PDA

View Full Version : Chicken & Cornish Hens Question Thread!

Derek
03-16-2010, 08:45 AM
I'm going to do a small chicken & a Cornish hen at the same time.

And I would like to know the cooking time and the Internal temps for both with out a salt brine bath?

( Remember I'm not allowed to eat salt )

Ron_L
03-16-2010, 09:20 AM
I pull my chickens at 155 - 160 in the breast and 165 in the thigh and let it rest before carving. The internal temp will rise by a few degrees during the rest. If you are doing the chicken whole you can put ice on the breast before cooking to keep the breast cooler than the leg/thigh so they finish at about the same time.

Cooking time is very dependent on pit temperature. I'm not a fan of cooking chicken low and slow. I like the skin much better at higher temps. I normally cook chicken at 325 to 350. I think 20 minutes per pound for whole chickens is a decent starting point.

BTW, you can try to inject the bird with low sodium chicken broth (or make your own so you control the sodium) in order to help with the moisture in the finished product. You can also include flavor in the broth if you want to.

Derek
03-16-2010, 09:23 AM
I pull my chickens at 155 - 160 in the breast and 165 in the thigh and let it rest before carving. The internal temp will rise by a few degrees during the rest. If you are doing the chicken whole you can put ice on the breast before cooking to keep the breast cooler than the leg/thigh so they finish at about the same time.

Cooking time is very dependent on pit temperature. I'm not a fan of cooking chicken low and slow. I like the skin much better at higher temps. I normally cook chicken at 325 to 350. I think 20 minutes per pound for whole chickens is a decent starting point.Thank you Ron for the advice mate.

Every time we do the chicken or the hen in the oven at the temps you do it turns out dry and tasteless. This why we will smoke it and if it turns out nasty then we will oven bake it the normal way!

deguerre
03-16-2010, 09:32 AM
In the oven I've always roasted my chickens foil covered in a pan and let it brown for the last 20 minutes or so unfoiled til done in the oven. Never had a dry one unless um, sauce was involved, and time was forgotten. I have not yet smoked one whole so I'm looking forward to your cook!

Derek
03-16-2010, 09:37 AM
In the oven I've always roasted my chickens foil covered in a pan and let it brown for the last 20 minutes or so unfoiled til done in the oven. Never had a dry one unless um, sauce was involved, and time was forgotten. I have not yet smoked one whole so I'm looking forward to your cook!Thank you Degurre, I'll post pictures of the cook as soon as I start it.