PDA

View Full Version : Why cant I find a used WSM...

CUTigerQ
03-17-2010, 07:48 PM
In the WHOLE damned Atlanta area? CL is NO help! Any of you brethren wanna sell me your WSM?

cdollar
03-17-2010, 07:55 PM
They're like hen's teeth. I've only seen one on CL here in the last year, and I snagged it.

Chuck

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
03-17-2010, 07:58 PM
Patience Grasshopper, Patience.

I have found one for free and another for $35 over the past couple of years.

Smoothsmoke
03-17-2010, 08:11 PM
They are hard to find, because they are a damn fine smoker. Not many people want to sell them. I've been looking for a while and have come up empty. I'm just going to build a UDS and add a diffuser.

jpayne22
03-17-2010, 08:49 PM
I feel your pain. I look on CL about everyday too for a WSM.

Saiko
03-17-2010, 08:51 PM
Add a diffuser plate and a 2nd rack to your UDS and you basically have a WSM.

mbshop
03-17-2010, 09:18 PM
i looked for over three years. finally got one that was a little damaged and had no guts for $50 . now i have a wonderfull wsm. not pretty but she wears her years well. so keep lookin.

Jay Bird
03-17-2010, 09:27 PM
Got one. Ain't sellin'. This seems to be the usual story from happy WSM Qers.:wink:

cdollar
03-17-2010, 09:33 PM
Set up an RSS feed for CL so you will know as soon as possible if one comes up.

Chuck

CUTigerQ
03-17-2010, 09:40 PM
ok. How? Never been much into rss.

CUTigerQ
03-17-2010, 09:43 PM
NM...figured it out

bobaftt
03-17-2010, 09:52 PM
talk to me about rss feeds...

BigdogEMT
03-17-2010, 09:54 PM
I hear you!!! I found one this weel on cl and it must have been snatched up in seconds! Either that or the guy must have rethought his $50 price after his email lit up like a christmas tree!!!! But I keep looking!

Terry

Grinder10
03-17-2010, 10:05 PM
I've been looking for one in Memphis. No luck.

Phesant
03-17-2010, 10:08 PM
I got lucky last week, hang in their you'll get one soon.:wink:

Jeff Selle
03-17-2010, 10:22 PM
I am constantly scouting too. No WSMs yet... I did pick up a nice weber performer on CL, though...

My living nightmare is having a neighbor, who owns an 18.5 WSM and only uses the base for a farkin' fire pit ... the rest of it is in a pile behind his garage!!! He just moved in and I want to trade him my fire pit and a rack of ribs for his WSM... these things take timing though...

cdollar
03-17-2010, 10:47 PM
talk to me about rss feeds...

Go to CL
Do the search you want
When the result page comes back and click on RSS at the bottom right
You will need something like YAHOO(what I use) to monitor the RSS

Chuck

NorthwestBBQ
03-17-2010, 10:53 PM
Or you can just buy one and fire it up!

zydecopaws
03-17-2010, 11:14 PM
I am constantly scouting too. No WSMs yet... I did pick up a nice weber performer on CL, though...

My living nightmare is having a neighbor, who owns an 18.5 WSM and only uses the base for a farkin' fire pit ... the rest of it is in a pile behind his garage!!! He just moved in and I want to trade him my fire pit and a rack of ribs for his WSM... these things take timing though...

Go pick up another Smokey Joe cheap and offer to trade it to him for the WSM. Selling point is he can use it for a grill as well as a fire pit... :idea:

sdb25
03-17-2010, 11:36 PM
Just build yourself a drum.

Professor Salt
03-17-2010, 11:52 PM
Try this tool for searching Craiglist, and you can parse the auctions within X miles of your zip code.

searchtempest.com

You can set it up for RSS feeds too

GammaRei
03-18-2010, 05:23 AM
Im thinking that the end of summer might be a good time to check, I have a feeling that a lot of people that have spare cash will buy some expecting to become bbq superstars and fail. Then try to sell their smokers!!!

- G

swamprb
03-18-2010, 05:39 AM
You don't really find them.....they find you. So be ready!

Dave Russell
03-18-2010, 07:51 AM
Here in TN you can't even find one in a store. I guess retailers think there's no way somebody will spend $300 on a smoker that's sitting next to one that looks almost identical and costs $60.

With the exception of a friend that has had one in a box for years and never used, I don't know anybody that has one, and I've never seen one down here except for at a 'Q contest. They're pretty dang rare, so I'd be surprised to find one on CL.

sunline1
03-18-2010, 08:15 AM
MariettaSmoker

I live in a small town in Pennsylvania. I looked on CL for a WSM for over 2 years.
The nearest town listed on CL to where I live, is over fifty miles away.

One day while on the Weber Bullet website, listed in the "Trading Post" section someone posted there was a CL posting near me about 20 miles from my house. Bingo I bought it for $35, it had a few minor suface scrates on it (lid), and everything else was in great shape etc.

I had just about given up, so hang in there, and hope you find one.

Happy Smoking !!!!

Sunline1

SteevieG
03-18-2010, 08:29 AM
I've got 2 and I can't bring myself to give up either one. I do look on CL often just to see what's there but I haven't ever seen a WSM on CL in the Atlanta area.

DannyMac
03-18-2010, 08:32 AM
You don't really find them.....they find you. So be ready!

You're absolutely right! A co-worker and I were talking and he said, "Oh I have a Weber smoker, never use it. You want it?" I too quickly and excitedly said, "How much do you want for it?" He took a long pause and said, "No, I mean you could, uh, borrow it sometime." $#*%@!!! I'm staying away from the poker tables too.

Dave Russell
03-18-2010, 08:34 AM
I think the wsms are really worth the investment if you can't find one used. Mine will be here LONG after my drums rust out, and it's sure easier to clean or set up. Of course, with the porcelain coating, it's not like I'm worried about rust or burn out. We got mine right before Christmas for $269 w/ free shipping, and a Weber spatula and pair of tongs. I think similiar deals show up on Amazon, etc.

I don't think they sell near as many Webers down here in the south as they do up north. Like I said, you can't even find one in a store down here. However, you might come across one on the CL since you're checking in such a large metro area. Good luck!

Harbormaster
03-18-2010, 08:53 AM
Part of the problem is that there are guys like me who hoard WSMs.

Mind you, I have never purchased one in Georgia, but I buy all of them that I can in Wisconsin. :becky:

Crüe-B-Cüe
03-18-2010, 09:08 AM
I have checked CL daily for over a year. I rarely find anything. The problem is nobody around here sells any WSM's. All I find is the cheap crap that Walmart sells or chitty homemade units that are rusted out and they still want $1000 for.

CUTigerQ
03-18-2010, 11:10 AM
Or you can just buy one and fire it up!

Id love to. Please PM me your credit card info to charge it on. Im BROKE! :becky::laugh::doh:

CUTigerQ
03-18-2010, 11:13 AM
I've got 2 and I can't bring myself to give up either one. I do look on CL often just to see what's there but I haven't ever seen a WSM on CL in the Atlanta area.

CMON, DUDE. Do a brother right and sell me one of those puppies.:doh::pray: