PDA

View Full Version : smoked sirloin tip question

tntjz3
03-20-2010, 12:34 AM
Picked up a huge sirloin tip today, plan on smokin it. I have never tried one of these, how long will it take, and what rub to use? Thanks!

Midnight Smoke
03-20-2010, 01:01 AM
Define Huge....

SoEzzy
03-20-2010, 01:03 AM
How big is huge?

How do you like your beef, rare, medium rare, medium, medium well or well done?

What temperature are you planning on cooking at?

In the zone 225 -250 you'll be looking at about 44 - 47 minutes / lb for rare, for every 25* that you increase the temperature, decrease the time by 3 minutes, for every degree of cookedness rare being 1 and well done being 5 add 3 - 4 minutes / lb, so well done would be 44 - 47 + either (4 x 3) or (4 x 4) = 56 - 63 minutes /lb.

These are just some working numbers to get you in the ball park, I cook to internal temperature not to time!

boatnut
03-20-2010, 11:28 AM
I did a small sirloin tip "roast" the other day. I sprinkle outside with kosher salt then wrap in plastic and put in fridge overnight. Sort of like a "dry" brine. I think this helps make leaner cuts more juicy. I patted dry next day then just added black pepper and some garlic powder to outside. Montreal steak seasoning is good too. I seared it on the gasser then put into smoker. Took it out when probe said 130 then tented with foil and let rest for 15 mins. Came out medium rare all way thru and very tasty.

Ron_L
03-20-2010, 12:54 PM
How big is huge?

How do you like your beef, rare, medium rare, medium, medium well or well done?

What temperature are you planning on cooking at?

In the zone 225 -250 you'll be looking at about 44 - 47 minutes / lb for rare, for every 25* that you increase the temperature, decrease the time by 3 minutes, for every degree of cookedness rare being 1 and well done being 5 add 3 - 4 minutes / lb, so well done would be 44 - 47 + either (4 x 3) or (4 x 4) = 56 - 63 minutes /lb.

These are just some working numbers to get you in the ball park, I cook to internal temperature not to time!

I didn't know there would be math :-D

I like to cook lean beef roasts like this at a hotter temp (275 - 325) until it hits 130 internal and then let it rest. That would give you a nice medium rare. As far as seasoning, Montreal Steak Seasoning is good.