PDA

View Full Version : Uncured-uncooked ham

dedmete
03-25-2010, 08:01 AM
My buddy wants to smoke a ham that isn't cured or pre-cooked. It weighs around 20lbs, still has a decent layer of fat and the skin on 1 side and bone-in. I'm at a loss here, I've never smoked anything like this. He hasn't bought it yet, I told him I'd ask around first to see if it's worth it. I'm think we should do something else, but he has his heart set on this (we're helping him move this weekend so it needs to feed a bunch of hungry guys). There won't be enough time to brine it either. Any ideas?

nolesfan954
03-25-2010, 08:06 AM
I smoked one once, but it had the taste and consistency of a pork roast rather than a ham, not at all what I was expecting/hoping for.

4TheLoveofBrisket
03-25-2010, 08:09 AM
Wow, the brethren are suddenly transfixed on cured meats all of a sudden. :becky: Simply put, without the curing process, you're going to have a cooked piece of pork, nothing more. If he's going for the ham flavor, there is no way around the cure process. The cure process gives ham the different taste, color, and texture of the meat. And curing a piece of meat that big takes time.

dedmete
03-25-2010, 08:31 AM
Wow, the brethren are suddenly transfixed on cured meats all of a sudden. :becky: Simply put, without the curing process, you're going to have a cooked piece of pork, nothing more. If he's going for the ham flavor, there is no way around the cure process. The cure process gives ham the different taste, color, and texture of the meat. And curing a piece of meat that big takes time.

He's actually hoping for more of a whole hog pig roast type taste. Which I don't think is going to happen... because we're missing the rest of the hog.

Bbq Bubba
03-25-2010, 08:35 AM
Cook it like a butt to desired temp weather slicing or pulling. Not much internal fat in a ham.

dedmete
03-25-2010, 08:45 AM
Cook it like a butt to desired temp weather slicing or pulling. Not much internal fat in a ham.

With the lack of fat marbling like a butt, I was afraid it would dry out and never become pull-able.

BlkJeep
03-25-2010, 09:23 AM
I cooked one last year on my drum! Kind of last min so I injected it w/ a red wine and brown sugar mix that I made the night before. Put on the UDS and smoked it till internal hit about 180 I think. Then we pulled! It was really good!

mgwerks
03-25-2010, 09:28 AM
If he hasn't bought it yet, suggest he try a different cut for this last-minute operation.

deguerre
03-25-2010, 09:28 AM
I cooked one last year on my drum! Kind of last min so I injected it w/ a red wine and brown sugar mix that I made the night before. Put on the UDS and smoked it till internal hit about 180 I think. Then we pulled! It was really good!
Cool. How much did it weigh and how long at what average temp?

Harbormaster
03-25-2010, 09:56 AM
I cooked a bunch of those on my WSMs at A Pretty Good BBQ last year. They were all pretty big, could barely get the domes on.
But let me tell you, they produces some awesome tasting pulled pork!
Did some for a church event once here in Wisconsin too. They were cooked on a pig cooker with rotis, and were also very good.
They call them "green hams", don't they?

BBQ Bandit
03-25-2010, 10:04 AM
I cooked a bunch of those on my WSMs at A Pretty Good BBQ last year. They were all pretty big, could barely get the domes on.

As long as you keep your dome probe cleared...:becky::becky::becky:

But let me tell you, they produces some awesome tasting pulled pork!
Did some for a church event once here in Wisconsin too. They were cooked on a pig cooker with rotis, and were also very good.
They call them "green hams", don't they?

Yup... also known as 'fresh hams'

rookiedad
03-25-2010, 10:13 AM
if i were you i'd give it a try. inject it real well and smoke it till its a nice mohagony color with a pan under it to catch the drippings, then put it in the pan and seal with foil. crank the temp to 350* and take it to 200* internal. when you open it it should be sitting in some juice. de-fat this juice in a fat seperator and save. take the skin off and put it back on the smoker to crisp it up a bit, while letting the rest of it rest under foil back to 160*. if it dosn't pull well you could always chop it. add back the juice and some of the chopped up crispy skin and sauce as desired. serve on rolls with cole slaw! enjoy!

BlkJeep
03-25-2010, 07:51 PM
guerry
I have no idea how much it weighed. It was off of a half of hog that we were cooking. Cooked at about 225 and I think it took about 10 hours. But we open a can when we opened the drum to light it so some things are a bit vague!

bigabyte
03-25-2010, 11:30 PM
Just do it like a butt, post pics, and let us know how it worked out!:cool:

dedmete
03-26-2010, 06:53 AM

Will do! Food pr0n to follow. We're going to start it tonight. Everyone: thanks for all the info!

dedmete
03-26-2010, 07:02 AM

Will do! Food pr0n to follow. We're going to start it tonight. Everyone: thanks for all the info!