PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum Bag help

DanPop
03-18-2010, 08:40 AM
I started researching vacuum bag machines and, as with most reviews of products, I'm mostly finding only negative reviews. What kind do you use and are happy with??? Thanks.

1FUNVET
03-18-2010, 08:47 AM
I have had a Foodsaver model V3440 for about a year now and really like it. Has worked fine w/o any problems. I buy the rolls instead of the precut bags cause not everything i seal is of a uniform size. :thumb:

Saiko
03-18-2010, 09:03 AM
I have the Foodsaver V3460 and it's been a workhorse, don't know what I'd do without it. The bags can get expensive, so like 1FUNVET I buy the rolls. Occasionally Costo will have coupons for the rolls, in that case stock up like crazy. If I remember, a box of rolls costs about 30 bucks at Costco.

Chef Jim
03-18-2010, 09:07 AM
I've had a Foodsaver Mini Plus for years, Love It :clap2: Wish I had the bigger one. Like the others, I use rolls.

btcg
03-18-2010, 09:10 AM
I've had a Foodsaver Mini Plus for years, Love It :clap2: Wish I had the bigger one. Like the others, I use rolls.

I have one of those: brand new, and unused on my pantry shelf, a gift from a friend. It's sat there for a few years now. I've got to pull it down and start using it.

1FUNVET
03-18-2010, 09:27 AM
I have one of those: brand new, and unused on my pantry shelf, a gift from a friend. It's sat there for a few years now. I've got to pull it down and start using it.

Once you start using it, you will wonder why you never used it before. :thumb:

btcg
03-18-2010, 09:36 AM
Once you start using it, you will wonder why you never used it before. :thumb:

I trust you guys completely, and believe me, I'm already wondering what took me so long.

Thanks!

Northwoods Smoke
03-18-2010, 09:48 AM
Stick with a Foodsaver machine and Foodsaver brand bags. I bought my machine several years ago at Sam's for $120 and it still works like a champ. The Foodsaver bags are expensive but worth it. Walmart was producing generic bags and I gave them a try once and regretted it. Get a good quality Foodsaver and you are in good shape!

DanPop
03-18-2010, 09:51 AM
It seemed to me like foodsaver was the brand of choice, just seems like there are various models to choose from. I would guess I'd be a light user of the thing so I didn't want to spend $200 plus

btcg
03-18-2010, 09:56 AM
Stick with a Foodsaver machine and Foodsaver brand bags. I bought my machine several years ago at Sam's for $120 and it still works like a champ. The Foodsaver bags are expensive but worth it. Walmart was producing generic bags and I gave them a try once and regretted it. Get a good quality Foodsaver and you are in good shape!

The person who gave us ours said the same thing.

By the way, once dated a Wisconsin girl, and she introduced me to "Leinies". The honey wheat rocks!

DanPop
03-18-2010, 09:59 AM
The person who gave us ours said the same thing.

By the way, once dated a Wisconsin girl, and she introduced me to "Leinies". The honey wheat rocks!

There's much better local brands. Personally, hate the honey wheat. Any brand, keep the honey away from the beer!

btcg
03-18-2010, 10:01 AM
There's much better local brands. Personally, hate the honey wheat. Any brand, keep the honey away from the beer!

You're in an area where there are a lot of great brewers. You're lucky.

Rylos1
03-18-2010, 10:47 AM
I have the Foodsaver V3840 and love it. By the way the foodsaver site is having a 2 day 30% off at checkout sale starting today.

aquablue22
03-18-2010, 11:00 AM
I have a food saver V3840 and use it all the time, anything going in the freezer get sucked. Great products!

Thanks for the heads up on Food saver sale, I need to order some.

augie
03-18-2010, 11:04 AM
I bought replacement bags (rolls) for my Foodsaver from a guy on Ebay that guaranteed that they would work just as good, if not better, then the name brand ones.

I've since bought from him a couple more times, each time buying a bigger quantity.

Saved a bunch and never had a problem with the bags.

imfree2q
03-18-2010, 11:24 AM
I bought replacement bags (rolls) for my Foodsaver from a guy on Ebay that guaranteed that they would work just as good, if not better, then the name brand ones.

I've since bought from him a couple more times, each time buying a bigger quantity.

Saved a bunch and never had a problem with the bags.

I have a food saver as well.. I buy my bags on ebay as well, lots cheaper and work great, been using them for years now with no problems.. Saves lots of cash.. Go to ebay and get your bags, you wont go wrong!

bobaftt
03-18-2010, 11:52 AM
guys get on tilia.com and sign up to get their newsletter. They put the bags on sale from time to time really good. I used to sell scratch and dent foodsavers at the flea market and I would buy the rolls a few hundred at a time when they were on sale.

hcj3rd
03-18-2010, 12:48 PM
I know a couple of guys that own the Vacpack Pro-2300. They swear by them. They used to own Food saver.Especially since you can do a bag 15" wide. Here's a link if you want to look at it http://www.vacmesh.com/Prago_2300_2100.html
Good Luck.

Hofy
03-18-2010, 01:58 PM
I have had a FoodSaver Deluxe 35-0700 for over 10 years now. Picked it up new in the box at a garage sale for $10:mrgreen: I am now using the ZipVac brand Universal sealer bags.
There are several things to like about them. First off they are half the price of the FoodSaver ones. (1/3 the price if on sale!) They are made of a heavier plastic and have a larger label area. Best of all the are made in the USA. I buy mine at Menards (big box store lumber yard like Home Depot and Lowes).

Goddahavit
03-18-2010, 02:55 PM
I know a couple of guys that own the Vacpack Pro-2300. They swear by them. They used to own Food saver.Especially since you can do a bag 15" wide. Here's a link if you want to look at it http://www.vacmesh.com/Prago_2300_2100.html
Good Luck.

I have the cabella's one cg-15 i believe, very similar but not the exact same as the pro-2300, works very good, I got it as a present or I would have the Pro-2300.

Had a foodsaver, almost cost me a window and the foodsaver when I tossed it at the door!!!

GreasePig
03-18-2010, 06:16 PM
Here is a trhead from last year when I bought mine. I LOVE it. We use it all the time and it is awesome!

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74086

JD08
03-18-2010, 06:40 PM
I have a FoodSaver v2830 and love it. Sam's sells a box with 4 rolls and 2 sets of bags for $40.

Meat Burner
03-18-2010, 06:48 PM
Foodsaver here as well and also buy the rolls. Unbelievable how much we use this maching. Matter of fact, getting ready to put some dino bones in boiling water that was from a cook from last fall. Excellent machine for the bbq folk.

DanPop
03-18-2010, 08:42 PM
Seems like the foodsaver people change models a lot, none of these mentioned here are even being sold anymore, but it sounds like all the machines do the job, so thanks all.

Canada Mike
03-18-2010, 08:46 PM
I got a foodsaver for Xmas, and now never make PP without throwing in an extra just to save. I get my bags, 6 11" rolls for $50 here:

http://www.bowhunterssuperstore.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=foodsaver&x=16&y=16

Cheers.

GreasePig
03-18-2010, 08:49 PM
Seems like the foodsaver people change models a lot, none of these mentioned here are even being sold anymore, but it sounds like all the machines do the job, so thanks all.

They change the model numbers quite a bit but they are all solid. I like the vacu-sucker tube on mine and it came with a marinating dish that you hook up to the vacu-sucker and it works great!

Just look at the features and you will find the right one for you. Foodsaver is for SURE the brand I would recommend. The bags and rolls I can get at Sam's and they have a long good history of customer service.

btcg
03-18-2010, 09:06 PM
Just dug mine out from the back of the pantry.

It's a Food Saver VAC240.

Bbq Bubba
03-18-2010, 09:15 PM
I like these.

http://www.onlinevacshop.com/images/ERRRML.JPG

DanPop
03-18-2010, 09:49 PM
Darn allergens!

jonboy
03-19-2010, 06:06 AM
They change the model numbers quite a bit but they are all solid. I like the vacu-sucker tube on mine and it came with a marinating dish that you hook up to the vacu-sucker and it works great!

We recently upgraded sealers and got the one at sams. (150.00)
It is able to store the roll of plastic inside, has a cutter/trimmer for the bags. To seal with it just slide the bag into the slot.
The main reason we traded up was the marinating part. Nothing scientific about my review but it allows me to get home from work and marinate chicken or steaks in just
a few mins vers hours.
They have an attachment for sealing mason jars also. I plan on getting one of those for storing sauces in the refrig.
jon

btcg
03-19-2010, 06:29 AM
We recently upgraded sealers and got the one at sams. (150.00)
It is able to store the roll of plastic inside, has a cutter/trimmer for the bags. To seal with it just slide the bag into the slot.
The main reason we traded up was the marinating part. Nothing scientific about my review but it allows me to get home from work and marinate chicken or steaks in just
a few mins vers hours.
They have an attachment for sealing mason jars also. I plan on getting one of those for storing sauces in the refrig.
jon

The "roll in the unit" seems like a feature they should've hit on from the onset.

Gotta laugh, my unit is old... like 4 or 5 years old. But, it's brand new, still in a sealed box. I'm opening it today, and getting started using it.

Porky
03-19-2010, 10:41 AM
I have a Foodsaver that has served me well for the 3 years that I have had it and like the others I buy the roll and cut to size. Great investment and not just for BBQ purposes.

Smokin'Ron
03-19-2010, 12:58 PM
I know you've received a lot of info already, but ffigured I'd post my experience.

My wife purchased a Foodsaver V3835 for me. Looks pretty on the counter, but I can only do raw foods, it seems to have an isssue with hot foods. The start switch is real finicky on it as well. I do like the custom bag feature, but really don't use it that often. Thinks she paid about $150 for a year or so ago.

A co-worker gave me an old V1085 Clamshell style. No box, but it was like brand new. I love it, works flawlessly all the time. Pint or Wuart Bags. I did 25 Pint bags of pulled chicken in BBQ sauce in less than 30 minutes. It didn't miss a beat.

Good luck

PS if you want a really good price on bags, go straight to foodsaver.com signup for their mailing list and buy 5 or more of one kind to get a % off discount. Watch you mail from them, sometimes they have 30+% off, that's when I stock up.