PDA

View Full Version : Injecting – inspecting – neglecting my pig

Wyobulldog
03-15-2010, 01:16 PM
I will be smoking a whole hog soon on my indirect heat smoker, not worried about times & temp, what I am looking for is where to inject my marinade. Realizing that soaking the pig will be impossible, and having heard that injecting does wonders, where and how much, from within or from the outside? Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks Mike

Kermits Revenge
03-15-2010, 01:22 PM
Is this for a comp or just for friends and family. If for a comp, I will let others give you advice. If for friends and family, I would rub the inside down with salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. Get a spray bottle and mix 50/50 vinegar and apple juice and spray it every hour or so until done.

Wyobulldog
03-15-2010, 02:00 PM
It is for a benefit, I heard one of the "Pit Masters" talk about injecting in 9 locations, but not where they were. I'm hoping to get some pointers on where to point the injector.

Thanks

BBQchef33
03-15-2010, 04:19 PM
Both parts of the shoulders(the butts and picnics). 4

Both parts of the hams. 2

The backstraps and centerloins(and end). 2

Belly(bacon). 1

Smokin' D
03-15-2010, 06:19 PM
"I only have one question for ya Kid. Have you ever roasted a Pig?"
Now proceed to tell me the story.

watg?
03-15-2010, 07:10 PM
and they all moved away from him there on the group W bench.....................

Chef Jim
03-15-2010, 07:26 PM

Hey, a guy has to start somewhere. :clap2:

Wyobulldog
03-15-2010, 10:10 PM

and they all moved away from him there on the group W bench.....................

Until I said "and created a nuisance"

Once in a covered pit, twice split in half to fit in the borrowed pit and I grew up watching them cooked in a commercial bread oven. Stuffed with sauerkraut, sausage and massive amounts of salt, mighty tasty if I do say so myself.

However, since my smoker has a 5-foot door I am figuring I no longer have to split it to fit. In the next 6 months, I have three whole hogs to smoke, an event & 2 weddings (1 is my daughters).

Thanks BBQChef33 for the advice,

Just remember fellows, if you are riding down a the side of a mountain road, hang on to your guitar.

Thanks again
Mike

Smokin' D
03-16-2010, 04:11 PM
But Mike, what if I don't want a pickle?

kik_start
03-16-2010, 04:23 PM
It is for a benefit, I heard one of the "Pit Masters" talk about injecting in 9 locations, but not where they were. I'm hoping to get some pointers on where to point the injector.

Thanks

in other words, you want to know where to "stick it"! Right? LOL

good luck!:clap2:

Wyobulldog
03-16-2010, 10:41 PM
But Mike, what if I don't want a pickle?

Well I sure ain't giving you a tickle.

And places to stick it is exactly what I need. Any suggestions on how much liquid I need?

Smokin' D
03-17-2010, 07:40 AM
Well, Bulldog, I've never done a whole hog just one bone in whole loin and that was injected with Mojo Criollo, as much as the meat would take. Came out wonderfully unctuous in places and a bit dry in others. First attempt. I know that's not much help to you, but on Thursday I'm going up to see Ray. I'll see what he has to say.

grillzilla10
03-17-2010, 07:47 AM
I use a 50 /50 mixture of apple juice, white grape juice ,and salt to taste. I inject as much as the pig will take , I have used 2 gallons on a 70 lb pig . I hope this helps.