PDA

View Full Version : wood grilling vs lump grilling

LT72884
03-17-2010, 08:09 PM
I know i have asked alot of questions lately, but im just trying to understand how things work is all. haha. Right now im trying to find my "flavor profile" of what i like and what not. However right now i just have an interesting question.

If i were to light some hickory logs or oak logs in my grill and let them get to nice burning embers, about 500*F. Is there really a taste difference between this cooking style vs using lump? Im not smoking the food, just grilling it.

Im just curious is all. The main reason i ask is because i swear there is a differnece between using logs as a fuel source vs lump as the fuel source..

thanx

LT72884
03-17-2010, 11:20 PM
didnt see the other post about wood, propane and etc

Nick@ParkAQ
03-18-2010, 12:22 PM
I've done both. What I like about making my own coal in situ is that I get really hot and very smoky flavor quickly. I do this to empart flavor to the crust and usually end subjecting the meat to a minute or two of flash flame broiling. Here's what we did yesterday for example. I used oak. http://lh4.ggpht.com/_X74TZ6CAtpA/S6HFl1yDAsI/AAAAAAAAAPY/JTJ_fiuY1Oo/s640/CIMG9907.JPG I wouldnt do this if I'm slow cooking because most people don't like it too strong. This also works beautifully when grilling burgers I did these a couple of days ago with the same technique. http://lh4.ggpht.com/_X74TZ6CAtpA/S6AnbvGJKjI/AAAAAAAAANc/W4hZLn1INTY/s640/CIMG9857.JPG Good luck

itschris
03-18-2010, 12:49 PM
I do the same thing. I get an oak fire as hot as I can. I've reading of 1090 to 1100 degrees assuming the accuracy of the guage is there, but either way, I get it as hot as possible. I'll throw the 1 3/4 (at the minimum) thick steaks over the got fire... sear them about 3 minutes on each side rotating 45 degrees once on each side then move the over to a medium grill for finishing... just another couple or so minutes then let them rest for a couple of minutes for a true medium rare.

The carmelization is amazing and there's a nice nuance of smoke but nothing overpowering in any way. Burgers and other quick cuts come out great as well.

Puppyboy
03-18-2010, 01:20 PM
When I grill, I use lump then toss on a few pieces of wood left over from when I split logs.

LT72884
03-18-2010, 01:47 PM
so i take it there is not to much of a diff between using lump or wood logs. Besides temp. Will the real wood produce a different flavor than lump?

thnx

Nick@ParkAQ
03-18-2010, 08:03 PM
Wood produces a much stronger flavor thats why I find it effective for hot and fast grilling. For slower cooks I use mostly lump with a little wood

1_T_Scot
03-18-2010, 08:34 PM
If I understand correctly Lump is wood with all the stuff that you really don't want baked out of it. Of course I assume when they do this you lose some of the good stuff too.

I use lump with some wood.

LT72884
03-19-2010, 09:53 PM
Ok, the main reason i asked this question is because i have noticed a big taste difference between a WSM and a smoker like this one below. The one below produced some dang good chicken., Thats cuz the dude runnin it is a national champ at BBQ. Some of you may know him as T. anyway, i have had food from WSM's made by champs as well but the is a difference in taste. the taste is more mild in the stick burner. I can taste the chicken, sauce and rub. why is that.

http://www.q4u.com/newweb/images/ribfest05/2.jpg

SmokinAussie
03-19-2010, 11:18 PM
Chris (Bigabyte) wrote extensively about this topic not long ago when a member was asking about Creosote problems. While it's not exactly on topic, the information is so in depth that you can derive some answers to you questions from this... just can't find the thread....... Chris????:mod:

Nick@ParkAQ
03-20-2010, 02:03 AM
In our circles its DMC = Damn Good Chicken (yes we know...)
Thanks COS i'll look for that thread as well I imagine it talks about the relative volume of output with different types of wood as well as their relative humidity. should be interesting and I appreciate the reference.