PDA

View Full Version : Pastrami Burnt End Rub

bigabyte
03-17-2010, 08:18 PM
Looking for suggestions...

I had a point in the freezer that had been brined with pastrami flavorings. I pulled it out for some reason today to cook it. Now, when i chop up the point for burnt ends, I usually apply some more rub at a couple different points. However, since "Pastrami Rub" is so dang peppery and strong, I'm thinking a bunch of that on little chunks of pastrami might be too much.

I've been tossing about ideas all day and figured I might as well ask the Brethren because, well, you all come up with such great ideas all the time!:cool: What would you do with this Pastrami Burnt Ends approach after the point starts getting tender and you chop it up and make burnt ends out of it?

landarc
03-17-2010, 08:20 PM
I would go with just using a little herbal stuff, maybe Todd's Dirt and some good sauce. Don't add any more pepper at all. I might add some sugar, but, the sauce should have plenty.

Bacchus
03-17-2010, 08:53 PM
Maybe whip up a cream gravy and do S.O.S. with small chunks of it?

Ron_L
03-17-2010, 09:14 PM
How about using the rest of the pastrami rub and leave out the pepper and mustard seed? Just garlic, coriander, paprika, cloves, and allspice

bigabyte
03-17-2010, 09:17 PM
How about using the rest of the pastrami rub and leave out the pepper and mustard seed? Just garlic, coriander, paprika, cloves, and allspice
That was my thought originally, along with maybe some salt and sugar. I think i may just go ahead and do that, it's about show time for those things any way.:thumb:

The BBQ QB
03-17-2010, 09:21 PM
How about use the rest of the Pastrami Bub, finish in a pan and make a cognac Cream pan sauce to pour over the point.

Point au Poivre?

Never done it, but might be a hit?

Mike D

Nick@ParkAQ
03-18-2010, 12:12 PM
All good ideas and Mike's idea is my favorite so far. Send pics.

bigabyte
03-18-2010, 12:46 PM
Much to my surprise, this point did not finish until this morning. It was sitting at 140 from 6pm last night until 3am this morning, at which point i just resigned to checking it when i woke up at 6:30. At 8:30 it was still only 180, but the thermo slid into it like it was nothing, so I knew it was done. Because I had no prep time really at that point (no pun intended), I just let it rest, chopped it up and put it in a baggie in the fridge. So no pastrami burnt ends. at least not yet. I could put the bits back on, but they were so tasty I don't know if they will last.