PDA

View Full Version : Ribs are on...beer in hand....

CUTigerQ
03-16-2010, 03:50 PM
And im cookin! Will have pr0n later when I open the UDS up to get the skirt and other parts off that I sliced off. Did these St. Louis style. I just hope I don t have to throw these away like my first try. :roll::shock:

MikeR
03-16-2010, 03:53 PM
What time should we be there and what should I bring?

CUTigerQ
03-16-2010, 03:57 PM
well, if you can make it by 10, CMON! Just bring your appetite! Got a cool on waitin on ya.

thomasjurisd
03-16-2010, 04:00 PM
Georgia on a fast train! -Billy Joe Shaver.

sdb25
03-16-2010, 04:04 PM
So, any info on prep, rub, temps, times, technique? What are you doing different this time compared to the first attempt?

Good luck, looking forward to the pics!

CUTigerQ
03-16-2010, 04:24 PM
On the prep, Im using a different rub...THIS one is without all of the Cayenne Pepper I had in the first batch. That was a HUGE mistake. Rubbed them down, and let them sit for a while then dusted them with more rub just before going on the grill. THIS time, instead of taking them out if the pack and rubbing them and then cooking them, I actually trimmed them St. Louis style (which I knew NOTHING about last time). They were pretty and rectangular after the trim and damned if they werent asking to just be rubbed and cooked. Gonna use the 3-2-1 method on these. Gonna smoke em for 3 hours at 225-250 then foil them with brown sugar, honey, and butter and put them back on the smoker for 2 more hours. Unfoil, then throw em back on for another hour or u til I get good pullback and bend.

I did NONE of this stuff the last time.

thomasjurisd
03-16-2010, 04:27 PM
This is Tuesday right?

CUTigerQ
03-16-2010, 04:29 PM
yeah, but its MY Saturday. Not off again til Sunday. Gonna do butts again Sunday but may do ribs again as well for Dinner then too. Depends on how these turn out.

sdb25
03-16-2010, 04:32 PM
Careful with the 3-2-1 at those temps. Might actually cut those times down a bit, and think about a heat diffuser. Ignore the pull back, and just use the bend test.

CUTigerQ
03-16-2010, 04:52 PM
hmmm....225 is not good for 3-2-1? When I say between 225-250, Im cruising around 235. What is the best temp? Im reading the 3-2-1 roadmap right now.

Chef Jim
03-16-2010, 05:04 PM
If you decide to toss them ribs, just let me know, There are lots of folks down here that don't know the difference.

Jay Bird
03-16-2010, 05:05 PM
Sounds like a plan. Your 225-250 range works OK for me with the 3-2-1.

CUTigerQ
03-16-2010, 05:07 PM
If you decide to toss them ribs, just let me know, There are lots of folks down here that don't know the difference.

LOL...Ill let you know, Chief!

landarc
03-16-2010, 05:40 PM
Sounds good to me, I bet this one works great, especially since you got rid of the 1/4 cup of cayenne.

CUTigerQ
03-16-2010, 06:22 PM
Sounds good to me, I bet this one works great, especially since you got rid of the 1/4 cup of cayenne.

Yessir! Not ANY Cayenne in THIS rub! LOL.

CUTigerQ
03-16-2010, 06:25 PM
Just wrapped them, (brown sugar, honey, butter - wrapped tight) and put them back on. One question, though...I have the skirt and other meat I cut off of the rack smoking too. How long should I leave them on? I read somewhere to take them off for the last hour of the cook of the rack of ribs...this way the ribs get an extra hour...any thoughts on that?

landarc
03-16-2010, 06:27 PM
You still have them? I eat them along the way to getting the ribs done. They go well with beer.

CUTigerQ
03-16-2010, 06:30 PM
Here some pr0n to hold you until the ribs get done...Sweet Blue Smoke!

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz61/MariettaSmoker/BBQ/smokinporknbutts/DSC_4640.jpg

landarc
03-16-2010, 06:43 PM
That is not Pron, that is a picture of a lid. Pron has to have food in it.

CUTigerQ
03-16-2010, 06:45 PM
it's LID pron...food pron comes later.

GreasePig
03-16-2010, 06:46 PM
You should at least post a pic of the beer to hold us over! Tease!

;)

CUTigerQ
03-16-2010, 06:50 PM
You should at least post a pic of the beer to hold us over! Tease!

;)

Stopped drinking the beer and started drinking the Evan Williams I mixed with the apple juice squirter. Not the SAME even williams, but out of the same bottle.

landarc
03-16-2010, 07:00 PM
Wait, you are using the apple juice squirter to baste the cook with bourbon?

CUTigerQ
03-16-2010, 07:19 PM
LOL :laugh:

CUTigerQ
03-16-2010, 07:58 PM
Well, dammit. I put too much rub on the pieces that I cut off of the ribs and smoked as well...they didnt get the benefit of the Brown sugar, honey, butter wrap like the ribs did (they are still cooking), but the extras had too much rub on them. I hope the ribs turn out a bit better being a they are swimming in honey and butter right now.

Im tired of ruining ribs. LOL

landarc
03-16-2010, 08:03 PM
I am just gonna say here, this is a good argument for using a very very simple rub while you are learning to cook ribs. I mean, salt+pepper+one other element (granulated garlic maybe) and nothing else. It will allow you to focus on learning the texture and feel of the meat and you do not have to worry about other stuff.

CUTigerQ
03-16-2010, 08:05 PM
I am just gonna say here, this is a good argument for using a very very simple rub while you are learning to cook ribs. I mean, salt+pepper+one other element (granulated garlic maybe) and nothing else. It will allow you to focus on learning the texture and feel of the meat and you do not have to worry about other stuff.

I might agree with you in an hour. Let's see how these turn out!

Smoothsmoke
03-16-2010, 08:25 PM
Waiting for the pron!!!!!!!!!!

CUTigerQ
03-16-2010, 08:32 PM
about an hour left...pron coming.

devious
03-16-2010, 08:45 PM
i need me some rib pron!!!:mad2:

sdb25
03-16-2010, 08:53 PM
I'm gettin ready to post my own pictures!

CUTigerQ
03-16-2010, 09:42 PM
OVERCOOKED...but DAMN they taste AWESOME!

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz61/MariettaSmoker/BBQ/photo-12.jpg

Philly-QueMaster
03-16-2010, 09:44 PM
OVERCOOKED...but DAMN they taste AWESOME!

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz61/MariettaSmoker/BBQ/photo-12.jpg

They still look like they tasted good. What do you think happened?? Foil too long, just too long in general?

landarc
03-16-2010, 09:48 PM
Looks good, too bad about the over-cooked, but, taste and eating is what matters.

Peteg
03-16-2010, 09:49 PM
That looks great man, nice color on those.

CUTigerQ
03-16-2010, 10:03 PM
They still look like they tasted good. What do you think happened?? Foil too long, just too long in general?

Foil got me, I think. I would never win a danged thing with these, but the taste was so sweet and that is due to the 3-2-1. The rub combined with the brown sugar, honey and butter was simply Heavenly tasting. I am SO happy with how they turned out. Now I gotta figure out how to NOT overcook them. :doh::clap2::clap2:

landarc
03-16-2010, 10:05 PM
Less time on Twitter?

CUTigerQ
03-16-2010, 10:07 PM
or less Evan Williams in my glass. Gonna stick to beer when I smoke from now on.

Philly-QueMaster
03-16-2010, 10:13 PM
Maybe less time in foil....3-1-1??

CUTigerQ
03-16-2010, 10:16 PM
yeah...im going for 3-1-1 next time.

Kevin
03-16-2010, 10:16 PM
They look purty fine to me. I did the foil wrap with honey, brown sugar, onion powder, Cholula, and blue bottle Parkay last Sunday. The flavor was impressive. I'm gonna work on it some more.

sdb25
03-16-2010, 11:39 PM
ONE PICTURE? After all that, ONE PICTURE??? How disappointing. Only thing I can tell from that picture is that you need a sharper knife! We wanna see how your st. louis cut looks, and your smoke ring, and all that good stuff.

And, how were they overdone? Too tender? What was the bend like when you took them outta the foil? If they were already bending well then, maybe you shouldn't have put them on for an additional hour.

You should really try the 3-2-1 method again, and keep that drum at 225. I do it the same ever time, and I have NEVER had them turn out anything but perfect in texture. Really, I would try this or try it exactly the same next time. Just test the bend when it comes outta the foil.

Dave Russell
03-17-2010, 07:30 AM

Just felt this needed a big AMEN!!!:thumb:

Saiko
03-17-2010, 07:46 AM

I use the "3-1-Till Done" method and it never fails me on St. Louis ribs. 3 hours on smoke, 1 hour in foil, then back on the smoke until they are done. That could be an hour, it could be 2+ depending on your temps and the meat.
Use the "bend test" starting about an hour after you pull from the foil, then every 20-30 minutes after. Lift a slab with a pair of tongs (or you could use whatever massive gloves the guy is wearing below). The rack should easily flop over at 90 degrees as shown in the image. When you get the 90 degree flop, they are done. Don't go by time or temps.

http://www.slamdunkpro.com/Resources/ribs-flex.jpg

bigabyte
03-17-2010, 09:39 AM
I don't know how I missed this thread yesterday.:doh: They look overdone in that shot for sure, but still very hittable. That is a great pic above showing the bend test.:clap: Billy Bones Wall always had a little saying about how to check the ribs when picking them up like in the photo above, wish I could remember it exactly... it was something like, if your meat's pointing at your neighbor then put it back in, if it's pointing at your feet then you're all done, or something like that. Oh well, maybe someone else will remember. I always loved that saying.

Dave Russell
03-17-2010, 10:29 AM

I'm not a "foiler", but from what I've learned from cooking ribs in the drum with AND without a HEAT DIFFUSER:

Cooking direct at 200-225: DONE in around four hours, and I'd suggest they need to be flipped, at least every hour unless you want them to get real dark (Foil at three hours? Nope... too late to mess with it.)

Cooking indirect with a Brinkman water smoker charcoal pan diffuser:
Cook pretty much like you would in any other smoker, typically at least a six hour cook, unless spares are real light.

Yep, cooking direct in the drum has made that big a diffence in my rib cooks, and I just checked out my cooking journal to make sure.

Dave
uds, wsm, wots, wsj, char-griller

CUTigerQ
03-17-2010, 10:37 AM
ONE PICTURE? After all that, ONE PICTURE??? How disappointing. Only thing I can tell from that picture is that you need a sharper knife! We wanna see how your st. louis cut looks, and your smoke ring, and all that good stuff.

And, how were they overdone? Too tender? What was the bend like when you took them outta the foil? If they were already bending well then, maybe you shouldn't have put them on for an additional hour.

You should really try the 3-2-1 method again, and keep that drum at 225. I do it the same ever time, and I have NEVER had them turn out anything but perfect in texture. Really, I would try this or try it exactly the same next time. Just test the bend when it comes outta the foil.

Sorry I only had the one picture...we were so hungry once I pulled them that I didnt get much of a chance to take more. As for why I know that they were overcooked...well, lets just say the bones fell out when I picked it up with the tongs and the slab broke in half. BOTH of them. So, yeah, they were overcooked...

BUT This was such an improvement over even the taste from the last time that I am now not intimidated to put ribs back on the smoker again. i just need to tweak what Im doing and I should be golden! And I WILL try the 3-2-1 method again. It works for everyone else, it should work for me as well. I just need to watch what im doing a little closer, I think.

OVERALL, Im happy with the taste of these ribs.

hath
03-17-2010, 10:37 AM
Less time on Twitter?

lol funny