PDA

View Full Version : Black Smoke....Pine?

thomasjurisd
03-15-2010, 08:51 AM
Okay friends, I have a question about something curious I ran into yesterday while smoking some chickens in the Bandera.

I was using Royal Oak Lump Charcoal (USA) and HIckory mini logs sold under a brand called "Western" here in Texas at Academy sporting goods stores. Last weekend I had used the same brand's mequite and was happy with it so figured I'd give the Hickory a try. When I dumped the logs out of the bag, I noticed that a couple had bark that to me looked like Pine.... The bag also contained a few split logs with no bark but the grain of the wood looked alot like the grain on the ones with the pine-looking bark. Anyway, I got the coal going and put a couple of the nicer looking logs on, nothing but sweet blue. Then, I put on one of the split logs and started noticing some black smoke. I open the fire box lid to vent and let the log burn until the black smoke subsided...which was basically until it had been reduced to coals. Later in the smoke I warmed up one of the pieces with the off-looking bark and dropped it into the fire box...black smoke...this time I just took it out and discarded into another pit to burn off.

Two questions: 1) has anyone else had this issue with this brand? 2) Could it be that they had some pine mixed into the bag/does pine produce black smoke?

By the way...Wife said it was the best smoked chicken she had ever tasted. :clap2:

Markbb
03-15-2010, 09:11 AM
No haven't used it and if it was pine I can tell ya it wouldn't have been the best chicken you've ever eat'n....

thomasjurisd
03-15-2010, 04:52 PM
I've been searching the forums and the only other thing I have come up with is old wood?

Vince B
03-15-2010, 05:53 PM
Never use pine!

eugenius67
03-15-2010, 07:01 PM
I've noticed a few time w/ larger peices of lump it seemed like a small sap pocket would produce small amounts of black smoke on a cool fire 200-225 but burnt off rather quickly w/ no harm. Your prob sounds more serious, Definitely watch The burn, no need to waste good grub. Good luck w/ the next cook.:thumb: