PDA

View Full Version : Halved brisket.

Mo-Dave
03-19-2010, 07:55 PM
Anyone ever cut a brisket length wise down the middle to test a couple different rubs and such or just to save cooking time?

I have a 16lb packer that I want to test some things out on and of course time is also a factor. I don't care if it is uniform but will try to even it out to about 6or 7lbs after trimming. Taste and tenderness are my only goals here.

Also cooking a pork butt about the same size so that should work out about right. Anyone foresee any problems cooking it this way?
Dave

Cliff H.
03-19-2010, 08:02 PM
I asked the same question once. It makes sense to me but I was rebuked.

I still have not tried it. HA!

Mo-Dave
03-19-2010, 08:04 PM
I asked the same question once. It makes sense to me but I was rebuked.

I still have not tried it. HA!

What were the reasons for not doing it that way?
Dave

Cliff H.
03-19-2010, 08:22 PM
Had something to do with changing the cook time and moisture retention.

Mo-Dave
03-19-2010, 08:41 PM
Had something to do with changing the cook time and moisture retention.

Hummmm, well yes one of my goals is reducing the cook time but what would be the difference in cooking 6 or 7lbs this way as opposed to a 6 or 7lb whole one. I guess that is what I am asking.
Dave

jasonalan724
03-19-2010, 08:58 PM
I dont see a problen with that at all... i have cut flats to fit extra meat in my UDS and they come out fine, just quicker.

bigabyte
03-19-2010, 10:24 PM
I would cut it down the middle lengthwise from the nose, that way it is as even as possible in distribution of flat, point and fat. I've never tried it though.

Mo-Dave
03-19-2010, 10:44 PM
I would cut it down the middle lengthwise from the nose, that way it is as even as possible in distribution of flat, point and fat. I've never tried it though.

Thought I would trim it first that way I should be able to dived it more equal.
Dave

btcg
03-19-2010, 10:47 PM
Anyone ever cut a brisket length wise down the middle to test a couple different rubs and such or just to save cooking time?

I have a 16lb packer that I want to test some things out on and of course time is also a factor. I don't care if it is uniform but will try to even it out to about 6or 7lbs after trimming. Taste and tenderness are my only goals here.

Also cooking a pork butt about the same size so that should work out about right. Anyone foresee any problems cooking it this way?
Dave

I bought a large flat brisket today, and had them cut it in half: half for corned beef... half for pastromi. Gotta get in the kitchen & start prep between the 2nd & 3rd period of the Red Wings game. Maybe sooner, they're playing like chit.

Mo-Dave
03-19-2010, 10:52 PM
I bought a large flat brisket today, and had them cut it in half: half for corned beef... half for pastromi. Gotta get in the kitchen & start prep between the 2nd & 3rd period of the Red Wings game. Maybe sooner, they're playing like chit.

Good luck with that. Sounds good. Did you go length wise of in half?
Dave

btcg
03-19-2010, 10:53 PM
Good luck with that. Sounds good. Did you go length wise of in half?
Dave

Had the butcher do it, so it would slice properly.