PDA

View Full Version : Ordering Wagyu from SRF - couple of questions

Burk504
03-19-2010, 09:05 AM
I am going to use a Wagyu Brisket from Snake River Farms in an upcoming comp and would like to wet age it a bit, but am a little nervous to do it without some help from you guys.

-does SRF list the packing date for the brisket? If not, are there any other sources that do?
-do they freeze them right after processing or do they age a bit before hand? I guess if they froze it right away, I could consider the start of the 'thaw' as the first day of the aging process?

I would love it if any of you could share some advice around this line of thinking.

Thanks,

mav
03-19-2010, 09:08 AM
sorry I can't help, but in curious about this too.

cmcadams
03-19-2010, 10:39 AM
I would question whether you need to wet age a Wagyu brisket at all. It's already more tender than you're typical feedlot Angus brisket, with more intramuscular fat.

rabeb25
03-19-2010, 10:43 AM
Why don't you call the source and ask?...

pahutchens
03-19-2010, 11:55 AM
I may be daft (not knowing terms etc) But wouldn't wet aging risk a DQ?

KC_Bobby
03-19-2010, 12:38 PM
Wet aging simply means aging the meat in the cryo packaging.

vr6Cop
03-19-2010, 12:40 PM
I may be daft (not knowing terms etc) But wouldn't wet aging risk a GC?

Fixed it for ya. :thumb:

landarc
03-19-2010, 02:17 PM
I can't see a reason to wet-age a SRF Wagyu brisket. I can't see what you would gain, but, I would imagine they would be willing to talk with you about it.

Burk504
03-22-2010, 04:03 PM
Why don't you call the source and ask?...

I took your advice and submitted a question through their website. Here is the response:

"There is not a production date on the internet products. All of the beef items are aged 28days and then blast frozen."

From what I understand, a Brisket can be wet aged for up to 45 days or so. (I heard this from Fast Eddie on the BBQ Central Podcast a while back). If this is true, I could thaw it out and it would still be good for another 2 weeks, right? I'm a little nervous doing that....does anyone have any experience in this area?

Fast Eddie's 45 day count did not include any time in a frozen state, so I wonder how that would impact the whole process?