PDA

View Full Version : First Brisket FAIL

cireksu
03-15-2010, 08:05 PM
Took a small flat to 195 and it wasn't quite there yet.

What do you guys cook them to? should I have gone over 200?

Think my probe could be off?

sdb25
03-15-2010, 08:13 PM
Its not about the destination, its about the journey... we need temps, times, and what you did between putting the meat on and taking it off.

Cigarbque
03-15-2010, 08:15 PM
You didn't fail you learned. Big difference. Next time insert an ice pick or an awl and when it slides right in without pressure you are there. Some big meats react differently. You can't always go by temp alone. When you think its done st it for an hour or two wrapped in a cooler. That will make a huge difference.

LMAJ
03-15-2010, 08:16 PM
Give us a little more info - not sure what you mean byt not quite there? To dty? Not tender?
Did you cook it to 195 then take it right off and slice it? Did you let it rest for a while? What temp did you cook it at?
I usually cook at around 230ish, take it to 200, then wrap it in foil and throw it in a dry cooler for a few hours.

Smoke & Beers
03-15-2010, 08:36 PM
You didn't fail you learned. Big difference. Next time insert an ice pick or an awl and when it slides right in without pressure you are there. Some big meats react differently. You can't always go by temp alone. When you think its done st it for an hour or two wrapped in a cooler. That will make a huge difference.

Cire...what Cigar said...
Just use your thermometer probe...when it goes in like you're stickin' it in buttah...That's it...don't worry about the temps or time.

mgwerks
03-15-2010, 08:48 PM
All good advice - the resting part is crucial, go at least an hour insulated.

landarc
03-15-2010, 08:50 PM
I will say here, I find small brisket partial flats the hardest thing to get right.

Dave Russell
03-15-2010, 09:00 PM

Didn't have time to read other guys replies, but if you had it wrapped in foil, you should've gone OVER 200. IOW, don't go by temp, just by probe poking for tenderness if wrapped in foil. If no foil was used in the latter part of the cook, I'd say the probe is off, unless you just didn't hit in the thickest part right. I know that fat pockets can mess you up in getting good temp readings as well.

JD McGee
03-15-2010, 09:07 PM
I've had good luck with flats using the high heat method...:cool: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77065&highlight=high+heat+brisket

btcg
03-15-2010, 09:23 PM

Did my first one last night... forced to do it in the oven. Cooked it 13 hrs, and took several temp readings with this meat fork w/built in thermometer (got it @ Sharper Image). Pulled it @ 194 degrees: it was amazing. Didn't let it sit, and didn't need to.

From what I understand, the process that occurs between 180-190 degrees is crucial, and the difference between rubber and perfection.

cireksu
03-15-2010, 10:19 PM
After thinking about it I should have left in on a little longer. I foiled to hurry it and didn't give it long enough.

It was close, the edges were good, the center just wasn't there yet.

It was juicy, nice bark just not melt in your mouth.

sdb25
03-15-2010, 10:22 PM
Its not about the destination, its about the journey... we need temps, times, and what you did between putting the meat on and taking it off.

would love to help...:-P

bigabyte
03-15-2010, 10:24 PM
I think you got some good advice here. I have never had a tough that was tough from being overcooked, only from being undercooked.

landarc
03-15-2010, 10:55 PM
Ooo, I have, I have, but, it is hard to do.

btcg
03-15-2010, 10:56 PM
I think you need a 2nd thermometer... the first one can't be trusted.

AND... stick it all the way in through the side of the butt, and count to 20 seconds, then read it.

michiana mark
03-16-2010, 01:48 AM
After thinking about it I should have left in on a little longer. I foiled to hurry it and didn't give it long enough.

It was close, the edges were good, the center just wasn't there yet.

It was juicy, nice bark just not melt in your mouth.

Any off brand thermo I always check in boiling water. Water boils at or near 212 degrees, give or take depending on your altitude. I check new therms before I use them. quite amazing how far off some can be.

Ribbin' Randy
03-16-2010, 08:27 AM
You didn't fail. There is a story that goes "Thomas Edison failed more than 1,000 times when trying to create the light bulb". When asked about it, Edison said, "I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb.":idea: