PDA

View Full Version : Pear tree wood?

Kevin Garceau
03-16-2010, 06:43 AM
Guy that works for me, brought me a whole trunkfull of pear tree wood he cut down a couple years ago.

I havent heard many people using it, but thinking its gotta be pretty similar to apple wood.

Anyone use it, any issues with it?

Phubar
03-16-2010, 06:55 AM
Never used it before but I think it's similair to apple as you said.
Nice score!

Smokin' D
03-16-2010, 07:02 AM
I have a couple of pear trees and an apple tree on my little plot of land. They are very similar in their smoking traits. My simple palate cannot tell a difference, although there is most certainly a subtle difference.

bigabyte
03-16-2010, 07:43 AM
Pear is an excellent smoking wood, even the non-fruit bearing ones like a Bradford pear can be used for smoking.

Ribbin' Randy
03-16-2010, 07:51 AM
...even the non-fruit bearing ones like a Bradford pear can be used for smoking.

Now you tell me, I had a huge bradford blow over a couple of years ago and I paid a guy $200 just to haul it off!:mad: It's good to know though, It seem like every time we get some good winds, somebody in my neighborhood is loosing a Bradford Pear. Thanks for the info.

bigabyte
03-16-2010, 08:01 AM
Now you tell me, I had a huge bradford blow over a couple of years ago and I paid a guy $200 just to haul it off!:mad: It's good to know though, It seem like every time we get some good winds, somebody in my neighborhood is loosing a Bradford Pear. Thanks for the info.
Same things here, threw it out thinking it was no good, and a few months later someone asked and sure a chit, people I TRUST answered it is fine to use. Go figure, a soft tree that breaks if you look at it funny, and does not produce fruit/nuts...

If you think about it though...maple is a smoking wood, and produces no fruits/nuts. Just food for thought.

jemezspring
03-16-2010, 08:09 AM
Only way to really know is to try it.
I have an old dead bartlett that I used for smoking and each time I used it the meat turned out very dark and bitter. Its been dead for over 5 years but a 6 foot stump still remains and thats what I used.
Give it a try it's free.

Phubar
03-16-2010, 09:01 AM
....even the non-fruit bearing ones like a Bradford pear can be used for smoking.

Thanks!
Didn't knew that!