PDA

View Full Version : I smoked some salmon--now what?

Rowdycue
03-15-2010, 10:54 AM
How do most of you eat it? Made into something, with a sauce, or what? I smoked 2 pounds of fillets after brining in Kosher salt and brown sugar. Sprinkled with Tsunami Spin and used apple for the smoke. It tastes pretty good but I haven't much experience with smoked salmon. It should be good with grits for breakfast. Does anyone know how to make salmon pate or any other recipes? No pictures since I don't know how to do all that technical stuff, but it looked like smoked salmon.

wildride3434
03-15-2010, 11:03 AM
smoked salmon spread;

smoked salmon
cream cheese
dill
lemon juice

sorry no quantities...mix to taste but use more salmon than anything.

scrambled eggs with a little salmon and cheese is excellent too

Rottie
03-15-2010, 11:13 AM
Last time I smoked a salmon, I had a hard time keeping it lit !!

Ron_L
03-15-2010, 11:19 AM
I like it on a cracker. The salmon spread posted above is a good choice, too!

Phubar
03-15-2010, 11:20 AM
Tagliatelle con Salmon.

Arlin_MacRae
03-15-2010, 11:21 AM
Last time I smoked a salmon, I had a hard time keeping it lit !!

Badump bump... :mod:

Cream cheese and capers on smoked salmon on a cracker. Yum.
The last new thing I ate was small phyllo dough...pockets, holders?...filled with a creamy salmon & dill mixture, then baked. MMMM

Bacchus
03-15-2010, 11:31 AM
Smoked Salmon and cream cheese on a toasted bagel half is a delicious classic.
The aforementioned Salmon spread is also great, and you can sub "Old Bay" for the dill but dont use too much.

kickassbbq
03-15-2010, 11:37 AM
Ah, Smoked Salmon Mousse!!!
PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!! http://www.kickassbbq.com/smoked_salmon_mousse.htm

deguerre
03-15-2010, 01:01 PM
smoked salmon spread;

smoked salmon
cream cheese
dill
lemon juice

sorry no quantities...mix to taste but use more salmon than anything.

scrambled eggs with a little salmon and cheese is excellent too

Add some shredded mozarella and chopped green onions to this, place wontons in a greased mini-muffin pan, stuff wontons with the mixture, sprinkle a little more mozarel on top and bake at 400 until wontons are browned a little (check after 10 minutes and again 5 to 10 minutes after that depending on your oven).

Rowdycue
03-15-2010, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the ideas,everyone. Rottie, I know what you mean about keeping it lit. I ended up with a fishy buzz.:becky:

bbqbull
03-15-2010, 02:37 PM
My wife put some into an egg omlet and it turned out great.

My favorite is to eat it with cheese crackers.

keend
03-15-2010, 03:24 PM
Salmon Dip:

Equal parts soften cream cheese, sour cream, mayo. Add flaked smoked salmon, chopped green onion, and some hot sauce. Mix all together and let sit in frig for a couple hours and eat on favorite cracker.:thumb:

vr6Cop
03-15-2010, 03:27 PM
Just don't fish lip it. :biggrin:

I just like to eat smoked salmon like a candy snack.

Northwoods Smoke
03-15-2010, 07:26 PM
The truth is that most smoked salmon is hardly worth eating. Please ship it to me and I will see that it is disposed of properly...

justjack
03-15-2010, 08:01 PM
Tagliatelle con Salmon.
Not too sure if this is the same thing, but my version is to flake smoked salmon into pasta with yoghurt or sour cream, couple cloves crushed garlic, plenty of black pepper, a sliced red chilli and some chives.
The dip is good too, the only trouble is having enough salmon left after it's been "sampled for quality".
Smoked salmon = YUM.

swamprb
03-15-2010, 09:13 PM
Smoked Salmon Pasta!

Pint of heavy cream
butter
Parm or Romano cheese
dill
nutmeg
salt & pepper

reduce cream and butter (1/4 sick) by a third, remove from heat add flaked smoked salmon, S&P, cheese, pinch of nutmeg and fresh dill to taste.
Serve over pasta of your choice. I like medium shells or rotini so the smoked salmony goodness is in every bite!

bigabyte
03-15-2010, 09:51 PM
I jsut like eating it, plain and simple. I'm kind weird like that though about some things. Other people want to make steak fajitas, I just want a steak.

Chef Jim
03-15-2010, 10:30 PM
Had mine on a salad for dinner. Not sure about the sugar thing though. That's just me.

Ol Norski
03-15-2010, 10:39 PM
Put a little of this on it:

3 Tbsp Mayonaise
1 Tbsp Chipotle Tabasco sauce (or more....to taste)
fresh lemon juice
dash of Worchestershire

In a toasted sourdough sammich with some lettuce and tomato.

An ice cold Dos Equis.

AAAAaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh.............