PDA

View Full Version : Dickey's BBQ

pahutchens
03-15-2010, 02:05 PM
Any one heard of these folks and are they any good?
They are having an open houses for franchises in the Twin City MN area. Three slated and more to come...
( :mod: move if wrong spot for this one)

From web site >>>The original Dickey’s opened in Dallas in 1941, with a simple goal – “Serve barbecue so good people will crave it. And don’t make ‘em wait too long to get it.” <<<

We have a couple of other places opening up in town anyone else seeing more BBQ joints opening in there area?

moboy
03-15-2010, 02:23 PM
They built a Dickey's in Lebanon Missouri this year and so far has had mixed reviews. I have eaten there twice and so far have not been super impressed. Ribs and pulled pork were over cooked on both occasions. Hopefully they will improve with time.
By the way, I don't think they have a smoker on site. I was told that all the smoked food comes in cooked and they just re-heat in steam boxes .
Hope this helps

pahutchens
03-15-2010, 02:28 PM
snip> I was told that all the smoked food comes in cooked and they just re-heat in steam boxes .
Hope this helps

Thats so wrong

GreasePig
03-15-2010, 02:32 PM
Dickey's is a fairly large chain.

They are fast food BBQ so don't expect more than that.

Some people like it, I really don't but...

it is what it is!

BigdogEMT
03-15-2010, 02:36 PM
I have eaten there a few times. Its as good as you can expect from a chain store. I do like it better than the Rib Crib. And with kids eating free on Sundays (everyday in March) we find it cheap to eat out after Sunday shopping.
I almost forgot the free icecream and pickles are nice too, makes for a happy kid!

Terry

Smitty250
03-15-2010, 04:04 PM
They opened one here in Scottsdale about a year ago. I tried it once - not that great, the best thing there was the sides. Good potatoes and mac and cheese, the meat wasn't good at all.

kurtsara
03-15-2010, 04:31 PM
Me and the wife ate at the one in Maple Grove, very tender brisket but no flavor at all. I don't think we would go back.

mav
03-15-2010, 05:01 PM
there was one in sandusky OH lasted about a year and a half, was not impressed. They did have a smoker but I seldom saw it running, and when I did it was thick white smoke.

MattG
03-15-2010, 05:38 PM
Any one heard of these folks and are they any good?
They are having an open houses for franchises in the Twin City MN area. Three slated and more to come...
( :mod: move if wrong spot for this one)

From web site >>>The original Dickey’s opened in Dallas in 1941, with a simple goal – “Serve barbecue so good people will crave it. And don’t make ‘em wait too long to get it.” <<<

We have a couple of other places opening up in town anyone else seeing more BBQ joints opening in there area?

We have one in Athens GA. It is not very good. I remmember asking for brisket and it didnt taste nothing like brisket. But thats the only one that I have tried.

ozlites
03-15-2010, 07:24 PM
These are everywhere in my area (DFW) I consider them a good bbq place for the novice eater. Very bland, nothing special, nothing bad. Was the first BBQ joint I tried when I moved here...made me want to eat BBQ, but somewhere else!

RobKC
03-15-2010, 09:25 PM
They opened one here in Scottsdale about a year ago. I tried it once - not that great, the best thing there was the sides. Good potatoes and mac and cheese, the meat wasn't good at all.

Yes, the sides were pretty good, but the meat is steamed mush. The only flavor comes from the sauce. I can't see them lasting more than a year in KC.

ON THE FARM
03-15-2010, 11:07 PM
WOW, sorry yall have to put up with that junk too.
most people around my parts call it YICKEYS!!!!
From talking to an EX-manager of one, all the meat is smoked at a off site smoke house. it is then trucked in to the restaurants and heated back up.
he told me all of this at a get together earlyer this year while he was finishing his 3rd helping of my brisket and mashed potato salad!!!!!

BobBrisket
03-15-2010, 11:22 PM
Only one here...............it's getting ready to close down. NOT good. For fast food kinda stuff, it's there. Best I can say about it. Just there, actually, below, There.

Bob

mrichard
03-16-2010, 08:27 AM
Turkey is good! Wouldnt waste my money on anything else though

Sub
03-16-2010, 08:35 AM
Dickeys is fast BBQ, I don't like it at all and avoid it at all costs

I'm not saying if someone walked up to me and gave it to me for lunch as to avoid me paying for lunch somewhere else, but I wouldn't actively go out and buy it

that's about the nicest way I could put it lol

orangeblood
03-16-2010, 10:13 AM
Like Sub said "dickies is fast bbq.." its ok when your choices are other fast food joints but it isnt a good bbq place. it wouldnt rank in the top 500 bbq joints in Texas. No way.

Novass
03-17-2010, 05:46 PM
Hot links and sides only thing I ever get there

ThomEmery
03-17-2010, 09:44 PM
The smoked Turkey is good
The rest is fast food bbq
affordable lunch

bigabyte
03-17-2010, 09:54 PM
We ate at the one in KC once. It wasn't anything special. I can't remember what we got but I don't remember anything being nasty, but nothing was noteworthy either. Except the ice cream. The kids loved putting some in their drink cups and filling it with root beer and making floats. We haven't been back but the kids have asked about it of course. I don't think it's any worse that a number of other BBQ restaurant options. There are far better here in KC of course, but it sure beats Bob Evans BBQ. Actually, I've never tried the BBq at Bob Evans so I don't know!:biggrin: It beats the buffet at Golden Corral!:lol:

cdollar
03-17-2010, 09:54 PM
Dickey's is to BBQ as McDonald's is to hamburgers.

Chuck

bigabyte
03-17-2010, 09:57 PM
It beats those microwave Pork Rib Sandwiches at Quicktrip!:lol:

bigabyte
03-17-2010, 10:00 PM
A McRib is better than Dickey's though. So there you have it. It's somewhere between a Microwave Pork Rib Sandwich at Quicktrip, and a McRib.:wink:

bigabyte
03-17-2010, 10:02 PM
Oh, a BBQ Pizza from Pizza Hut is better that Dickey's also, but the BBQ Pizza is not as good as a McRib. So for the sake of clarity, it's better than the Microwave Pork Rib Sandwiches at QuickTrip, but not as good as Pizza Hut BBQ Pizza.:wink:

bigabyte
03-17-2010, 10:05 PM
Famous Dave's was better that Dickey's too. I think the BBQ Pizza at Pizza Hut might be about as good as Famous Dave's, so in case you aren't familiar with the BBQ Pizza, then Dickey's is better than the Microwave Pork Rib Sandwiches at QuickTrip (next to Da Bomb Burrito), but is not as good as Famous Daves.:wink:

Hope this helps.

bigabyte
03-17-2010, 10:07 PM
It's better than KC Masterpiece restaurant, but then again, KC Masterpiece is finally closed down.:biggrin:

NRA4Life
03-18-2010, 05:43 AM
Their food is garbage. I'd rather eat a McRib. The local one here only stayed open for about a year before closing up.

bigabyte
03-18-2010, 08:43 AM
Their food is garbage. I'd rather eat a McRib. The local one here only stayed open for about a year before closing up.
That's two who say it's not as good as a McRib.:becky:

...and I don't really like McRib, so I guess you could say I don't really like Dickey's either (stay on topic).

SteevieG
03-18-2010, 09:11 AM
We have one here near me (it's in Snellville). My wife and I went in one day. Nothing special at all. No smoker on site that I could see, either. Free Ice Cream is the best thing I can say. It was horrible, per se, just bland.

I see Myron is trying to sell Jack's Old South franchises. I wonder if they would work it the same way with the meat smoked off-site and shipped to the restaurants?

rabeb25
03-18-2010, 11:04 AM
I have eaten there twice...both times I made many many bathroom visits after.

Southern Home Boy
03-18-2010, 11:14 AM
Had one open up not too far from me in St. Louis County. Tried it once, wouldn't go back. The food is uninspired to say the least. Like so many others have already said, it's overcooked and bland.

bigabyte
03-18-2010, 11:22 AM
I'd eat there if my only other choice was Taco Bell. It's better than Taco Bell, and Taco Bell is better than those Microwave Pork Rib Sandwiches at QuickTrip. So now we have it narrowed down even further. It's somewhere between Taco Bell and Famous Daves.

pahutchens
03-18-2010, 11:42 AM
That's two who say it's not as good as a McRib.:becky:

...and I don't really like McRib, so I guess you could say I don't really like Dickey's either (stay on topic).

Thanks for the clarity and heiarchy of taste sensations

I will say your 'stay on topic' created a small flash back to the Death Star strafing run, you of course had traded in your balck helicopter, useless in space anyway, for a spiffy little X-wing fighter

bigabyte
03-18-2010, 11:53 AM
I will say your 'stay on topic' created a small flash back to the Death Star strafing run, you of course had traded in your balck helicopter, useless in space anyway, for a spiffy little X-wing fighter
Lost Tiree, lost Dutch....it came from behind(end transmission)