fire bricks. all on one side. works better than great.

aquablue22
03-28-2010, 03:50 PM
I have these Weber rails that where my fathers, they have to be 30 - 40 years old, they clip on the fire grate. My son calls me lazy for using them, he just makes piles on either or both side and let's it go at that. I'll bet when he inherits these rails he uses them., they have sentimental value, I don't think Weber makes them anymore.

millsy
03-28-2010, 04:52 PM
I agree with most. I do both methods... short cook=trays ... long cook=rack & water tray
Me too

rolf
03-28-2010, 06:38 PM
The only advantage I can see for using the trays is to protect the enamel on the sides from direct contact with the coals. It could lead to chipping.

imaisufan
03-28-2010, 06:48 PM
Thanks everyone! About a year ago, I never would have thought a decision such as this would require so must angst and research! I guess like JiveTurkey, I may be a bit OCD :). I might get some rails or bricks, but will try a few cooks w/o first.

Brauma
03-28-2010, 08:56 PM
I've used two firebricks, a cheap pan that I sometimes fill with sand sometimes water, or nothing at all. Just bank a pile of briqs up one one side, way up on the wall is fine, and you're good to go. You can make this complicated but there's nothin complicated here.

swamprb
03-28-2010, 09:50 PM
I rarely cook anything that takes over 3 hours using the Char-baskets or the rails and never never had to add more coals. Usually rotisserie cooks with a drip pan between them. I have both.