PDA

View Full Version : Best Smoker for around $1000???

bproffer
03-15-2010, 02:34 PM
If one had around $1000 to spend on a new smoker, what would you recommend?

I have an old Traeger BBQ 075 that is in a state of dis-repair, and a few weber grills.

So what would you get and why?

BGE?

A newer Traeger?

Stick Burner?

Thanks!

thomasjurisd
03-15-2010, 02:39 PM
Personally I've always wanted a Lyfe Tyme horizontal stick burner but they start in the $1200 range I think. Great pits made in Uvalde, Texas and will hold up a life time!

kickassbbq
03-15-2010, 02:39 PM
All three!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bigmista
03-15-2010, 02:52 PM
10 UDS's or 5 WSM's. Everything else is either over or under.

Ron_L
03-15-2010, 02:56 PM

That's not really answering the question, Mista :-D

Tell us more about what you are going to do with it, bproffer. Is it for backyard or competition? How many people will you feed? Do you want to just smoke or will you be grilling and baking, too?

You may not have to spend anywhere near $1000 depending on your goals.

btcg
03-15-2010, 03:04 PM
Personally I've always wanted a Lyfe Tyme horizontal stick burner but they start in the $1200 range I think. Great pits made in Uvalde, Texas and will hold up a life time!

Thanks for that info. I just e-mailed them for info on prices and availability. They look like a real quality product.

early mornin' smokin'
03-15-2010, 03:15 PM
Id get an xl BGE

Capn Kev
03-15-2010, 03:17 PM
Check out Green Mountain grills: There's one right around that price range...I've heard nothing but good feedback so far.

http://www.greenmountaingrills.com/

thomasjurisd
03-15-2010, 03:39 PM
Thanks for that info. I just e-mailed them for info on prices and availability. They look like a real quality product.

You're welcome. I found some prices through an online retailer:
http://www.trampolinesales.com/bbqsmokers.htm

It looks like for less that $1000 you can get a nice sized horizontal offset. The shipping is what will get you @ about $500 but if you can pick it up...it will save.

btcg
03-15-2010, 03:48 PM
You're welcome. I found some prices through an online retailer:
http://www.trampolinesales.com/bbqsmokers.htm

It looks like for less that $1000 you can get a nice sized horizontal offset. The shipping is what will get you @ about $500 but if you can pick it up...it will save.

A trip to Texas might be fun. Are you sure they'll let people pick it up themselves?

kickassbbq
03-15-2010, 03:59 PM
Forget my response!!!

I am gonna go with the Ron L Man on this one!!!!

snoqualmiesmoker
03-15-2010, 04:03 PM
XL BGE or a Primo XL.

BBQchef33
03-15-2010, 04:08 PM
I second RonL.... Whats it going ot be used for? Stayin in the backyard only? Using it for comps? Big crowds? Just family and friends?

I'd be leaning towards the XL BGE if its just yard and family/friends type stuff... but for really big crowds, or competition, the capacity is limited and moving towards a Stckburner may be in order.. a used bandera or new cmoke king has good capacity, and will leave you money for a couple WSMS to boot.

bproffer
03-15-2010, 04:13 PM
I dont do comps, so mainly backyard stuff for family and friends. I would say up to 20-25 people max if I was throwing a party or smoking something for a church gathering. I have 2 webers that I use for grilling, but I am not opposed to something that can do both.

thomasjurisd
03-15-2010, 04:16 PM
A trip to Texas might be fun. Are you sure they'll let people pick it up themselves?

That's what is says on their website. If you click on the grill is shows the price and farther down the shipping...then it goes on to say that local pickup is available to save the shipping cost.

You may be able to buy direct from LyfeTyme and pickup in Uvalde if you're coming to Texas anyway. Would be a nice vacation..not far from the Frio River and Garner State Park. Leakey is also a nice little town not far from there.

btcg
03-15-2010, 04:25 PM
That's what is says on their website. If you click on the grill is shows the price and farther down the shipping...then it goes on to say that local pickup is available to save the shipping cost.

You may be able to buy direct from LyfeTyme and pickup in Uvalde if you're coming to Texas anyway. Would be a nice vacation..not far from the Frio River and Garner State Park. Leakey is also a nice little town not far from there.

Just heard from LyfeTyme, and they want $1263.00 for shipping & handling to Maryland. OUCH!

Think a trip to Texas is in my future if I decide to buy this.

Thank you, again!

Lakeside Smoker
03-15-2010, 04:29 PM
I dont do comps, so mainly backyard stuff for family and friends. I would say up to 20-25 people max if I was throwing a party or smoking something for a church gathering. I have 2 webers that I use for grilling, but I am not opposed to something that can do both.

Sounds like a 22" WSM might work out well for you. I think they cost around $400.

Ron_L
03-15-2010, 04:49 PM

Sounds like a 22" WSM might work out well for you. I think they cost around $400.

I agree with Lakeside. Unless you are determined to spend $1000, a 22.5" WSM would fit the bill. You could easily cook several butts in there that would feed 25 people. Or you could do a couple of briskets and a couple of butts, or ribs and butts or ribs and briskets or ???

Also, if you are handy you could build a UDS that would hold as much food.

If you want something bigger or more expensive an offset like the Lifetyme mentioned would be a good choice. Also, The Horizon 20" Classic (http://www.horizonbbqsmokersstore.com/servlet/the-376/20%22-Classic-Backyard-Smoker/Detail) is right at $1000.

Shiz-Nit
03-15-2010, 05:05 PM
BIG GREEN EGG, BIG GREEN EGG!! BIG GREEN EGG!!!!! is the way to go man.

fttom
03-15-2010, 05:23 PM
I sure would take a good hard look at the "The Good One". I had an BGE and a Traeger and a Cookshack, and I still believe The Good One is by far the best. You just cant beat a true pit flavor.

WineMaster
03-15-2010, 05:31 PM
WSM 22 inch and a Freezer FULL of meat for $ 1000

Rich Parker
03-15-2010, 05:32 PM

Dayum - As soon as I read the title I was hoping I was the first one to recommend a UDS.:decision:

MushCreek
03-15-2010, 05:50 PM
A UDS, and $950 worth of beer!

bproffer
03-15-2010, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the responses. I have already built a UDS.

Here is what I have:

22.5" Weber performer (craigslist find)
22.5" Weber kettle
Traeger BBQ 075 (craigslist find in disrepair)
UDS
Char-Griller offset (old and crusty)

I built the UDS last summer, and the food had a funky taste to it. I may not have burned it out and cleaned it well enough. Since then, it has set in the corner of the yard, getting full of water. I'll probabbly build another this summer, but take more care in the build.

I plan on restoring the Traeger. The Auger is stuck from wet pellets and the motor and fan crapped out. It is also rusty and needs an over haul. I dont like that it is an older traeger and doesnt have the grease drain, but I think I could modify it to make my own drain.

I also plan to keep the 2 Webers for when I have to grill for a crowd. I may gift one or both of them to a family member once I get a Santa Maria style grill, but that is down the line.

The Char-Griller is going to be Craigslist fodder.

My wife is tired of looking at everything and thinks I have way too many grills. (I know, ditch the wife, right?) If I could get something like a BGE that can pull double duty as a grill and a smoker, I could thin the heard a little.

What I really need, to keep the wife happy, is something that looks nice and does a great job cooking. We have a small patio area and it always looks cluttered with everything else.

Looks like I have some soul searching to do to see what I really need and really want. Thanks again for all the responses.

jagardn
03-15-2010, 08:11 PM
XL BGE or a Primo XL.

X2!!
Well I'd personally go with the Primo XL....but I'm biased.:mrgreen:

mgwerks
03-15-2010, 08:47 PM
First of all, let me know if you're coming to Texas, and we'll grab some Q - Uvalde is jsut down the road from me!

Second, for a grand you could feed 2 people or a small church full. Two WSM 22's (wait for the Amazon sale and get free shipping) and a Stoker to run it all!

Saiko
03-15-2010, 08:50 PM
Second, for a grand you could feed 2 people or a small church full. Two WSM 22's (wait for the Amazon sale and get free shipping) and a Stoker to run it all!

I was about to say the same thing. Although if the wifey is worried about clutter (and the max you are going to cook for is 25), I'd go with a single 22" WSM and a stoker with one blower and 2 food probes.

JD McGee
03-15-2010, 09:04 PM
All very good suggestions...personally I would go with the BGE or Primo for their versatility...:cool:

btcg
03-15-2010, 09:10 PM
First of all, let me know if you're coming to Texas, and we'll grab some Q - Uvalde is jsut down the road from me!

Sounds good!

JiveTurkey
03-16-2010, 12:00 AM
If I had $1000 I'd save up a little more and get a Lang! Someday JT.... someday baby!

MEAT
03-16-2010, 12:22 AM
Staying on topic...is there anyone in California that builds a decent pit/smoker
for roughly $1000?

billm
03-16-2010, 07:55 AM
id try and dig up another 500 and snag a Backwoods..used or otherwise

Q-Stream
03-16-2010, 10:31 AM
I think the BW Chubby is currently listing for $845. I don't own one, so I can't recommend it, but it has a fair amount of rack space, seems to have some happy owners, and fits the budget.

chambersuac
03-16-2010, 10:35 AM

I used to live in Uvalde. I haven't cooked on a LyfeTyme, but I've looked at them. They are solid - and I believe that they would last forever. You can also take a short trip up to San Antonio, while you're in the area. :thumb:

jpayne22
03-16-2010, 11:02 AM
Stumps has a nice backyard smoker although on their website it starts at 1200. Looks like a well built smoker.

CrackerJack from KC
03-16-2010, 11:05 AM
So I just went through what you are going through. I looked at the Backwoods, Spicewine, Horizon, Yoder, OKie Joes, BGE, etc, but ended up with the WSM 22" because I needed capacity, and the lower ends of each of those didn't have that.

If you are cooking for 25 or less, I would recommend the 18" version of the WSM because it uses way less charcoal. If you are going to do multiple slabs of ribs and don't want to cut them, then you may want the 22". Either way, the Weber WSM is dollar for dollar the best smoker you can buy.

Take some of the money and buy some fun gadgets like a stoker, thermapen or buy some BBQing books or take some classes. Then use any leftover money to buy some Q and smoke it.

Bigdog
03-16-2010, 11:17 AM
These threads are always fun because there are some many different options and opinions. All that has been said is good. The choice is the hard part, but keep one thing in mind: There is no one best cooker...period. If there was, we would all have one. Think about it. The truth is that each cooker is good in certain ways. You just need to pick which one will work best for your application. That's why Ron-0 asked the question.

Now my .02:
I like the Bandera or BSKD (a.k.a. "The Queer" as my friend Scott kcquer used to call his). The beauty of these is that they are not too expensive and do a great job if you have access to wood and like stick burners. They are very versitle and have a nice capacity. I can cook easily for 20 some with it and do all the same meat or a bunch of different meats (this is the way I usually roll). :cool: This cooker is also fairly cheap, about 250, so you have lots of room in your budget. One major drawback is that they are not lifetime cookers unless you live in a mild climate and take great care of it. Mine gave me 6 good years and needs a new firebox, mostly due to the fact that I did not always keep it covered and cleaned out. :redface: They last much longer if you do.

So what ever you do, don't stress out and worry about finding the one best cooker. Instead, find the one cooker that will work best for you. :thumb:

Q-Stream
03-16-2010, 11:37 AM
So I just went through what you are going through. I looked at the Backwoods, Spicewine, Horizon, Yoder, OKie Joes, BGE, etc, but ended up with the WSM 22" because I needed capacity, and the lower ends of each of those didn't have that.

CrackerJack, I am looking at those same smokers and would like to ask you how often do you add charcoal to your 22" WSM when you are doing a butt or a brisket?

Thanks for your help.

JCT
03-16-2010, 11:47 AM
American BBQ Systems' All-star should get a look.

vertical offset. ~1200 square inches of smoking area, thick steel, ball valve, full length adjustable damper, 3 interior racks...etc etc.

gator pits look really nice too.

Spydermike72
03-16-2010, 11:52 AM
For $1000.00 I would recommend a Backwoods Chubby. You can put as much meat on the Chubby as any WSM and it is not affected by the weather at all...

Big Poppa
03-16-2010, 12:29 PM
Meadow Creek, Tiernan son of brisket, Memphis Grill advantage, backwoods chubby

kindollbbq
03-16-2010, 12:39 PM
Backwoods Chubby.....

Smaller size, quite a bit of capacity, insulated.

http://www.backwoods-smoker.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=64&Itemid=85

Brandon

btcg
03-16-2010, 12:58 PM
I used to live in Uvalde. I haven't cooked on a LyfeTyme, but I've looked at them. They are solid - and I believe that they would last forever. You can also take a short trip up to San Antonio, while you're in the area. :thumb:

Thanks, I may just do that.

fttom
03-16-2010, 01:36 PM
Check this video on The Good One smoker. These things are great......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkZGRNEBYzc

Q-Stream
03-16-2010, 01:52 PM
Please cancel my question, CrackerJack, I found this website that has loads of information on the WSM:

www.virtualweberbullet.com (http://www.virtualweberbullet.com)

1FUNVET
03-16-2010, 01:57 PM
Thanks, I may just do that.

And fill up your truck with mesquite for the ride home.:thumb:

markrvp
03-16-2010, 02:15 PM
Check this video on The Good One smoker. These things are great......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkZGRNEBYzc

What is the price on a Good One Marshall?

mgwerks
03-16-2010, 03:23 PM
The reason I suggested 2 WSMs is for the rack space and being able to run them at different temps. Cooking for a crowd, if you do chicken, ABTs, or ribs they take up room. In this way you could do several different kinds of foods at once, and at different temps.

btcg
03-16-2010, 03:31 PM
And fill up your truck with mesquite for the ride home.:thumb:

Great idea.

markrvp
03-16-2010, 03:38 PM
Okay I called and got a price on that Marshall smoker from The Good One, and it is $2499...

CrackerJack from KC
03-16-2010, 11:45 PM
CrackerJack, I am looking at those same smokers and would like to ask you how often do you add charcoal to your 22" WSM when you are doing a butt or a brisket?

Thanks for your help.

on an 18 incher I usually dont have to add any on an overnight smoke, On the 22 incher, I usually have to add at least one chimney full to the orignal amount.

blues brother
03-17-2010, 08:07 AM
Baby Stumps is a little over the budget...but it would be my choice.:clap2:

thomasjurisd
03-17-2010, 08:20 AM
I found this link today for Craigslist Houston....Lyfe Tyme $600
http://houston.craigslist.org/grd/1640885743.html

luke duke
03-17-2010, 09:49 AM
If one had around $1000 to spend on a new smoker, what would you recommend?

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76312

:-P

Crüe-B-Cüe
03-17-2010, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the responses. I have already built a UDS.

I built the UDS last summer, and the food had a funky taste to it. I may not have burned it out and cleaned it well enough. Since then, it has set in the corner of the yard, getting full of water. I'll probabbly build another this summer, but take more care in the build.

Before dropping a grand on a somker. I would spend a few a few bucks either on a pizza stone, pizza pan or a clay flower pot base and give the UDS another try. There are a lot of people that don't like the fat drip taste from cooking direct on a UDS. I am one of those people. My UDS sat unused for months because I did not like the flavor of the food. Now that I use a a heat shield, diffuser, drip pan, or whatever you want to call it - I now love my UDS.

dmprantz
03-17-2010, 11:58 AM
Here's a thought that I haven't seen mentioned. The BGE/Primo idea is novel, but consider this: Buy yourself a 22" kettle and a stoven, which will allow you to burn pellets like you currently do for long cooks, and still grill for short ones, with space some where between the L and XL Egg. I wonder if you can fit both a Stoven and a Rib-O-Lator on a kettle at the same time? If you decide you need more capacity, you can buy a 22.5" WSM down the road and use the Stoven on it from what I hear, or you can use charcoal, giving you options, and keep the kettle still for grilling. I think one of the best things would be a 22.5" WSM with a stoven for fuel, butts or brisket on the bottom rack, and ribs in a rib-o-lator on top. If I had a spare grand lying around, I might buy one. Now I'm hungry:(

dmp

jason
03-17-2010, 12:08 PM
Here is what I have:

22.5" Weber performer (craigslist find)
22.5" Weber kettle

You may want to check out the Cajun Bandit mod for your Kettles.

http://candcgrillinco.com/Our_Products.html

It basically turns your 22.5 Kettle into a 22 WSM.

dmprantz
03-17-2010, 01:38 PM
So yeah... Stoven has a kit that includes a Performer, a Stoven, and a Rotisserie option for $650. Ribolator is another $90. From there you could either buy a kit to convert your kettle to a WSM type thing, or just add a WSM. I would at least consider this for the versatillity it offers in the price range you are looking, especially considering your past with pellets.

dmp

edit: Since you already have the Webber grills, if you don't need or want to "upgrade" to a Performer, you could get just the Stoven + Rotisserie for $580, and I misread the price, it's $650 for a ots, $850 for the performer.

bproffer
03-17-2010, 05:07 PM
So yeah... Stoven has a kit that includes a Performer, a Stoven, and a Rotisserie option for $650. Ribolator is another $90. From there you could either buy a kit to convert your kettle to a WSM type thing, or just add a WSM. I would at least consider this for the versatillity it offers in the price range you are looking, especially considering your past with pellets.

dmp

edit: Since you already have the Webber grills, if you don't need or want to "upgrade" to a Performer, you could get just the Stoven + Rotisserie for $580, and I misread the price, it's $650 for a ots, $850 for the performer.

I have a 22.5" OTS and a Performer. So it looks like the Stoven would be 399.00 plus the rotisserie. My question is, I already have a Traeger that I could clean up and make work for around $200. So I dont think there would be much advantage for me buying a Stoven. Are the Stovens any better than the Traeger?

I am leaning towards getting an Egg, and then saving up for a guru or Stoker.

gtsum
03-17-2010, 08:52 PM
I have a 22.5" OTS and a Performer. So it looks like the Stoven would be 399.00 plus the rotisserie. My question is, I already have a Traeger that I could clean up and make work for around $200. So I dont think there would be much advantage for me buying a Stoven. Are the Stovens any better than the Traeger?

I am leaning towards getting an Egg, and then saving up for a guru or Stoker.

I would lean to a bge or primo if want a cooker that is versatile and will last forever. If u want tend fire and want an offset u should stretch your budget a bit because on offsets u really get what u pay for imo..bigger, heavier and well built offsets will a bit m/ore then a grand..I really liked my pitts and spitts 24x48 I had and I really liked my stumps (both well o ver a grand) but now I cook on a primo and really like it

dmprantz
03-17-2010, 09:42 PM

I have never used a Stoven, so I can't really comment on better, but I am going off of reviews. You said in an earlier post that your Traeger was beyond repair, so I was trying to find a way keep you in the pellet camp. I suggested it mainly because the versatillity vs price vs capacity of that setup looks really, really good to me. You can set and forget with either pellets or charcoal, and you get more capacity than an egg. I think eggs are great, but kinda on the pricey side. A lot of ppl point out that they are versitile, and they are, but for what they cost, I'd like a bit more space than what you get...and that's me. If you want an egg, go for it. I managed to push 50 lbs of meat through my L egg in 24 hours last month, but it took me 3 loads to do all that. It's great that we have so many options, isn't it?

dmp