PDA

View Full Version : Pork RIB ISSUES!!!

Bigmofo300lbs
04-26-2004, 01:55 PM
Okay, before I got my smoker I was using my 30 gal barrel to make my baby back ribs. And they came out fine. Now I want to make the 'fall off the bone' kind of ribs. So I got two questions, 1) Anyone now of any firebox modifications for the firebox on a smoker similar to the silver or american gourmet http://www.charbroil.com/smokers/offset_smokers.asp Fire tends to put itself out. 2) Any tips on temps to cook the ribs at?

Bill-Chicago
04-26-2004, 02:15 PM
Big Mo,

Do a search in this forum of both "3-2-1" and "2-2-1"

That will get your bones falling off (and shooting across the table)

The link didnt work for me, so I'm gonna go figure out what your asking, but I think your talking about a tuning plate. There are picture of that in the Photo section, I think, of Phils Hondo and maybe DFLittles.

BBQchef33
04-26-2004, 02:17 PM
look in our files section. I have loaded a document a while back for mosds to horizontal smokers. On the silver, ya need 3 mods.

1- extend smokestack to grate level. Easy to do with a soup can.
2- move thermometer to grate level.
3- build a baffle. Baffle designs are in the document.

For the firebox, I used a firegrate larger than the one that came with it. I used a grate that i got from HD and cut it to size. This raised the grate about 3 inchs, leaving more room underneath for ash. Before finding the grate, I had the stock grate sitting on sections of firebrick.

the baffle design will work with any horizontal thats to narrow to accomodate tuning plates.

Bill-Chicago
04-26-2004, 02:18 PM
There, I edited your post and fixed the link.

Yep. you are talking about a tuning plate

Phil/David: can't find the tuning plate pictures.

Bigmofo300lbs
04-26-2004, 05:30 PM
Thanks for the tips fellahs!

chad
04-27-2004, 10:15 AM
I think my pics are in my posts from December when I got the offset smoker.

Here's the thread from December: it's also got a link/URL to a great site for these mods. Some of my pics are there too:

http://www.bandera-brethren.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=1152&start=0

The mods take about an hour to do. I didn't have to do the chimney extension (thanks to New Braunfels learning a few things.

I did the "tuning plate". I used a piece of sheet metal (I forget the gauge but I can bend it with plyers) - drilled it to bolt onto the bolts holding the firebox onto the chamber and then had enough metal to keep about 9 or 10 inches of baffle into the horizontal chamber and angled down a bit. I put a foild pan with liquid under the edge and it catches the dripping from the meat and provides some humidity.

Oh yeah, I did an expanded metal charcoal basket, too. Just cut and bend.