tmjst
03-17-2010, 10:49 AM
http://www.drmirkin.com/public/ezine031410.html
:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

btcg
03-17-2010, 11:31 AM
http://www.drmirkin.com/public/ezine031410.html
:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

It's the carbs that are the killers.... carbs are sugar.

In Dr. Bernstein's ground breaking book on diabetes, he says that when man first discovered argriculture, he began then to kill himself.

tmjst
03-17-2010, 01:28 PM
Good thing ribs are low-carb!

Chef Jim
03-17-2010, 03:06 PM
Hey guys and gals, have you looked at the sugar content of some of the rubs out there? Just got some to try and Salt was # 1, then Sugar.

hugeevilrobot
03-17-2010, 03:10 PM
If you read the whole article, its not exactly good news for us- http://www.drmirkin.com/public/ezine110908.html
(http://www.drmirkin.com/public/ezine110908.html)

suprfast
03-17-2010, 05:35 PM
Hey guys and gals, have you looked at the sugar content of some of the rubs out there? Just got some to try and Salt was # 1, then Sugar.

Such a little amount of rub or seasoning "usually" goes on the food. If a person does not have a history of high blood pressure or cholesterol then salt really isnt an issue. Athletes take in way more salt than an average person to stay hydrated. I have an idea, when in doubt EXERCISE. :boxing:

Also if you could, try to find rubs or marinades made with natural sweeteners(honey, agave, etc...) instead of high fructose corn syrup.

Maybe we do eat too much salt, too much sugar, too much crap. I think about all the carbs italians and french eat with all the seasonings and they have really low rates of obesity and health issues VS Americans. We need to start making healthy decisions. If you dont, you can only blame yourself.

RANT RANT RANT. sorry guys, touchy subject.

btcg
03-17-2010, 06:28 PM
Such a little amount of rub or seasoning "usually" goes on the food. If a person does not have a history of high blood pressure or cholesterol then salt really isnt an issue. Athletes take in way more salt than an average person to stay hydrated. I have an idea, when in doubt EXERCISE. :boxing:

Also if you could, try to find rubs or marinades made with natural sweeteners(honey, agave, etc...) instead of high fructose corn syrup.

Maybe we do eat too much salt, too much sugar, too much crap. I think about all the carbs italians and french eat with all the seasonings and they have really low rates of obesity and health issues VS Americans. We need to start making healthy decisions. If you dont, you can only blame yourself.

Not a lot of difference. 1 tblsp of agave has 16 carbs. If we consider that even healthy people should have fewer than 50 carbs per day, this is about 1/3 of your daily intake. Have milk with your coffee? Carbs there. Eat a tomato or carrot? All carbs. Useless calories that cause you to generate insulin, which turns to L Tryptaphan, and then Serotonin in the brain. You get a buzz, folks, which is why it's called comfort food.

Actually, this is a myth. They claimed that the Chinese diet was the healthiest of all. And, their rates of diabetes were very low. BUT, when it was investigated, the low rate was because the chinese were rarely screened. Once they started, they discovered that the rate of diabetes in china was off the charts... approaching 200 million cases of it. It doesn't matter what nationality you are, when you eat sugar, your pancreas must produce insulin to counteract it, and the pancreas is not an organ that regenerates: when you wear it out, it's over, you have diabetes.

Now, the interesting thing about the Adkins diet is that, if you can stick to it, it's the healthiest diet for you in the world. In countless studies, the intake of meat, fat, and cholesterol has the opposite affect: the instances of fat, cholesterol, and side-effects like HBP and heart disease go down.

But here's the rub: cheat, and eat carbs with it, and it reverese this, you'll fast track yourself to HBP and heart disease.

The person who can adhere to Adkins is a rare bird.

bigabyte
03-17-2010, 06:51 PM
For farkin pete's sake folks, why the fark is anybody still giving a fark-wad what these idiots say? Nothing has changed except that every few years they say "Product X" is bad for you, only to wait another 10 years and say, "Oops, we were wrong, it's good for you now".

They only know two things for sure, jack and chit. For cripes sake, they've been studying farking heart disease since the farking 60's and the doctors will STILL tell you they can't be sure if your cholesterol really matters, only that statistically speaking there is a correlation, while people with varying cholesterol levels still die of heart attacks all of the farking world.

Makes me farking sick to keep hearing about it.

btcg
03-17-2010, 07:18 PM
For farkin pete's sake folks, why the fark is anybody still giving a fark-wad what these idiots say? Nothing has changed except that every few years they say "Product X" is bad for you, only to wait another 10 years and say, "Oops, we were wrong, it's good for you now".

They only know two things for sure, jack and chit. For cripes sake, they've been studying farking heart disease since the farking 60's and the doctors will STILL tell you they can't be sure if your cholesterol really matters, only that statistically speaking there is a correlation, while people with varying cholesterol levels still die of heart attacks all of the farking world.

Makes me farking sick to keep hearing about it.

Diabetes, however, isn't a gray area. A meat laden diet, with care taken to lessen fat intake, is proven to be a very healthy diet.

You're right... to a degree.... it's all really a matter of common sense.

We're on a planet that's 90% water: we were put here to eat fish (protein). Seems obvious.

suprfast
03-18-2010, 02:00 AM
Not a lot of difference. 1 tblsp of agave has 16 carbs. If we consider that even healthy people should have fewer than 50 carbs per day, this is about 1/3 of your daily intake. Have milk with your coffee? Carbs there. Eat a tomato or carrot? All carbs. Useless calories that cause you to generate insulin, which turns to L Tryptaphan, and then Serotonin in the brain. You get a buzz, folks, which is why it's called comfort food.

Actually, this is a myth. They claimed that the Chinese diet was the healthiest of all. And, their rates of diabetes were very low. BUT, when it was investigated, the low rate was because the chinese were rarely screened. Once they started, they discovered that the rate of diabetes in china was off the charts... approaching 200 million cases of it. It doesn't matter what nationality you are, when you eat sugar, your pancreas must produce insulin to counteract it, and the pancreas is not an organ that regenerates: when you wear it out, it's over, you have diabetes.

Now, the interesting thing about the Adkins diet is that, if you can stick to it, it's the healthiest diet for you in the world. In countless studies, the intake of meat, fat, and cholesterol has the opposite affect: the instances of fat, cholesterol, and side-effects like HBP and heart disease go down.

But here's the rub: cheat, and eat carbs with it, and it reverese this, you'll fast track yourself to HBP and heart disease.

The person who can adhere to Adkins is a rare bird.

Wow, are we way off base or what. What is your definition of healthy? I work out 5 times per week and consume easily over 150-200g carbs 75-100g of fat, and 200-250g of protein daily. (that is 2075 calories on a bad day and roughly +/- 2700 calories on a good day) 50g carbs per day is only 200 calories. There are 4 calories per gram of carb. 50x4=200 calories. 1/3 of your daily intake??? You are telling me we should only eat 600 calories daily? I am so lost here. I think we need more than 600 calories just to get out of bed(yes im kidding here about the getting out of bed part).

Carbs are useless?? Tomato and carrot vs what, SODA. Simple sugars/carbs are the most useless carbs available. Whole wheat and other complex carbs(fruits and veggies) digest slower so the insulin spike is less severe. Munch on PEZ, pixie sticks, or SODA and watch that insulin spike fast.

Milk with your coffee. Last time i had coffee(i admit i dont drink much coffee) i put maybe an ounce in an 8oz glass with the rest coffee. One ounce of WHOLE(yes i said whole) milk has roughly 17 calories, 1g of fat, 1g of carbs, 1g protein.

Who is the "THEY" in your second paragraph? I never said chinese had a better diet, i said the french and italians eat a lot of carbs and yet they still tend to be healthier than we are in america in terms of obesity. Why is that?? It probably has to do with the processed foods in america.

Adkins diet is awful. Yes, its better than the NO FAT diet of the late 80's early 90's but a person needs carbs to function. Im not telling you to go to olive garden and eat all the bread sticks possible, but im also not going to stop you. Not consuming fruits and veggies because they contain carbs is ridiculous. These are the best carbs a person can consume. Yes, they contain sugars, NATURAL SUGARS. They are good for you.

Im not exactly sure what diet you are on but from the sounds of it, it works for you. Just get some of your facts together a little better before spouting what any doctor in the world would call crap.

To end on a high note, eating carbs, fat, and protein is not what makes us fat. Its the fact that we dont know how to eat in moderation, nor do we have portion control.

btcg
03-18-2010, 08:35 AM
Wow, are we way off base or what. What is your definition of healthy? I work out 5 times per week and consume easily over 150-200g carbs 75-100g of fat, and 200-250g of protein daily. (that is 2075 calories on a bad day and roughly +/- 2700 calories on a good day) 50g carbs per day is only 200 calories. There are 4 calories per gram of carb. 50x4=200 calories. 1/3 of your daily intake??? You are telling me we should only eat 600 calories daily? I am so lost here. I think we need more than 600 calories just to get out of bed(yes im kidding here about the getting out of bed part).

Read it again: 16 x 3 = 48 of 50 recommended carbohydrates. Therefore, 1 tblsp is nearly equal to 1/3.

Carbs are useless?? Tomato and carrot vs what, SODA. Simple sugars/carbs are the most useless carbs available. Whole wheat and other complex carbs(fruits and veggies) digest slower so the insulin spike is less severe. Munch on PEZ, pixie sticks, or SODA and watch that insulin spike fast.

Complex? It doesn't matter. Carbohydrates, complex or fast-acting, are chains of sugar, and in addition to being unhealthy, they're a poor form of energy. A couple years ago, my friend was comp'ed with 2 VIP tickets to the Richmond NASCAR race they have in early September. We had our own private tent area with all you could eat & drink. The people at the table I was at (including my friend) loaded up on the salads: potatoe, macoroni, etc. I stuck to the proteins: pulled pork & beef. About an hour or so after we ate, everyone at my table was yawning, and wishing they could take naps. Not me. We did the pit tour, and I had tons of energy.

Milk with your coffee. Last time i had coffee(i admit i dont drink much coffee) i put maybe an ounce in an 8oz glass with the rest coffee. One ounce of WHOLE(yes i said whole) milk has roughly 17 calories, 1g of fat, 1g of carbs, 1g protein.

Who is the "THEY" in your second paragraph? I never said chinese had a better diet, i said the french and italians eat a lot of carbs and yet they still tend to be healthier than we are in america in terms of obesity. Why is that?? It probably has to do with the processed foods in america.

The point is: by the time you add up all the carbs you take in, and often people consume more than 100 grams before noon, you realize the scope of the problem. It really doesn't matter what nationality we discuss: no ethnic group is immune.

Adkins diet is awful. Yes, its better than the NO FAT diet of the late 80's early 90's but a person needs carbs to function. Im not telling you to go to olive garden and eat all the bread sticks possible, but im also not going to stop you. Not consuming fruits and veggies because they contain carbs is ridiculous. These are the best carbs a person can consume. Yes, they contain sugars, NATURAL SUGARS. They are good for you. Im not exactly sure what diet you are on but from the sounds of it, it works for you. Just get some of your facts together a little better before spouting what any doctor in the world would call crap.

I would recommend Dr. Bernstein's book to you: "Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution"

http://www.diabetes-book.com/

You're incorrect, you don't need carbs to "function." I eat very few, and do quite well. Diabetics (and others interested in real nutrition) who follow their diets all do.

As to Dr. Bernstein, he's the foremost expert on diabetes (and nutrition), and is the longest living type 1 diabetic ever documented. It was Dr. Bernstein who advocated the use of meters by patients (against the "then" conventional wisdom of the medical community) so they could test themselves, as well as all of the current treaments for diabetics.

As to what many doctors would tell you, you got that part right, many spout the incorrect data, even yet.

Of course, it was only 10 years ago that the medical community claimed that ulcers were not usually related to bacteria. We now know that they are, almost 100% of the time, and believe me, I know. I had a 7 year ulcer, and a doctor who argued to me (against what I read) that bacteria had "nothing to do" with why I was sick every night. When he finally relented, and gave me the 14 day treatment (a regime of penicillin/pepcid/pepto-bismal every 6 hours for 14 days), I was cured. He humbly admitted that he was wrong: rare for a doctor.

As to ending on a "high note", let's do a real one: some 65% of ALL people will end up with diabetes in one form, or another. What's the definition of this? When your blood sugars readings are 100 or higher after a sleep induced fast.

When your sugars reach 120 and higher, you begin to do damage to your body. And 65% of all people end up with morning sugars that are 100 or higher, and the sad thing is most are not even aware of it!

Now, Adkins isn't "horrible." If you stick to it, it's the healthiest diet on the planet. Countless studies have proven it.

augie
03-18-2010, 09:20 AM
Now, Adkins isn't "horrible." If you stick to it, it's the healthiest diet on the planet. Countless studies have proven it.

And countless others have refuted it.

It's your body, so by all means, do what works for you (both physically and psychologically), but don't expect to convert everyone to your "religion" just because you believe...

btcg
03-18-2010, 09:33 AM
And countless others have refuted it.

It's your body, so by all means, do what works for you (both physically and psychologically), but don't expect to convert everyone to your "religion" just because you believe...

You aren't debating me. You're debating Dr. Bernstein. He has single-handedly changed the face of nutrition, and I am merely quoting what I have learned from reading his 2 books. Feel free to believe what you like.

As to the others, like my Select Care doctor (or, Neglect Care, as my fellow workers called it), they'll come around. Doctors once treated anemia by blood-letting. I kid you not!

We're a forum of meat lovers/eaters, and despite what many claim, if you take care, there's nothing wrong with it.

Fat Woody
03-18-2010, 10:59 AM
I'm not a big fan of diets, fad or otherwise, but I think the Glycemic Index/Glycemic Load deal (which really just amounts to common sense eating) is about the most sensible approach to nutrition I've ever seen. Pretty good source for info: http://www.nutritiondata.com/

Diet (nutrition) is also heavily dependent on age, metabolism, lifestyle, etc. Nothing covers everyone, no matter what any doctor selling books says. If someone works out 4-5 times a week and does a reasonable amount of cardio, they are going to be able to intake more calories than someone who gets little or no exercise.

suprfast
03-18-2010, 12:29 PM
A single doctor changed your life.
http://amyletinsky.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/berenstainbearsdoctor.jpg

Im sure Dr Kevorkian can be nominated by a select few for changing the the way some people live too.

You example of nascar is a "SMALL SAMPLE" and not acceptable.

Really, how much do you weigh. What is your height.

Im 5'8" 210lbs and eat more carbs in a day then you do in a week. I dont recall "crashing" because of my carb intake. Your examples, your methodology, your intelligence is way off base. Enjoy your diet that works for few. Try to explain things out a little further otherwise you continue to not make sense.

Im done with this thread.

btcg
03-18-2010, 02:43 PM
A single doctor changed your life.
http://amyletinsky.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/berenstainbearsdoctor.jpg

Im sure Dr Kevorkian can be nominated by a select few for changing the the way some people live too.

You example of nascar is a "SMALL SAMPLE" and not acceptable.

Really, how much do you weigh. What is your height.

Im 5'8" 210lbs and eat more carbs in a day then you do in a week. I dont recall "crashing" because of my carb intake. Your examples, your methodology, your intelligence is way off base. Enjoy your diet that works for few. Try to explain things out a little further otherwise you continue to not make sense.

Im done with this thread.

Sorry guy, but I gave you facts, you come back with "trust me".That just about sums up your argument.

btcg
03-18-2010, 02:45 PM
I'm not a big fan of diets, fad or otherwise, but I think the Glycemic Index/Glycemic Load deal (which really just amounts to common sense eating) is about the most sensible approach to nutrition I've ever seen. Pretty good source for info: http://www.nutritiondata.com/

Diet (nutrition) is also heavily dependent on age, metabolism, lifestyle, etc. Nothing covers everyone, no matter what any doctor selling books says. If someone works out 4-5 times a week and does a reasonable amount of cardio, they are going to be able to intake more calories than someone who gets little or no exercise.

On the Berstein, which is a type of Adkins: a protein diet, my glycemic went from 9 something to 5.6, which my doctor says is ideal. Glycemic adherence is very important.