PDA

View Full Version : I wish...I could cook a rib! (pr0n)

kik_start
03-27-2010, 09:17 PM
I have tried and tried....this may ba the best attempt but still no go IMO....

on the UDS,

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t193/kik_start/DSC_0525.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t193/kik_start/DSC_0529.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t193/kik_start/DSC_0532.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t193/kik_start/DSC_0546.jpg

looks good...smells good....taste good....but still something wrong.....???????????????????????????

frm the pics can you tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Bluesman
03-27-2010, 09:23 PM
The brown sugar looks to be caked on. Mix the brown sugar, parkay and honey in a bowl. Slather this on the foil, then put the rack on top of the slather meat DOWN. Slather the bone side, which should be facing up, with some more of the mixture, wrap and put back on the cooker. The sugar will melt and caramlize along with the honey and parkay, leaving behind a wonderful liquid when opened.

Bbq Bubba
03-27-2010, 09:24 PM
Stop putting all that crap on em. :)

hnd
03-27-2010, 09:32 PM
there are ribs under all that butter and brown sugar?

Meat Burner
03-27-2010, 09:33 PM
kik, start with just a little salt and pepper as a base cook. Then change or add one thing at a time to see what works for your taste and how your smoker works. Build on a simple cook first to see what works!Keep us posted bro.

monty3777
03-27-2010, 09:34 PM
Putting on butter and sugar may work for comps - but I think you'll like them better without all that garbage. It's har to see the final product because it looks like a bunch of ribs stacked on a grate - not much to see :heh:

However, from what you say they taste good - so what could possibly be wrong with them??? :-D

kik_start
03-27-2010, 09:38 PM
I did the 3-2-1 method to a T....

2 in the foil...with the butter and brown sugar...and one more out of foil, the on the plate.

They taste ...OK....not great....they seem over done to me....not fall off the bone done but close.
I've eaten good ribs and these would have made me embarrassed....

Maybe the ribs and not the cook?

kik_start
03-27-2010, 09:39 PM
Putting on butter and sugar may work for comps - but I think you'll like them better without all that garbage. It's har to see the final product because it looks like a bunch of ribs stacked on a grate - not much to see :heh:

However, from what you say they taste good - so what could possibly be wrong with them??? :-D

edible..., just looking for better...

monty3777
03-27-2010, 09:40 PM
Let's start from the beginning - did you rub? If so, with what?

Did you use a sauce to glaze? If so, what?

kik_start
03-27-2010, 09:42 PM
I really thought that everyone used brown sugar and butter with ribs after reading all the posts here....
this was the first time i"ve tried it, and it seemed good, but not over the top like some of the BBQ comp videos seem to think....

BBQ Grail
03-27-2010, 09:43 PM

AMEN my BBQ Brother!

kik_start
03-27-2010, 09:46 PM
Let's start from the beginning - did you rub? If so, with what?

Did you use a sauce to glaze? If so, what?

rub, yes....plowboys bovine bold....
no sauce to glaze

3 with rub @ 250-275
2 in foil with margarine and brown sugar
1 out of foil

all at no more than 275, seemed overdone, close to fall off the bone but not quite...(barely OK) taste was cool but not great like I have had....hard to explain...

DanPop
03-27-2010, 09:50 PM

^ what he said ^

monty3777
03-27-2010, 09:52 PM
rub, yes....plowboys bovine bold....
no sauce to glaze

3 with rub @ 250-275
2 in foil with margarine and brown sugar
1 out of foil

all at no more than 275, seemed overdone, close to fall off the bone but not quite...(barely OK) taste was cool but not great like I have had....hard to explain...

Bovine Bold is awesome - that's not your issue.

However, if you are cooking that high then you are way overcooking IMO. Try this. Stay around 300* Cook for 1.5 without foil, the cook for 1.5 foiled. Add some juice or butter if you want. I'd re-rub as well! You will probably be close to done then. You may need a bit more time - in fact count on it, but you'll be closer to the mark. If you want to lower the temp increase the time a bit - but I guarantee that at 275* for 6 hours those ribs will be mush!

kik_start
03-27-2010, 09:56 PM
I was thinkin the same..^^...I was looking after 1.5 and thought, wow, they are going to be way done but wanted to stay with the plan....

I need to just cook and stop over thinking////

bbqbull
03-27-2010, 09:59 PM
I really thought that everyone used brown sugar and butter with ribs after reading all the posts here....
this was the first time i"ve tried it, and it seemed good, but not over the top like some of the BBQ comp videos seem to think....

Some days I put nothing on my ribs.
Other times I will use a light coating of salt and pepper.
Ive never put brown sugar nor butter/margerine on my ribs.

Like others have said, start with a base rub, change one thing at a time.

What temp are you cooking your ribs at?

Are you cooking your ribs on a BGE? If so are you using a plate setter for a heat diffuser?
I am seeing some burning on the rib meat, not quite enough pull back on the bone.
Just going by what I can see in your photos.

monty3777
03-27-2010, 10:01 PM
I was thinkin the same..^^...I was looking after 1.5 and thought, wow, they are going to be way done but wanted to stay with the plan....

I need to just cook and stop over thinking////

Nothing wron with over thinking - or overcooking. My problem when I first started was pulling them too soon. I'd much rather work backwards. Like they say, "Overcooked always beats undercooked."

See you in the smoke!

JiveTurkey
03-27-2010, 10:06 PM
Fall off the bone is overdone for many rib purists. If that is what you like then leave them in the foil longer and they'll braise. Also what others have said lose all the gunk, keep it simple, do the bend test to know when they're done and cook longer from there to get fall off the bone. Keep trying you'll get it. I mess up ribs all the time but I learn something new with each screw up.

kik_start
03-27-2010, 10:11 PM
change one thing at a time.

this is exactly my problem....I try to change more than I can keep track of....

What temp are you cooking your ribs at?

250-275 (300 was max...but not for long)

Are you cooking your ribs on a BGE?

nope UDS...
but I have tried on my Weber kettle several times with worse results....

I am seeing some burning on the rib meat, not quite enough pull back on the bone.

how would one get this done? more cook time at lower temp? better meat???? I'm at a loss?

kik_start
03-27-2010, 10:15 PM
Fall off the bone is overdone for many rib purists. If that is what you like then leave them in the foil longer and they'll braise. Also what others have said lose all the gunk, keep it simple, do the bend test to know when they're done and cook longer from there to get fall off the bone. Keep trying you'll get it. I mess up ribs all the time but I learn something new with each screw up.

here is what they looked like right before I foiled them...almost wish I would have just left them on a little longer and ate them like that....

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t193/kik_start/DSC_0524.jpg

DanPop
03-27-2010, 10:33 PM
The thing is, everyone does it differently and likes it to taste a certain way. None of it's wrong, just different. I tried foiling and adding all that junk and it's not for me, maybe it's just not for you either. I wont foil period, I've always liked it just fine without doing that.

JiveTurkey
03-27-2010, 10:34 PM
Bend looks good but the rib bones haven't pulled back much either. It's never easy is it?! :-P

sdb25
03-27-2010, 11:57 PM
I'll tell ya, I think thats WAY too much margarine. I don't really like margarine, so I use butter.

First, generous rub followed by 3 hours in the smoke at 225. I prefer hickory for ribs, but apple is nice too, especially if you have a subtler, sweet rub. I use a diffuser on my charcoal basket, so the cook is a bit more even.

Second, place ribs in foil and cover the top of the ribs with a even 1/8 inch layer of brown sugar. Nice and even, like a consistent layer on top. Then, drizzle honey over top, about a line per bone. Then, I put 3 pats of butter (one middle and one near each end). If your rub is a little light, you can also sprinkle some over top of the rack at this point. 2-3 tablespoons of apple juice in the foil, then wrap 'em up and back on for 2 hours.

Third, unwrap the ribs (save the juice; it is the secret to a GREAT bbq sauce base). Back on the smoke at 225. You can paint on some of your favorite sauce if that's what you like. Depending on the amount of sugar in your sauce, an hour may be too much. So, you might wanna put it on toward the end.

bigabyte
03-28-2010, 12:05 AM
I agree with many others her on there being too much stuff. It's just a little butter, liek a few pats equivalent, a single row of them spaced an inch or so apart for example, and a brown sugar sprinkled on. If you are using apple juice, then just a little, a few tablespoons is all ya need for moisture really.

Derek
03-28-2010, 01:01 AM
If you still want brown sugar and butta, Just make a mop out of the butta and brown sugar ( you may have to experiment ) to get the mop right and then spray it on the ribs every time you check them out.

River City Smokehouse
03-28-2010, 03:51 AM
here is what they looked like right before I foiled them...almost wish I would have just left them on a little longer and ate them like that....

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t193/kik_start/DSC_0524.jpg
I think you are on the right track, just maybe moving a bit too fast. IMO, I would back off on the Johnny Trigg stuff and go 3 hrs in the smoke just with rub, then foil the ribs meat side down along with some apple juice and brown sugar mixed and give it 1.5 hrs in the pit. Remove them from the foil and give them about 1 hour in the pit again with a light sprinkle of rub. When you are 15 minutes out of your last hour, glaze them lightly with your sauce. Remove them from the smoker and let them rest for a few. Give them a final glaze, then see where you need to make adjustments. Oh yea.....write down what you did every cook so you can go back and change the things you need to. Good Luck!!

Crüe-B-Cüe
03-28-2010, 06:58 AM
Are you measuring grate temp or side temp in the UDS. Could make a big difference. I'm too lazy for all the foiling and adding all that crap. I rub then throw them on the UDS. At 225 grate temp it takes 5-6 hours. At 275 grate temp they take 4-5 hours. I like them sauced so I put a little on the last 20 minutes or so. Just try it basic and simple and then add from there.

topchefvt52
03-28-2010, 07:28 AM
I find that 4 hrs at 275 is more than enough time for 2.5 lb St Louis....straight cooked or foiled.

Yleekyoti
03-28-2010, 07:45 AM
http://i771.photobucket.com/albums/xx360/Yleekyoti/ribs2327.jpg

Baby backs Rubbed and brown sugar coated , cooked on uds bone down 5 hrs, spritz with apple cider vinegar every hour. no foil no flip .
Best ribs Ive ever cooked.:cool:

Derek
03-28-2010, 08:09 AM
http://i771.photobucket.com/albums/xx360/Yleekyoti/ribs2327.jpg

Baby backs Rubbed and brown sugar coated , cooked on uds bone down 5 hrs, spritz with apple cider vinegar every hour. no foil no flip .
Best ribs Ive ever cooked.:cool:

You stole my cookie sheet :P

Yleekyoti
03-28-2010, 08:29 AM
Sorry about that . It was just settin there ....... LOL
:cool:

Rick's Tropical Delight
03-28-2010, 08:37 AM

no doubt

rookiedad
03-28-2010, 08:52 AM
i don't know for sure if this is the problem, but it might help. when i do the sugar in foil thing(most times i don't even do that. st. louis 275* for five hours. baby backs 275* for three) i try to keep the flavors balanced. think sweet, heat, salt and acid, so along with the sugar and butter i would add some cayanne, salt, acid, vinegar. the ratios depend on you!

Desert Dweller
03-28-2010, 09:25 AM
Third, unwrap the ribs (save the juice; it is the secret to a GREAT bbq sauce base).

DO NOT DO THIS unless you are going to use the sauce up and not save any for next time. Bacteria from the meat juices will grow and spoil the sauce. Just like a marinade, you do not reuse that, do not reuse anthing containing meat juices. Better to be safe than sorry.

Chef Jim
03-28-2010, 09:47 AM
kik, start with just a little salt and pepper as a base cook. Then change or add one thing at a time to see what works for your taste and how your smoker works. Build on a simple cook first to see what works!Keep us posted bro.

What he said. The KISS principle Or just try something like Yardbird, Cause you got way too much sweet on them for me.

Derek
03-28-2010, 10:24 AM
Thank you guys.

I'll put up a new logo later this evening, And see if you guys like it ok?

Ron_L
03-28-2010, 10:35 AM
Thank you guys.

I'll put up a new logo later this evening, And see if you guys like it ok?

Um... You're welcome?

What does this have to do with kik's ribs?

looks good...smells good....taste good....but still something wrong.....???????????????????????????

frm the pics can you tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Kik, I've read through his thread a couple of times, but I didn't see where you told us what you thought was wrong with them. What was it that you didn't like?

Derek
03-28-2010, 10:44 AM
Um... You're welcome?

What does this have to do with kik's ribs?

Kik, I've read through his thread a couple of times, but I didn't see where you told us what you thought was wrong with them. What was it that you didn't like?I made a big mistake, I put that message in the wrong thread.

Sorry Kik, Didn't mean too. I had both threads open in Mozilla and I accidentally switched tabs, LOL!

kik_start
03-28-2010, 11:28 AM
Kik, I've read through his thread a couple of times, but I didn't see where you told us what you thought was wrong with them. What was it that you didn't like?

1. the texture, the meat was too soft (greasy/ fatty texture to the meat)
2. the taste wasn't as good as I've eaten others have cooked

They were OK...just not what I expected...

I have tried to cook ribs several times and these were the best to date but still something not right.
I kinda am with everyone on putting too much on them, maybe next time just try less.

Ron_L
03-28-2010, 12:07 PM
OK... Let's focus on those...

I can see three possible causes here...

A. The Parkay. Since you said greasy, either eliminate it or cut back on it.
B. Foiling. Foiling can cause a softer texture. Either try it without foil or shorten the foil time.
C. Over cooking. Shortening the foil time may help with this, or just shortening the cook time overall. Use the bend test or use a toothpick in the meaty parts to check when they were done.

What what it about the taste? Too sweet? Use less brown sugar. Too salty? Probably too much Parkay. Not spicy enough? Add a little cayenne to the rub.

As the others have suggested, I would simplify things and start out with a simple rub and lose the sugar/ Parkay, etc. until you have nailed the process. then you can start to experiment.

71-South
03-28-2010, 04:56 PM
Bovine bold is really for beef. Yard bird is for pork and poultry.

sdb25
03-28-2010, 07:02 PM
DO NOT DO THIS unless you are going to use the sauce up and not save any for next time. Bacteria from the meat juices will grow and spoil the sauce.

The ribs are already cooked at this point and can be eaten right outta the foil if you like, so I have no problem with the juice that comes out. It's not meat juice, but some rendered fat and mosly the sugar and butter. It steams in the foil, and any bacteria still present after 5 hours in a 225 drum are dead. Thanks for your concern though.

devious
03-28-2010, 07:50 PM
were the ribs you cooked "enhanced". i just did three racks of "enhanced ribs the same way i doall the time and they came out a little off.

smellysockalarmclock
03-28-2010, 08:32 PM
I have noticed cooking on the UDS, being a pretty humid cooker not needing to foil with or so much liquid. I either pass on the foil or at min cut it half with very little added liquid.
OK... Let's focus on those...

I can see three possible causes here...

A. The Parkay. Since you said greasy, either eliminate it or cut back on it.
B. Foiling. Foiling can cause a softer texture. Either try it without foil or shorten the foil time.
C. Over cooking. Shortening the foil time may help with this, or just shortening the cook time overall. Use the bend test or use a toothpick in the meaty parts to check when they were done.

What what it about the taste? Too sweet? Use less brown sugar. Too salty? Probably too much Parkay. Not spicy enough? Add a little cayenne to the rub.

As the others have suggested, I would simplify things and start out with a simple rub and lose the sugar/ Parkay, etc. until you have nailed the process. then you can start to experiment.