PDA

View Full Version : Releasing Derek's House Dr Pepper BBQ Sauce Recipe!

Derek
03-19-2010, 08:22 PM
As the title states I'm actually releasing the recipe to the Brethren forum since a lot of of you has helped me out in the smoking are. And I thought it would be a generous & nice gesture!

Derek's Dr Pepper BBQ Sauce!
Recipe!

Prep time 1 - 2 hours.
Cook Time 5-6 hours ( depending on your stove top and your cooking pot ).
Makes 6 jars.

Ok let's get started making the sauce.

First we will make the tomato sauce.
Ingredients
1.Great Value tomato paste
2.Garlic Powder 2 table spoons
3.Dill weed 2 table spoons
4.2 cans of water ( the great value can will work nicely )
5.2 table spoons of Italian seasoning.
6.2 table spoons of freshly ground black pepper

Directions
1.Make the sauce with the water
2.Add the dry ingredients ( taste often & change to suit your needs )
3.Add what ever you need to add it too...

Now set the sauce to the side ( in the fridge is fine )

Ok now where on to the pepper pot.
Prep time 30 to 45 minutes
cook time 45 minutes ( on simmer only & occially stiring )

Ingredients
1.2 BIG White Onions chopped loosely ( add first )
2.2 Red Bell Peppers chopped Loosely ( add first )
3.1 Habenero chopped loosely ( leave everything intact ) ( add first )
4.2 Red Jalapeno peppers, 2 Yellow Jalapeno Peppers, 2 Green Jalapino Peppers loosely chopped ( leave everything intact ) ( add first )
5.1 Garlic bulb ( loosely chopped ) ( add first )
6.1 Dried Chipoltly Pepper ( thrown in whole ) ( add first )
7.Half of a bulb of nut meg ( graded on a micro plane ) ( add first )
8.1 Can of diced tomatoes. ( with juice ) ( Add secondly )
9.The Homemade Tomatoes sauce ( Add Last )
9.1 Small Bottle of Jim Beam ( Add Last )

Let the pepper pot simmer for 45 minutes ( stir every 5- 8 minutes ) till the mixture is a soupy mess.

As soon as the 45 minute buzzer rings You are going to let the pepper pot cool down completely.

Once the pot is cooled we're ready for the final Ingredients, and cooking time.

Ok now that the pepper pot is cooled off we're ready!

Prep Time 15-20 Minutes.

The Dry Ingredients ( Add first )
1.2 & half cups of Dark Brown Sugar.
2.2 Tablespoons Smoked Peperika
3.2 Tablespoons Garlic powder
4 2 Tablespoons Crushed Red Pepper flakes
5.2 Tablespoons Onion powder
6.2 Tablespoons Chili powder

The Wet Ingredients
1.3 Cups Dr Pepper ( I've used Cherry flavor for mine )
2.1 Cup Of Worcestershire Sauce
3.1 & half cup of Balsamic vinegar
4.1 cup of Starch mixed with water

Mix the wet ingredients into the pepper pot and mix well.

Put the pot back on the stove and set the stove on simmer for 5-6 hours. ( stir every so often until thicken )

As soon as it's done thickening to your liking , turn the stove off and get your mesosphere out and amosafy it to your liking.

What it looks like when its done!
http://drp-photography.smugmug.com/Food/Dr-Pepper-BBQ-sauce/DSC00195/804325813_ULuaX-L.jpg

http://drp-photography.smugmug.com/Food/Dr-Pepper-BBQ-sauce/DSC00197/804362449_znR6o-L.jpg

http://drp-photography.smugmug.com/Food/Dr-Pepper-BBQ-sauce/DSC00199/804423861_Rxr8A-L.jpg

landarc
03-19-2010, 09:01 PM
AHHHH, it's in red! We are being modded..

Cool, thanks Derek. Looks spicy, is it?

T-Man
03-19-2010, 09:16 PM
Now ... That is a wild recipe....!!!!! I'll be watching you !!! ... Thanks...

bigabyte
03-19-2010, 09:34 PM
This is a must try.:cool:

btcg
03-19-2010, 09:49 PM
Derek,

I am grateful... but there's so much to this Dr... I need a nurse!

Paulmark
03-19-2010, 11:36 PM
Thanks Derek, copied and saved.:clap2:

Derek
03-20-2010, 07:04 AM
Welcome everyone.

This is how I did my amolsifying ( I did it enough where the chucks of peppers & onions got to bite morsels, and that's where I've stopped )

The whole cooking process will take every one if they do it right about 5-6 hours...

Derek
03-20-2010, 07:05 AM
Now ... That is a wild recipe....!!!!! I'll be watching you !!! ... Thanks...It took me a year to developed this recipe from a simple one I've found on the internet!

Derek,

I am grateful... but there's so much to this Dr... I need a nurse!Actually more like a dentist after eating this bbq sauce :P

Derek
03-20-2010, 08:16 AM
AHHHH, it's in red! We are being modded..

Cool, thanks Derek. Looks spicy, is it?It's a mild spice but it has that Nice whiskey BURN.....

And it lasts about 30 minutes to an hour.

Derek
03-20-2010, 08:28 AM
Can one of the mods help me out here?

Can one of you make a small batch of this and help me summit it to the recipe database under sauces?

jonboy
03-20-2010, 08:34 AM
Derek,
You could make a batch and send the moderators a small jar each.
:wink:
jon

Derek
03-20-2010, 08:38 AM
Derek,
You could make a batch and send the moderators a small jar each.
:wink:
jonGood thinking, I can do that to any of you guys too if you want to try it.

I know I'm bringing a jar of it for the Pretty good shin dig in may and Ohio!

Derek
03-20-2010, 09:22 AM
By the way brethren You guys may need to spend about $100 for this recipe if you don't have the spices & other ingredients.

smittysbar
03-20-2010, 09:57 AM
Looks good, gonna have to give it a try, thanks!

btcg
03-20-2010, 10:06 AM
It took me a year to developed this recipe from a simple one I've found on the internet!

Actually more like a dentist after eating this bbq sauce :P

Doctor or dentist... I'll tell you what, I'll settle for a shot. :wink:

icemncmth
03-20-2010, 10:12 AM
I will have to give this one a try. I love cooking different BBQ sauces.

Sooner21
03-20-2010, 10:12 AM
Are those sweet jalapeno's or sweet peppers in the plastic case?

Derek
03-20-2010, 10:20 AM
Are those sweet jalapeno's or sweet peppers in the plastic case?Sweet jalapeno's

but use normal jalapeno's this way you can have the heat and the whiskey burn!

I've only made this recipe for the fam, Because they are gringo's and can't take the heat like we can.

QuietOne
03-20-2010, 11:19 AM
1 cup of starch mixed with water?

Derek
03-20-2010, 01:51 PM
1 cup of starch mixed with water?Yes for the thinking agent.

bigabyte
03-20-2010, 02:04 PM
Actually, from what I see in the recipe, it is 1 cup of starch mixed with 5.5 cups of liquid, and that is jsut the Wet Ingredient Mixture. There are also liquids in the other mixtures too. Here is the total list of liquids I am seeing:

3 Cups Dr. Pepper
1 Cup Worcestershire Sauce
1.5 Cups Balsamic Vinegar
2 Cans of water (Tomato Paste can)
1 small bottle Jim Beam
1 can Diced Tomatoes (with juice)

I gotta admit, that does seem a tad high on the corn starch, it's hard for me to picture what this is gonna be like without trying it. I hope to try it soon and will post the results.

Derek
03-20-2010, 02:12 PM
Actually, from what I see in the recipe, it is 1 cup of starch mixed with 5.5 cups of liquid, and that is jsut the Wet Ingredient Mixture. There are also liquids in the other mixtures too. Here is the total list of liquids I am seeing:

3 Cups Dr. Pepper
1 Cup Worcestershire Sauce
1.5 Cups Balsamic Vinegar
2 Cans of water (Tomato Paste can)
1 small bottle Jim Beam
1 can Diced Tomatoes (with juice)

I gotta admit, that does seem a tad high on the corn starch, it's hard for me to picture what this is gonna be like without trying it. I hope to try it soon and will post the results.Trust me it works!

bigabyte
03-20-2010, 02:15 PM
How big is the tomato paste can, the little 6oz version? Just curious so I am using the right amount.

Derek
03-20-2010, 02:16 PM
How big is the tomato paste can, the little 6oz version? Just curious so I am using the right amount.You mean for the tomato paste sauce?

if so then yes it's the 06 oz can.

n-2-que
03-20-2010, 05:36 PM
hmm 1 tablespoon of starch usually to thicken 1 cup of liquid if i remember correctly

aquablue22
03-20-2010, 06:30 PM
1 cup of starch mixed with water?

That's a lot of farking starch, I cup of starch and enough water to liquefy?

Derek
03-20-2010, 06:32 PM
hmm 1 tablespoon of starch usually to thicken 1 cup of liquid if i remember correctly

That's a lot of farking starch, I cup of starch and enough water to liquefy?dudes, if you don't want to use the farking starch then don't use it.

Just don't complain about ok?

Derek
03-20-2010, 06:35 PM
Sorry for getting pissy guys, I was thinking out loud.

Kevin
03-20-2010, 06:46 PM

It's all cool:cool:, but that is a lot of corn starch by many traditional methods. You may teach us all a new path. Teach on my friend. Sharing is what we do here. If your method is incorrect, by other's opinions, they will share that opinion. That IS why we, as a collective, exist.

aquablue22
03-20-2010, 06:53 PM

Dude, I'm not complaining I just want to make sure we have our ducks in a row, if it takes a cup then it takes a cup, how much water to that cup of corn starch? I am going to make this and I certainty don"t want to throw 100 bucks into the crapper without asking a few questions...........We're in this togehter........Just helping each other! Thanks.........

deguerre
03-20-2010, 06:54 PM
It's all cool:cool:, but that is a lot of corn starch by many traditional methods. You may teach us all a new path. Teach on my friend. Sharing is what we do here. If your method is incorrect, by other's opinions, they will share that opinion. That IS why we, as a collective, exist.
Word.:thumb:

Derek
03-20-2010, 06:58 PM
It's all cool:cool:, but that is a lot of corn starch by many traditional methods. You may teach us all a new path. Teach on my friend. Sharing is what we do here. If your method is incorrect, by other's opinions, they will share that opinion. That IS why we, as a collective, exist.Yuppers but if you don't use it, then it's not going to get thick ( simmering only does so much to it ) And thanks Kevin.

Dude, I'm not complaining I just want to make sure we have our ducks in a row, if it takes a cup then it takes a cup, how much water to that cup of corn starch? I am going to make this and I certainty don"t want to throw 100 bucks into the crapper without asking a few questions...........We're in this together........Just helping each other! Thanks.........Cool thanks man. And all you do is fill up a messuring cup and then add a little water and then mix well ( add more water if needed )

Word.:thumb:Ok word, I choose the word "Town" as the word :P

peppasawce
03-20-2010, 07:49 PM
Derek I have this thread in my Subscribe:-D

aquablue22
03-20-2010, 08:30 PM
Yuppers but if you don't use it, then it's not going to get thick ( simmering only does so much to it ) And thanks Kevin.

Cool thanks man. And all you do is fill up a messuring cup and then add a little water and then mix well ( add more water if needed )

Ok word, I choose the word "Town" as the word :P

OK, I'm rolling with the recipe tomorrow for some spatchcock chickens I'm doing.

Thanks for all the input!!:thumb:

bigabyte
03-21-2010, 12:17 AM
I picked up the missing ingredients for this today, hope to make it tomorrow. I was figuring i would do equal parts water to the starch where it said 1 cup starch with water added. That's pretty average to see equal parts mixed together.

Derek
03-21-2010, 07:50 AM
Derek I have this thread in my Subscribe:-DVery cool, I think I have one of your threads subcribed too man.

OK, I'm rolling with the recipe tomorrow for some spatchcock chickens I'm doing.

Thanks for all the input!!:thumb:

I picked up the missing ingredients for this today, hope to make it tomorrow. I was figuring i would do equal parts water to the starch where it said 1 cup starch with water added. That's pretty average to see equal parts mixed together.And post some pron pictures please?

bigabyte
03-23-2010, 03:47 PM
I am making this sauce today, and as promised here are the pics so far...

I started with the dry ingredients...
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc150/bigabyte/Sauces/BBQ_Sauces/Dereks_Dr_Pepper_Sauce/DryIngredients.jpg

And then mixed that in with the Sauce made form the Tomato Paste and Water...
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc150/bigabyte/Sauces/BBQ_Sauces/Dereks_Dr_Pepper_Sauce/PlusWetIngredients.jpg

And then I added in the Pepper Pot stuff...
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc150/bigabyte/Sauces/BBQ_Sauces/Dereks_Dr_Pepper_Sauce/PepperPot.jpg

You may have noticed by now the ceramic pot that this stuff is in is from my Crock Pot. I will be simmering this outside in my crockpot so I can work today instead of babysitting it, and most importantly because my wife is so allergic to many varieties of peppers, especially the kind found in this recipe. So outside in the crock pot I brought it to a simmer and let it simmer for 45 minutes. It is now cooling and this is what it looks like...
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc150/bigabyte/Sauces/BBQ_Sauces/Dereks_Dr_Pepper_Sauce/FirstSimmer.jpg

I will post more pics as I get updates. I tasted the mix so far and it is pretty tasty already with a spicy kick. I'm excited to try the finished product.:cool:

Derek
03-23-2010, 03:51 PM
I am making this sauce today, and as promised here are the pics so far...

I started with the dry ingredients...
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc150/bigabyte/Sauces/BBQ_Sauces/Dereks_Dr_Pepper_Sauce/DryIngredients.jpg

And then mixed that in with the Sauce made form the Tomato Paste and Water...
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc150/bigabyte/Sauces/BBQ_Sauces/Dereks_Dr_Pepper_Sauce/PlusWetIngredients.jpg

And then I added in the Pepper Pot stuff...
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc150/bigabyte/Sauces/BBQ_Sauces/Dereks_Dr_Pepper_Sauce/PepperPot.jpg

You may have noticed by now the ceramic pot that this stuff is in is from my Crock Pot. I will be simmering this outside in my crockpot so I can work today instead of babysitting it, and most importantly because my wife is so allergic to many varieties of peppers, especially the kind found in this recipe. So outside in the crock pot I brought it to a simmer and let it simmer for 45 minutes. It is now cooling and this is what it looks like...
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc150/bigabyte/Sauces/BBQ_Sauces/Dereks_Dr_Pepper_Sauce/FirstSimmer.jpg

I will post more pics as I get updates. I tasted the mix so far and it is pretty tasty already with a spicy kick. I'm excited to try the finished product.:cool:It looks like mine and yes you will have the spicy kick if done right!

Props!!!

bigabyte
03-23-2010, 03:59 PM
I should mention that because I was unable to find yellow and red jalapeno's, I used 2 green jalapeno's, and one large poblano pepper. This was to keep the heat from getting too crazy because the green jalapeno's I have are pretty blazin' hot. Other than that, everything else is as the recipe shows.

Derek
03-23-2010, 04:02 PM
I should mention that because I was unable to find yellow and red jalapeno's, I used 2 green jalapeno's, and one large poblano pepper. This was to keep the heat from getting too crazy because the green jalapeno's I have are pretty blazin' hot. Other than that, everything else is as the recipe shows.Hey no problem, I found the colored jalapino's at an Authentic Mexican store!

Did you have a problem finding the dried chiptoly pepper?

aquablue22
03-23-2010, 04:14 PM
I made this sauce on Sunday, my wife was out of town with the camera, so no pictures. It is really good, the only thing different I did was to buzz the pepper mixture with my stick blender after the 45 minute cool down to make it a really smooth sauce, something I really like. I found everything I needed at Publix, including the same pepper pack you had Derek. This stuff is really good, nice bite and really good on the spatchcock chicken I smoked in cherry wood! Thanks for the recipe....

bigabyte
03-23-2010, 04:44 PM
I have no problem finding most peppers around here I have a bag of Chipotle peppers so that was not an issue. However, the only jalapeno's available were green, so I had to improvise. normally I can dig and find some red ones at least, but not on this particular trip.

I added the remaining wet ingredients after the cool down and I also hit it with my stick blender. The corn starch gives it quite a sheen, you can see the reflection of me taking the pic, along with the kitchen window, siding, and soffit on the house.
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc150/bigabyte/Sauces/BBQ_Sauces/Dereks_Dr_Pepper_Sauce/Blended.jpg

It's all set to simmer and thicken now until it's ready. Depending on the texture, I may run it through my BlendTec afterwards. My stick blender didn't quite get it as smooth as I would have hoped, at least from eyeballing it anyway.

Derek
03-23-2010, 04:47 PM
I have no problem finding most peppers around here I have a bag of Chipotle peppers so that was not an issue. However, the only jalapeno's available were green, so I had to improvise. normally I can dig and find some red ones at least, but not on this particular trip.

I added the remaining wet ingredients after the cool down and I also hit it with my stick blender. The corn starch gives it quite a sheen, you can see the reflection of me taking the pic, along with the kitchen window, siding, and soffit on the house.
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc150/bigabyte/Sauces/BBQ_Sauces/Dereks_Dr_Pepper_Sauce/Blended.jpg

It's all set to simmer and thicken now until it's ready. Depending on the texture, I may run it through my BlendTec afterwards. My stick blender didn't quite get it as smooth as I would have hoped, at least from eyeballing it anyway.Very cool Chris, So hae you tried the end result yet?

bigabyte
03-23-2010, 04:57 PM
Nope, it's on the long simmer now and I did not taste it after blending the final stuff together with the stick blender. I'll let you know what I think when it's ready though.

Derek
03-23-2010, 05:13 PM
Very cool you will like/love it a lot and your taste buds will be ruined for other bbq sauces.

Told you the starch had a big part in it.

Derek
03-23-2010, 07:36 PM
Chris How much longer do you have on the simmering?

bigabyte
03-23-2010, 08:05 PM
I have been tasting it now that it is thickening up pretty good, and I give it two thumbs up!:thumb::thumb:

I need to say however, keep in mind this is a SALT-FREE sauce. This makes it quite different from other BBQ Sauces, much in the way a salt-free rub tastes quite different than one with salt. Seeing as how Derek's intent was to make a sauces with no salt, then this is in my opinion a success. I have not had many (if any) salt free BBQ sauces before however to compare it against however.

Now, because it is salt-free, it is hard to judge on the balance of the 5 tastes, because there is no salty to interact the other flavors. Also, since there is no salt, the flavor is more muted than it would be with salt, but this stuff has a lot of concentrated flavor in there from the ingredients, it is not watered down at all.

It is a thick dark sauce that is Sweet and Spicy for sure, with some Bitter notes coming from the liberal use of peppers. Personally, I think it could use a bit more Sour flavor, but that is just my personal preference (I like vinegar flavor to make it's presence known in my sauces) and there are many popular brands of thick BBQ sauce that do not have a distinct vinegary or sour taste to them.

That leaves only Salty and Umami totally out of the taste department in this sauce. Based on the sodium restrictions this is probably unavoidable. It's a good sauce though (I did say that, right?) but be prepared for this lack of salty/umami flavor.

About the heat level, I am a bit of a chile head, and this has some noticeable warmth. I do not find it uncomfortable, just rather warm. I think the average person would find it rather hot, so if you do not like it spicy, make alternate arrangements on the peppers.

I took some of it into a bowl and experimented with adding some salt, rubs, etc, to get the other flavors I mentioned were lacking. I was honestly happiest with the result of adding apple cider vinegar, my own rub, and some dulse flakes in there, which contains flavors I mentioned were missing, and the rest simply pairs up with flavors already in the sauce for the most part. I have no measurements to share, I was just sprinkling and tasting until it was right.

I am letting the sauce thicken up even more, so i have not taken any finished pictures yet. I wanted to share my thoughts on the taste though.:cool:

bigabyte
03-23-2010, 08:08 PM
I have some left over fatties in the fridge...think I'll pour some over some slices...

Derek
03-23-2010, 08:10 PM
I have been tasting it now that it is thickening up pretty good, and I give it two thumbs up!:thumb::thumb:

I need to say however, keep in mind this is a SALT-FREE sauce. This makes it quite different from other BBQ Sauces, much in the way a salt-free rub tastes quite different than one with salt. Seeing as how Derek's intent was to make a sauces with no salt, then this is in my opinion a success. I have not had many (if any) salt free BBQ sauces before however to compare it against however.

Now, because it is salt-free, it is hard to judge on the balance of the 5 tastes, because there is no salty to interact the other flavors. Also, since there is no salt, the flavor is more muted than it would be with salt, but this stuff has a lot of concentrated flavor in there from the ingredients, it is not watered down at all.

It is a thick dark sauce that is Sweet and Spicy for sure, with some Bitter notes coming from the liberal use of peppers. Personally, I think it could use a bit more Sour flavor, but that is just my personal preference (I like vinegar flavor to make it's presence known in my sauces) and there are many popular brands of thick BBQ sauce that do not have a distinct vinegary or sour taste to them.

That leaves only Salty and Umami totally out of the taste department in this sauce. Based on the sodium restrictions this is probably unavoidable. It's a good sauce though (I did say that, right?) but be prepared for this lack of salty/umami flavor.

About the heat level, I am a bit of a chile head, and this has some noticeable warmth. I do not find it uncomfortable, just rather warm. I think the average person would find it rather hot, so if you do not like it spicy, make alternate arrangements on the peppers.

I took some of it into a bowl and experimented with adding some salt, rubs, etc, to get the other flavors I mentioned were lacking. I was honestly happiest with the result of adding apple cider vinegar, my own rub, and some dulse flakes in there, which contains flavors I mentioned were missing, and the rest simply pairs up with flavors already in the sauce for the most part. I have no measurements to share, I was just sprinkling and tasting until it was right.

I am letting the sauce thicken up even more, so i have not taken any finished pictures yet. I wanted to share my thoughts on the taste though.:cool:A long read but it was a very nice review.

Try smoking it some and the umami flavor may rear its head a bit.....

Boshizzle
03-23-2010, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the recipe!

bigabyte
03-23-2010, 08:16 PM
Tasty! Definitely good on the fatties!:thumb: Good stuff Derek, thanks for sharing.:cool:

Crap! I should have taken pictures!:doh:

bigabyte
03-23-2010, 08:19 PM
Try smoking it some and the umami flavor may rear its head a bit.....
I think you're right about that. On those fatties the flavor was very robust. The sausage had salt of course, and had been smoked. It was quite good.:clap2:

Derek
03-23-2010, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the recipe!No problem man, Its the least I can do for the good amount of advice I got.

Tasty! Definitely good on the fatties!:thumb: Good stuff Derek, thanks for sharing.:cool:

Crap! I should have taken pictures!:doh:Well there is always next time and your quite welcome.

I think you're right about that. On those fatties the flavor was very robust. The sausage had salt of course, and had been smoked. It was quite good.:clap2:Actually I've designed that recipe that way, So what ever the food it goes the umami comes out.

( it took me a year to develop from a very simple mustard base docter pepper recipe I found on the net long time ago )

Derek
03-24-2010, 11:33 AM
Hey Chris, Dilute some of the BBQ sauce in some kind of little bowl or a ramicon and inject it into a hot dog.

Trust me you will love them that way with the sauce in!
http://drp-photography.smugmug.com/Food/BBQ-sauce-Style-Dogs/MG3940/527806248_yZnaX-L-2.jpg

http://drp-photography.smugmug.com/Food/BBQ-sauce-Style-Dogs/MG3939/527806194_RPRr7-L.jpg

http://drp-photography.smugmug.com/Food/BBQ-sauce-Style-Dogs/MG3935/527806123_BcQ5X-L.jpg

""This was before the Salt restriction got placed""

Old Smoke
03-31-2010, 02:55 PM
I used the search button to find this thread. I have enjoyed the taste of Dr. Pepper for years. It sounds really tatsty. Thanks for sharing your secret "stuff" I have subscribed to this thread, and I will try this sauce soon, I have to gather some ingredients.

Derek
03-31-2010, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the recipe!

Crap! I should have taken pictures!:doh:

I used the search button to find this thread. I have enjoyed the taste of Dr. Pepper for years. It sounds really tatsty. Thanks for sharing your secret "stuff" I have subscribed to this thread, and I will try this sauce soon, I have to gather some ingredients.Your welcome guys, Wow I totaly forgot about this thread!

Update March 31, 5:00pm ( added new different but same ingredient )
By the way every the sauce is updated yet again ( Now I use 100 to 400 year old Balsamic vinegar in my recipe )

MilitantSquatter
03-31-2010, 06:29 PM
Your welcome guys, Wow I totaly forgot about this thread!

Update March 31, 5:00pm ( added new different but same ingredient )
By the way every the sauce is updated yet again ( Now I use 100 to 400 year old Balsamic vinegar in my recipe )

100-400 yr old Balsamic vinegar ??? :confused:

I have no idea .... I'm not doubting you can get 100 yr old vinegar, but my guess is that it would be extremely expensive (likely hundreds if not thousands of $)...well beyond a homemade BBQ sauce budget....

4000 yrs old ?? doubt it...

Derek
03-31-2010, 06:43 PM
100-400 yr old Balsamic vinegar ??? :confused:

I have no idea .... I'm not doubting you can get 100 yr old vinegar, but my guess is that it would be extremely expensive (likely hundreds if not thousands of $)...well beyond a homemade BBQ sauce budget....

4000 yrs old ?? doubt it...I don't know about the 4000 year old stuff but the 100 - 400 year old stuff is $50 - $79 for 8oz bottle ( via google )

GldnKniteofBBQ
03-31-2010, 06:51 PM
As great as this sauce sounds....im not sure i would use the expensive stuff for it. The cost/benefit cant possibly outdo a standard balsamic glaze. Save that awesome aged stuff for a nice drizzle over tomato, mozzarella, and fresh basil.

Big props though Derek on the sauce, i personally love to create bbq sauce out of soda and Dr Pepper tends to be one of my favorites. Now you just need to make Mt Dew Chicken :)

Derek
03-31-2010, 06:55 PM
As great as this sauce sounds....im not sure i would use the expensive stuff for it. The cost/benefit cant possibly outdo a standard balsamic glaze. Save that awesome aged stuff for a nice drizzle over tomato, mozzarella, and fresh basil.

Big props though Derek on the sauce, i personally love to create bbq sauce out of soda and Dr Pepper tends to be one of my favorites. Now you just need to make Mt Dew Chicken :)Sounds good GLD, I may end up doing a mol-a sauce with mt dew! Or a Orange sauce with Mt Dew ( orange )

GldnKniteofBBQ
03-31-2010, 07:03 PM
Actually that was a throwback to an old mess around recipe from my college days... chicken breasts, sweet/sour drink mixer, and a case of mt dew and alas a marinade was born.....It imparted a nice subtle citrus flavor to a basic grilled chicken sandwich.

Although bringing this up has sparked myy imagination for re-inventing and refining an actual recipe for the Mt Dew Chicken.... imparting some orange sauce flavor profiles is a good place to go.

Mole sounds interesting, but its so deep and complex i wonder if the Dew would get overwhelmed?

Derek
03-31-2010, 07:05 PM
GLD, Not if you do it right and practice until it's perfect!

That's what I had to do with this recipe and it took a year to refine!

GusRobin
04-04-2010, 08:27 AM
As soon as it's done thickening to your liking , turn the stove off and get your mesosphere out and amosafy it to your liking.

Thanks for the recipe, but I am not sure what is a mesosphere and what is amosafy?

Derek
04-04-2010, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the recipe, but I am not sure what is a mesosphere and what is amosafy?It's one of those stir sticks with the blade on 1 end.

Or you can use a food processor.

MilitantSquatter
04-04-2010, 08:55 AM
As soon as it's done thickening to your liking , turn the stove off and get your mesosphere out and amosafy it to your liking

Derek - I've never heard of a mesoshpere being used as a term for a cooking utensil... A mesosphere is one of the layers above the earth.

Are you referring to an immersion blender (stick blender) which will emulsify a sauce ?

Derek
04-04-2010, 09:13 AM
Derek - I've never heard of a mesoshpere being used as a term for a cooking utensil... A mesosphere is one of the layers above the earth.

Are you referring to an immersion blender (stick blender) which will emulsify a sauce ?Exactly, one of those, I'm really bad speller - grammar person!

GusRobin
04-04-2010, 10:15 AM
Derek, had another question. Is that a full bulb of garlic or a clove from a bulb?

Derek
04-04-2010, 10:16 AM
Derek, had another question. Is that a full bulb of garlic or a clove from a bulb?That's the full bulb of garlic NOT a clove bro

Jay Bird
04-04-2010, 04:20 PM
Derek.......Many thanks for your recipe. Have never made my own sauce. This looks like a winner & will have to give it a go.

Phesant
04-04-2010, 04:35 PM
Thanx I'm going to try this....

GusRobin
04-04-2010, 04:46 PM
thanks Derek - got a pot simmering as I write this. One other question. The rest of the family doesn't like things as hot as I do. If this turns out to be more spicier than they like any suggestions (aside from getting a new family) as to what I can add to make it less spicier

Derek
04-04-2010, 05:18 PM
thanks Derek - got a pot simmering as I write this. One other question. The rest of the family doesn't like things as hot as I do. If this turns out to be more spicier than they like any suggestions (aside from getting a new family) as to what I can add to make it less spicierNo problem man, And to answer your question "leave out the hot peppers only" And still add the dried chipolty pepper though.

Also can add a little more peperrika.

GusRobin
04-04-2010, 05:36 PM
No problem man, And to answer your question "leave out the hot peppers only" And still add the dried chipolty pepper though.

Also can add a little more peperrika.

I already made it per the directions, what I meant with my question was if after it is done and it is a bit too spicey, is there anything I can add that would "lower the heat"

Derek
04-04-2010, 05:38 PM
I already made it per the directions, what I meant with my question was if after it is done and it is a bit too spicey, is there anything I can add that would "lower the heat"OH, yes there is a few things you can do.

1.Have lot's of milk on hand.
2.Celery plater on hand.
3.Add honey to the bbq sauce.
4.Add sugar to the sauce

Just remember this cooking tip ( You can always add to but never take away! )

But if you done it right, It should be a whiskey BURN that will last for an half hour to an hour!

jason
04-09-2010, 12:39 PM
Well I just found the new Dr. Pepper BBQ sauce thread. I posted in the old thread about what I did this week. I'll repost it here. Mine was inspired by your original post and I really loved your pepper pot.

Dr. Pepper BBQ Sauce

1 Cups Dr. Pepper
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 diced onions - (Used 1/2 red onion & 1/2 white onion)
2 carrots
1 red bell pepper
1 anaheim pepper
1 jalapeño pepper
1 cayenne pepper
2 cloves minced garlic
1 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 cup of honey
2 tsp salt
2 tbs canola oil
2 tbs of bbq rub
2 tbs of oregano
1 can of fire roasted tomatoes w/ liquid

In pot reduce Dr. Pepper & Worcestershire to about 1/2 consistency.

In another sauce pot heat oil and add onions and salt. Let them cook down then add garlic.

Let it cook for about 5 minutes. Mince the pepper and carrots in a food processor. Add to onions.

Add vinegar, sugar, spices and fire roasted tomatoes w/ liquid. Let this simmer for 1 hour.

Blend the vegetable mixture with the dr. pepper mixture and put back in sauce pan. Add honey and let simmer for 2-3 hours.

Makes 2 mason jars of sauce (about 4 cups).

My consistency wasn't great because I didn't do the tomato sauce. Last night I took a jar of my sauce and added it to 2 cans of tomato sauce and let it simmer and reduce down again. It's okay and maybe a little too ketchupy but it's got better consistency now. I'll be using this on Ribs tomorrow. :)

Next time, I'm going to try making my own tomato sauce from the tomato paste like you are doing. I think I'm also going to try roasting the peppers and removing the skin.

Derek
04-09-2010, 07:59 PM
Well I just found the new Dr. Pepper BBQ sauce thread. I posted in the old thread about what I did this week. I'll repost it here. Mine was inspired by your original post and I really loved your pepper pot.

Dr. Pepper BBQ Sauce

1 Cups Dr. Pepper
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 diced onions - (Used 1/2 red onion & 1/2 white onion)
2 carrots
1 red bell pepper
1 anaheim pepper
1 jalapeño pepper
1 cayenne pepper
2 cloves minced garlic
1 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 cup of honey
2 tsp salt
2 tbs canola oil
2 tbs of bbq rub
2 tbs of oregano
1 can of fire roasted tomatoes w/ liquid

In pot reduce Dr. Pepper & Worcestershire to about 1/2 consistency.

In another sauce pot heat oil and add onions and salt. Let them cook down then add garlic.

Let it cook for about 5 minutes. Mince the pepper and carrots in a food processor. Add to onions.

Add vinegar, sugar, spices and fire roasted tomatoes w/ liquid. Let this simmer for 1 hour.

Blend the vegetable mixture with the dr. pepper mixture and put back in sauce pan. Add honey and let simmer for 2-3 hours.

Makes 2 mason jars of sauce (about 4 cups).

My consistency wasn't great because I didn't do the tomato sauce. Last night I took a jar of my sauce and added it to 2 cans of tomato sauce and let it simmer and reduce down again. It's okay and maybe a little too ketchupy but it's got better consistency now. I'll be using this on Ribs tomorrow. :)

Next time, I'm going to try making my own tomato sauce from the tomato paste like you are doing. I think I'm also going to try roasting the peppers and removing the skin.Let me know how it goes Jason!

jason
04-12-2010, 09:41 AM
I love this sauce. Thanks again, Derek. I put it on ribs and it was awesome. I have 1 more jar to use but I can't wait to make more.

Derek
04-21-2010, 09:10 PM
Updated, I've opened a sealed jar of my Sauce for the chicken thighs this last weekend as a practice test & I've found out after 2 months of againg, The flavors intensify x10 times and it gets HOTTER, but more of a wiskey burn then anything though.

bobaftt
04-23-2010, 01:41 PM
I hope there is some to try when I get to the pretty good bbq.

Stoke&Smoke
04-23-2010, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the recipe, but I am not sure what is a mesosphere and what is amosafy?

Not sure what a mesosphere is either, but I think he meant emulsify?

Anyway, it looks interesting enough to give a try! For those who asked about reducing heat, I would just start with no peppers and add a little at a time until it suits your taste.

I might just hae to whip up a batch this weekend!

Derek,
When you say "makes six jars", what size jar are you talking about???

Derek
04-24-2010, 07:31 PM
Not sure what a mesosphere is either, but I think he meant emulsify?

Anyway, it looks interesting enough to give a try! For those who asked about reducing heat, I would just start with no peppers and add a little at a time until it suits your taste.

I might just hae to whip up a batch this weekend!

Derek,
When you say "makes six jars", what size jar are you talking about???The 13 oz Jars, Let me post a picture of it tomorrow with a ruler ok?

Derek
04-27-2010, 07:49 AM
Updated Tuesday April 27Th

Next batch will have Makers Mark single bottle whiskey in it, unless I can find that EAGLE stuff that I had at eagle!

peppasawce
04-27-2010, 09:53 AM
I have subscribed to this thread Derek

Derek
05-08-2010, 10:08 AM
A little update 10:53 am, May 8th.

Here's the progress of my sauce for the judges Batch.

( a lot more salt has been added about a tablespoon full of it for the whole batch. )

The new judges batch ( more flavor more salt added )
http://drp-photography.smugmug.com/Food/Sauces/Dr-Pepper-BBQ-SAUCEW-NEW/IMG0442/860526920_7vPmw-L.jpg

&

http://drp-photography.smugmug.com/Food/Sauces/Dr-Pepper-BBQ-SAUCEW-NEW/IMG0439/860526813_24STm-L.jpg

&

http://drp-photography.smugmug.com/Food/Sauces/Dr-Pepper-BBQ-SAUCEW-NEW/IMG0440/860526832_yS4eM-L.jpg

The tomatoe sauce
http://drp-photography.smugmug.com/Food/Sauces/Dr-Pepper-BBQ-SAUCEW-NEW/IMG0444/860526946_nZa6g-L.jpg

The pepper pot cooking.
http://drp-photography.smugmug.com/Food/Sauces/Dr-Pepper-BBQ-SAUCEW-NEW/IMG0446/860527036_qdzCW-L.jpg

Derek
05-08-2010, 09:55 PM
Update, May 8th 1051pm...

I've found 20 year old balsamic vinegar.. and I had to buy another thick Worcestershire sauce.

http://drp-photography.smugmug.com/Food/Sauces/Dr-Pepper-BBQ-SAUCEW-NEW/IMG0447/861098781_JNNX9-L.jpg

Derek
05-09-2010, 08:31 AM
The new batch of stuff.
http://drp-photography.smugmug.com/Food/Sauces/Dr-Pepper-BBQ-SAUCEW-NEW/IMG6154/861332590_ZJuow-L.jpg

&

http://drp-photography.smugmug.com/Food/Sauces/Dr-Pepper-BBQ-SAUCEW-NEW/IMG6155/861332600_ATnVc-L.jpg

Derek
05-09-2010, 10:13 AM
With the aged stuffed in there including Knob's creek whiskey, I have a MUCH bolder flavor in the sauce now.

Also I have more of a bite, but it goes away in an instant each time. The batch didn't get any salt. But yet it's still more tasty then my last batch...

Willie's BBQ
05-21-2010, 07:26 PM
was thinking about trying this this weekend, just lookin for a response from those who have tried it ,is it worth making???

Derek
05-21-2010, 07:55 PM
was thinking about trying this this weekend, just lookin for a response from those who have tried it ,is it worth making???Start reading at page 1, Bro,

See if you like it. and if you do make some up, let me know how you like it.

Sillius Sodus
05-21-2010, 09:11 PM
This looks great Derek...:thumb:

Two quick questions:

1. Do the addition of more bourbon do anything to the taste (you know, using more than one "airplane" bottle)?

2. As my wife has to eat gluten-free, would corn starch be ok for this receipe? What type of starch do you actually use?

Thanks.

Derek
05-21-2010, 10:45 PM
This looks great Derek...:thumb:

Two quick questions:

1. Do the addition of more bourbon do anything to the taste (you know, using more than one "airplane" bottle)?

2. As my wife has to eat gluten-free, would corn starch be ok for this receipe? What type of starch do you actually use?

Thanks.1. Tt's a half of a cup of your fav Bourbon!

2.Check out Cream of Tar - Tar and or Arrow root, They both do the same as Corn starch. ( Might want to check amazon.com for gluten free starch )

Or don't put any in, It's only a thickening agent.

Let me know if you have any more questions ok?

deez butts
05-21-2010, 11:34 PM
1. Tt's a half of a cup of your fav Bourbon!

2.Check out Cream of Tar - Tar and or Arrow root, They both do the same as Corn starch. ( Might want to check amazon.com for gluten free starch )

Or don't put any in, It's only a thickening agent.

Let me know if you have any more questions ok?

Dude...cream of tartar is not a starch or a thickening agent. Cream of tartar is an acid and you would use it to fluff up a meringue since egg whites are a base and you would use it in a number of other applications like this. One other thing I do with it is mix it with baking soda in a glass of water for an upset stomach…makes it all bubbly kinda like a poor man’s alka-seltzer .

Derek
05-22-2010, 08:06 AM
Dude...cream of tartar is not a starch or a thickening agent. Cream of tartar is an acid and you would use it to fluff up a meringue since egg whites are a base and you would use it in a number of other applications like this. One other thing I do with it is mix it with baking soda in a glass of water for an upset stomach…makes it all bubbly kinda like a poor man’s alka-seltzer . Thanks for the Reminder.

By the way Arrow root is a derivative from grapes, I read that on the back of the package, So the gentleman could use that as a thickener for his wife.

but I would feel better if he researched it online, Also "www.saltwatchers.com" has gluten free starch...

BruceB
05-22-2010, 08:51 AM
When my wife needs thickening...arrowroot is the first thing I think of.:)

Chef Jim
05-22-2010, 09:27 AM
I like Arrowroot, but the wife doesn't. go figure?

deez butts
05-22-2010, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the Reminder.

By the way Arrow root is a derivative from grapes, I read that on the back of the package, So the gentleman could use that as a thickener for his wife.

but I would feel better if he researched it online, Also "www.saltwatchers.com" has gluten free starch...

Cream of tartar is a byproduct when making wine. Arrowroot is the starch obtained from the arrowroot plant’s tubers.

deez butts
05-22-2010, 10:15 AM
Sillius Sodus,

Check out the first 50 or so pages of "The Allergy Self-Help Cookbook."
Will give you a run down of different things you can replace flours that contain gluten with and their properties.

These are the flowers that contain gluten:

Spelt
Wheat
Kamut brand
Rye
Oat
Barley

Flours that do not contain gluten:
Amaranth
Arrowroot
Brown Rice
Buckwheat