PDA

View Full Version : Follow Up: Kiwi Knives (pic)

PatioDaddio
03-15-2010, 11:19 PM
Back in January I wrote about my discovery of Kiwi knives (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1140775&postcount=48) from Thailand.
Well, I've been using them diligently for a little more than two months, so I
thought I'd post a follow up.

http://www.patiodaddiobbq.com/images/food/salsa/CantelopeProsSalsa_1_4.jpg

http://www.patiodaddiobbq.com/images/stuff/KiwiKnives_1_2.jpg

In the original post I described them as "like razor blades with handles",
and they are definitely that. I've found that, with regular maintenance from
a steel, they hold an edge amazingly well for such a thin blade.

As I mentioned in my discussion on the BBQ Central Radio podcast (http://www.patiodaddiobbq.com/2010/01/bbq-central-radio-take-five.html), these
knives are serious prep machines. The thin, light, and flexible blades make
prep work all but effortless. In fact, I often find myself reaching for them
rather than my Global or Wusthof knives. They are just a joy to use.

At two months in, I can say that you really can't go wrong with these;
especially at such an insanely low price.

-----

John

Midnight Smoke
03-15-2010, 11:20 PM
Bought time on the review :) Guess I am checking into some. Thanks!

tommykendall
03-15-2010, 11:25 PM
Hope you're not eating any metal in your food :wink:

Kidding aside I'll probably end up buying a couple. You've provided great insight into the knives.

KnucklHed BBQ
03-15-2010, 11:44 PM
Plan on grabbing a few for using at comps this year.

Thanks for the review!!

PatioDaddio
03-15-2010, 11:46 PM
Plan on grabbing a few for using at comps this year.

Thanks for the review!!The paring knife preps chicken almost on its own. :wink:

John

btcg
03-15-2010, 11:54 PM
Back in January I wrote about my discovery of Kiwi knives (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1140775&postcount=48) from Thailand.
Well, I've been using them diligently for a little more than two months, so I
thought I'd post a follow up.

http://www.patiodaddiobbq.com/images/food/salsa/CantelopeProsSalsa_1_4.jpg

http://www.patiodaddiobbq.com/images/stuff/KiwiKnives_1_2.jpg

In the original post I described them as "like razor blades with handles",
and they are definitely that. I've found that, with regular maintenance from
a steel, they hold an edge amazingly well for such a thin blade.

As I mentioned in my discussion on the BBQ Central Radio podcast (http://www.patiodaddiobbq.com/2010/01/bbq-central-radio-take-five.html), these
knives are serious prep machines. The thin, light, and flexible blades make
prep work all but effortless. In fact, I often find myself reaching for them
rather than my Global or Wusthof knives. They are just a joy to use.

At two months in, I can say that you really can't go wrong with these;
especially at such an insanely low price.

-----

John

Just ordered em:

Name Code Qty Each Options
-----------------------------------------------------------
Kiwi knife - 12 inch x 3 None 1 6.95
inch
Kiwi knife - 11 inch x 2 None 1 4.95
inch, blunt end
Kiwi knife - 11 inch x 2 None 1 4.95
inch, pointed end
Kiwi knife - 7.5 inch x 1 None 1 2.95
inch
Kiwi knife - 13.5 inch x None 1 14.95
4 inch
Kiwi knife - 12 inch x None 1 9.95
2-1/2 inch
Subtotal 44.70
Shipping 9.10
Tax 0.00
Total 53.80

Heck of a deal!

hath
03-16-2010, 12:03 AM
I bought 3 of them after your first review.. I like them a lot so far...

CaptainJimmy
03-16-2010, 12:33 AM
i bought a few of these on a recommendation (might have been yours) on the BGE board...

these knives hold an edge incredibly...with a couple quick wacks on the steel they are back to razor sharp.

the only drawback is the lack of a full tang, however that gives the blades some flexibility which is NOT necessarily a bad thing. I whiz through onions like no ones business... my henckels stays in the block now, i hate it.

PatioDaddio
03-16-2010, 10:23 AM
i bought a few of these on a recommendation (might have been yours) on the BGE board...

these knives hold an edge incredibly...with a couple quick wacks on the steel they are back to razor sharp.

the only drawback is the lack of a full tang, however that gives the blades some flexibility which is NOT necessarily a bad thing. I whiz through onions like no ones business... my henckels stays in the block now, i hate it.Yep, that's my experience. They are simply marvelous at vegetable prep.

John

Rowdycue
03-16-2010, 11:11 AM
Thanks for reminding me of these knives,Daddio. I just placed an order. I am a knife nut and these sounded very useful. I like the cutting ability of thin blades.:thumb:

Boar
03-16-2010, 12:24 PM
Thanks Patio. I just placed an order for the Blunt Meat Knife, Paring Knife, and the Japanese Wooden Knife w/sheath.

anamosity
03-16-2010, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the follow up. I will be placing an order soon,

imfree2q
03-16-2010, 01:23 PM
Just placed my order.. Got the plastic handles tho.. Thanks John..

ique
03-16-2010, 01:29 PM
I bought a couple about a month ago. Gotta agree, these knives rock.

PatioDaddio
03-16-2010, 01:30 PM
FYI - The plastic-handled version can be had here (http://importfood.com/thai_knives.html).

John

imfree2q
03-16-2010, 01:32 PM
FYI - The plastic-handled version can be had here (http://importfood.com/thai_knives.html).

John

Yep thats where I got mine!!

Critter Done --- BBQ4U !!
03-16-2010, 02:25 PM
I read your post in January and just never got around to ordering . Thanks for reminding me with the update. I'll be ordering this evening !
" He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins "

AJP
03-16-2010, 03:55 PM
Heck with it I bought a few to add to the knife set.

Kiwi knife - 11 inch x 2 inch, pointed end
Kiwi knife - 7.5 inch x 1 inch

$12.90 total with shipping

Boshizzle
03-16-2010, 05:34 PM
I picked up three of them a while back and they are still going strong. My wife asked me to get her a set, so I will be ordering a few more.

Phesant
03-16-2010, 05:51 PM
I've been wanting a larger cleaver .... so I ordered the 13.5 x 4 today .... I've ordered other knives from the wokshop before.... always worked for me....

Cliff H.
03-16-2010, 06:03 PM
I shot the lock off my safe and bought three knives for $22.50. Thanks for the review.

Sunra
03-16-2010, 06:16 PM
My order is in!
Kiwi knife - 12 inch x 3 large with blunt end 1 6.95
Kiwi knife - 7.5 inch x 1 paring knife 1 2.95
shipping $5.00
Total $14.90

When I ordered the knives the woman who took the order asked if there was something going on? She said she got numerous orders for the blunt end knife. I told her there was a write on the at the BBQ-Brethren website :)

PatioDaddio
03-16-2010, 06:17 PM
Man, y'all are going to buy them all up! :-D

John

anamosity
03-17-2010, 07:16 PM
Order placed, looking forward to them arriving.

Sunra
03-18-2010, 01:15 PM
Placed my order on Tuesday March 16th They just arrived today Thursday March 18th. That was quick! These things are really sharp.

PatioDaddio
03-18-2010, 01:18 PM
Keep one in the bathroom in case you run out of razors. :-D

John

Sunra
03-18-2010, 01:28 PM
Keep one in the bathroom in case you run out of razors. :-D

John
U ain't wrong! I was able to shave hair off my arm. :shock:

AJP
03-18-2010, 01:49 PM
Just got mine today as well, these suckers are super sharp.

btcg
03-18-2010, 02:47 PM
Haven't gotten mine yet. Maybe today!

imfree2q
03-18-2010, 04:00 PM
Pulled the trigger Tuesday, got my set today.. $40.00 Seems like they will do the job It was a little cheaper to buy the set price so thats what I did.. Thanks for the heads up John!!

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=38712&stc=1&d=1268945870

devious
03-18-2010, 05:52 PM
man! i got mine today and these suckers are sharp!:shock:

btcg
03-23-2010, 03:38 PM
Mine arrived today, I bought all 6.

My knifes/cleavers are different: they all have wooden handles. No problem with that, they'll just never see the dishwasher.

I got a bonus too: a wooden mixing spoon and a bamboo adjustable back scratcher.

PatioDaddio
03-23-2010, 03:40 PM
Sharp, eh? I now have all of their knives and cleavers as well.

John

btcg
03-23-2010, 03:41 PM

John

Did you get the bonus items too?

bam
03-23-2010, 04:39 PM
Thanks for bringing this up again. Think I'll pull the trigger this time. Less than 50 bucks for 6 knives not a bad deal. :clap2:

btcg
03-23-2010, 05:04 PM

John

Okay, so what block holds them? Anyone?

boatnut
03-23-2010, 05:52 PM
Okay, so what block holds them? Anyone?

use a magnetic strip!!!

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=magnet+knife+rack&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=4341820209&ref=pd_sl_8jqu0ts3n_b

cbagby64
03-23-2010, 07:07 PM
I picked up 3 of them are happy with them so far. The back scratcher on the other hand is worthless.... :-D

PatioDaddio
03-23-2010, 08:56 PM
use a magnetic strip!!!

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=magnet+knife+rack&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=4341820209&ref=pd_sl_8jqu0ts3n_bExactly! That's what I am using. Mine is from Ikea.

John

Smoke & Beers
03-24-2010, 09:21 AM
I bought 6 of em last night...I hope you farkers didn't run them out of stock :shock:

btcg
03-24-2010, 09:27 AM
I bought 6 of em last night...I hope you farkers didn't run them out of stock :shock:

If they're the wooden handle type, it's going to be 7 days before you get em. But they're worth the wait! Great cleavers/knifes.

The wooden spoon (freebie) ain't bad, either. And, I like the back scratcher. Open it fully, twist to the right, and it'll stay locked for use.

bendosia
03-25-2010, 08:22 AM
I ordered a meat cleaver and the thai kiwi set. Already got the meat cleaver, but still waiting on the knives. Since I'm a relative noob to these kinda knives, what are the purposes of each of the different knives (besides cutting stuff of course)?
For example, paring knife is used for what exactly? What's the use of the 11" knife with a blunt end, as opposed to pointed end?

boatnut
03-25-2010, 08:52 AM
I ordered a meat cleaver and the thai kiwi set. Already got the meat cleaver, but still waiting on the knives. Since I'm a relative noob to these kinda knives, what are the purposes of each of the different knives (besides cutting stuff of course)?
For example, paring knife is used for what exactly? What's the use of the 11" knife with a blunt end, as opposed to pointed end?

Mine came with instructions.........alas, it was all written in Thai- anese though :(

Bigdog
03-25-2010, 09:15 AM
I take it that the plastic handle ones are dishwasher safe?

Cliff H.
03-25-2010, 09:22 AM
The thin blade on the pairing knife made spares ribs into St Louis cut with little effort.

What I like about these knives besides the price is that they have helped me to overcome my knife sharpening disability. I have yet to use a steel that didn't leave the edge virtually useless.

I hit the pairing knife a couple of times with a steel and it was sharp again.

Brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it.

imfree2q
03-25-2010, 09:25 AM
I take it that the plastic handle ones are dishwasher safe?

Yes dishwasher safe.... The plastic handles are easer to clean.. I dont put any of my good knives in the dishwasher tho..

PatioDaddio
03-25-2010, 10:49 AM
FYI - The fine folks at The Wok Shop are trying to track down a source for the plastic-handled versions. I will report back if I hear anything.

John

BluesDaddy
03-25-2010, 12:58 PM
You guys are going to cost me money! :-P Just pulled the trigger on three knives - $17.95 total!

cdollar
03-25-2010, 01:25 PM
Here's the deal on dishwashers and knives. Aside from the banging around in the machine, there is a more insidious and less obvious process at work in there.

Dishwashers use highly alkaline and caustic chemicals to clean dishes. This combined with the high heat really is detrimental to the very thin cutting edge of the knives and will actually etch the metal.

Have you looked at a clear glass that has been washed in a dishwasher many times? Notice how the glass is frosty looking. The glass is actually etched.

If you are going to the trouble and expense to buy quality knives and sharpen them, then spend the few seconds to wash and dry them after use.

You should also never use a knife on something acidic like tomatoes or citrus and just lay it down. Always wash it immediately because the acid will attack the edge.

Remember the cutting edge is less than one thousandth of an inch across and is actually very vulnerable.

Chuck

btcg
03-25-2010, 01:29 PM
Here's the deal on dishwashers and knives. Aside from the banging around in the machine, there is a more insidious and less obvious process at work in there.

Dishwashers use highly alkaline and caustic chemicals to clean dishes. This combined with the high heat really is detrimental to the very thin cutting edge of the knives and will actually etch the metal.

Have you looked at a clear glass that has been washed in a dishwasher many times? Notice how the glass is frosty looking. The glass is actually etched.

If you are going to the trouble and expense to buy quality knives and sharpen them, then spend the few seconds to wash and dry them after use.

You should also never use a knife on something acidic like tomatoes or citrus and just lay it down. Always wash it immediately because the acid will attack the edge.

Remember the cutting edge is less than one thousandth of an inch across and is actually very vulnerable.

Chuck

Great advice man. Now I know why I can never get those clear glasses clear.

KnucklHed BBQ
03-25-2010, 02:06 PM
More than likely the "frosty glass" problem is caused by calcium deposits found in hard water. The heated water separates the calcium from the water and it deposits itself on the glass.

A good way to check to see it is mineral deposits is to take a small amount of muriatic acid and put a couple of drops on a bad glass. Give it about 30 seconds and rinse. If those spots are clear then the minerals have been removed and that is your problem.

As for corroding knives, yes and no.

A carbon steel knife will slowly corrode from dishwasher chemicals.
A SS knife is all but impervious to these chems. In fact, bleach is far more corrosive to SS than sodium hydroxide, potassium hydroxide and sodium metasilicate (most commonly used in dishwasher chems)

btcg
03-25-2010, 02:09 PM
More than likely the "frosty glass" problem is caused by calcium deposits found in hard water. The heated water separates the calcium from the water and it deposits itself on the glass.

A good way to check to see it is mineral deposits is to take a small amount of muriatic acid and put a couple of drops on a bad glass. Give it about 30 seconds and rinse. If those spots are clear then the minerals have been removed and that is your problem.

A SS knife is all but impervious to these chems. In fact, bleach is far more corrosive to SS than sodium hydroxide, potassium hydroxide and sodium metasilicate (most commonly used in dishwasher chems)

Thanks for the advice.

As to the knives, they're SS, I believe. But it's not the blades that I would worry about in the dishwasher... it's the wooden handles.

KnucklHed BBQ
03-25-2010, 02:11 PM
Yup!

imfree2q
03-25-2010, 02:21 PM
Its all ways better to hand wash your good knives. And never put a wooden handle knife in a dishwasher.. Even plastic handles will crack.. Just dont do it.. Wash by hand!!

cdollar
03-25-2010, 02:32 PM

The calcium deposits can cause a buildup, thet's true, but it's not "most likely". While you can remove the deposits with muriatic (hydrochloric) acid, or in mild cases, white vinegar, there will still be etching over a period
of time.

As far as stainless, 440c SS (typical) contains about 17% chromium and about 1% carbon. The chromium helps keep the steel from corroding because of the chromium oxide film it creates, but in a very thin cutting edge the amount of carbon steel will still corrode some. The chromium doesn't stop all corrosion.

There is no need to subject your edge to a hostile environment if you do not have to.

Chuck

btcg
03-25-2010, 02:38 PM
Its all ways better to hand wash your good knives. And never put a wooden handle knife in a dishwasher.. Even plastic handles will crack.. Just dont do it.. Wash by hand!!

I found that out the hard way, once.

Another tip: throw away that large nut inside the avocado... trying to crack it just dulls your knives, and it tastes lousy!

:heh:

sandiegobbq
09-23-2011, 08:17 AM
At that price you have me intrigued.
I ordered a few thanks for showing us these knives.

Team DD
09-27-2011, 04:35 PM
Just placed my order for four of these knives. Got 4 knives with shipping for $28. Worth a shot...

Thanks,
Doug

jerneedog
09-27-2011, 05:16 PM
I may have to get some of these too!
I have been wanting some new ones, none serrated knives.
I don't care too much for my current serrated knives all that much.

Where does one order these from? I must have missed the link?

colonel00
09-27-2011, 05:19 PM
http://www.wokshop.com/HTML/products/cleavers/thai-kiwi-knives.html

I have a couple and like them as well. For the money it's hard to not get a couple.

che22879
09-27-2011, 05:57 PM
They look like great knives!

mbshop
09-27-2011, 07:09 PM
i got mine at a chinese kitchen/hardware supply store in san francisco. maybe check yer local oriental stores.

jerneedog
09-27-2011, 07:15 PM
http://www.wokshop.com/HTML/products/cleavers/thai-kiwi-knives.html

I have a couple and like them as well. For the money it's hard to not get a couple.

Brad, thank you for the link!
I'll have to check these out for sure.

razrbakcrzy
02-22-2012, 10:14 AM
I purchased the pointed 11.5", the blunt 11.5 and the cleaver. They accidently sent me 2 pointed 11.5 " knives. I called them and explained the issue, she immediately apologized and sent me the correct one. She also ask me not to return the other knife as the shipping would be more than the cost of the knife. I think this is amazing customer service. She called me atleast 3 times and sent several emails to apologize and to make sure I got the correct knife. You do not find customer service like this everyday in the country any more...

The wok shop will get more of my business in the future....and Mrs. Tane Chan is a quality person...

PatioDaddio
02-22-2012, 10:18 AM
I agree, Tane is great indeed! Did she throw in a back scratcher?

So, what do think of the knives so far?

John

razrbakcrzy
02-22-2012, 10:29 AM
I agree, Tane is great indeed! Did she throw in a back scratcher?

So, what do think of the knives so far?

John

They are as sharp as razors and I really enjoy using them. They fit my hand as well as my $200 titanium knives. They are light and agile. it makes me feel like an idiot for throwing that money down the drain...I could have bought 30 of these an never paid to sharpend a knive again...:oops:

No back scratcher, WTH!:mmph: