PDA

View Full Version : Beef rub

Meatball
03-26-2010, 08:20 AM
I am going to try to make shredded beef sandwiches this weekend.
I have a 9lb. chuck roast i will be making in the UDS. I am looking for any help on a rub recipe for this piece of meat.

Cigarbque
03-26-2010, 08:28 AM
I find that chilli powder and cumin go well with beef. Easy on the cumin though.

Salt, black pepper, chili powder, cumin, garlic and onion granules and you can't go wrong. I stay away from sugar on the beef. Leave that for pork.

If you get a chance to try Plowboy's Bovine Bold it is excellent on beef. So is Butchers Brisket rub and Tasty Licks Red Eye Red Meat rub is also very good.

bigabyte
03-26-2010, 08:54 AM
You don't even have to bother mixing up a rub. Just sprinkle on salt, then some garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, chili powder and then a liberal sprinkling of black pepper. If you have Montreal Steak Seasoning add that too.

Heavenly Hog
03-26-2010, 08:57 AM
You don't even have to bother mixing up a rub. Just sprinkle on salt, then some garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, chili powder and then a liberal sprinkling of black pepper. If you have Montreal Steak Seasoning add that too.

Second that.....and maybe inject it with some beef broth mixed w/ au jus powder. You can't go wrong any which way you do it.

texman02
03-26-2010, 09:23 AM
I used Bovine Bold on my last chuckie....came out great

Meatball
03-26-2010, 09:54 AM
What do you think about 10 hrs @ 225-250 ?

Heavenly Hog
03-26-2010, 09:58 AM
Unfortunately there is no set time. Size, thickness, temp, etc..can affect how long it takes to cook. Get yourself a good meat thermometer. You can plan on it taking quite a while!

Meatball
03-26-2010, 03:42 PM
Thanks for all the help

frayed knot
03-26-2010, 03:53 PM
Last time I smoked a chuckie for shredded beef, I whipped up this rub. It has a lot of ingredients, but it came out really great. Not sure I could duplicate it exactly - I just adjust the ingredients until I like it.

Start with equal parts of turbinado sugar and kosher salt. Then add (in no particular order and in various quantities):Black pepper
White pepper
Cayenne
Onion powder
Garlic powder
Sweet paprika
Hot paprika
Thyme
Oregano
Ground Basil
Mustard powder
Celery salt

After all said and done - here is the result:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_Wd_Jjv2AohI/Svgo62qoUNI/AAAAAAAAAOo/YAKCMUE67Fs/s576/photo.jpg

Good luck!

deguerre
03-26-2010, 03:56 PM
Sometimes I like just a simple coating of evoo, salt, coarsly ground black pepper, garlic powder and as much cayenne as you can stand.:wink:

justjack
03-26-2010, 05:42 PM
I slow roasted a rump the other week that I had slathered with my garlic bread mixture, came up very nice.
8 Sprigs fresh rosemary, stripped and chopped
1 Tbs fresh cracked black pepper - fairly coarse
1 Tbs sea salt
8 cloves garlic crushed and chopped fairly fine
Extra virgin olive oil
Rubbed it into the roast and left overnight in the fridge.

Btw, my garlic bread is this mix, mostly the dry ingredients, as little oil as possible to help it spread, on home made pizza dough base, topped with a little grated romano. Bake until golden.

MushCreek
03-26-2010, 05:44 PM
I use fennel seed (along with all the usual characters) on most things beef, but it's not for everyone.

seattlepitboss
03-26-2010, 11:44 PM
Here's the rub I've been using on chuck roast -- it's REALLY good!

Beef rub is different than pork rub. Pork loves sweetness, but beef does not.

Yield: a little over half a cup

Ingredients
2 tablespoons table salt
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
2 teaspoons ancho chili powder
2 teaspoons mustard powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon cayenne or chipotle powder

Tripled: (enough for a whole 25# chuck roll with left over after)
6 tablespoons salt
6 tablespoons sugar
6 tablespoons ground pepper
3 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons ancho chili powder
2 tablespoons dried mustard
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon chipotle powder

Or just use Bovine Bold, which I have ordered but haven't yet tried.

seattlepitboss