PDA

View Full Version : Craigslist - Kumoto smoker?

Philly-QueMaster
03-25-2010, 08:08 AM
I found this smoker on craigslist today. Does anyone know anything about it and if its a good smoker? Looks like a ceramic one.

http://reading.craigslist.org/for/1652937367.html

Thoughts??

Thanks

NeoTrout
03-25-2010, 08:25 AM
Don't know anything about them. They may mean Komodo? Try www.komodokamado.com :cool:

Philly-QueMaster
03-25-2010, 08:30 AM
Thats what I thought. I thought it was a typo and they meant Komodo. I'll have to do more research.

Mr. Bub
03-25-2010, 08:34 AM
Doesn't say what the size is but those things are quite expensive. Very much like a Big Green Egg, the Komodo makes their's with different finishes. If you can, get the size and compare the price to a new one you'll know what kind of savings you are getting. Almost everyone raves about the Big Green Egg which are able to do anything you would want in a BBQ/Smoker/Roaster.

Philly-QueMaster
03-25-2010, 08:55 AM
It looks like one of these.

http://www.kamadoking.s5.com/photo.html

jason
03-25-2010, 09:10 AM
It's hard to tell from the pictures. It could be one of the older clay kamados from the 60's and 70's that inspired the Big Green Egg and the other ceramic cookers. If it is an older clay kamado then it will not handle the high heat cooks( >400F).

Philly-QueMaster
03-25-2010, 09:29 AM
It's hard to tell from the pictures. It could be one of the older clay kamados from the 60's and 70's that inspired the Big Green Egg and the other ceramic cookers. If it is an older clay kamado then it will not handle the high heat cooks( >400F).

I called and smoke to the guy who is selling it. He said its about 7-8 years old and its about 20" in diameter. He said it weighs about 75-80lbs and is in good shape. Not sure if this is worth it or now. I don't really need anotehr grill....I just picked up a Weber Performer last week...not sure my wife would be happy with me picking up another one so soon.

jason
03-25-2010, 10:47 AM
Yea my wife said I had to get rid of one of mine before I can get anymore. I really should put the Brinkmann SNP on Craigslist. I haven't fired it up in a year.

Professor Salt
03-25-2010, 10:54 AM
For sure it ain't a Komodo brand kamado.

Kamado is a Japanese word for a fire pit, and it's misspelled all over the place.

BluesDaddy
03-25-2010, 12:20 PM
I called and smoke to the guy who is selling it. He said its about 7-8 years old and its about 20" in diameter. He said it weighs about 75-80lbs and is in good shape. Not sure if this is worth it or now. I don't really need anotehr grill....I just picked up a Weber Performer last week...not sure my wife would be happy with me picking up another one so soon.

Sorry for butting in with a first post, but if this is in good shape at $150 it is definitely worth it. 20" in diameter means it's the size of the large BGE - an 18.5" grill. I had a BGE made out of the clay for almost 20 years. Yeah, it wouldn't take high heat - had to patch it a few times early on (but I learned). But you can cook just about anything well maintaining the heat approx. 350 degrees and under. It is about as set and forget as you can get in a backyard smoker. Wish I lived nearby to get it!!

BTW, I'm a long time BBQer, griller and smoker - but just started hanging out here. No competitions or anything, just back yard goodness.

seattlepitboss
03-25-2010, 01:07 PM
If that is a Kamado, I would advise being extremely cautious before buying it. Kamados are known to develop cracks throughout the body and lid and when the crack goes through they fall apart. Kamado owners do what they can, scrubbing the inside painfully, grinding into
the cracks, patching with furnace cement - it's endless. And they fall apart anyway.

Have a look here: http://www.kamadofraudforum.org

Big Green Eggs are much better. They seem to have dialed in the ceramic mix so it doesn't
crack.

seattlepitboss

Philly-QueMaster
03-25-2010, 01:17 PM
Thanks I'm going to pass.