PDA

View Full Version : First time Armadillo Eggs

Crazy Tex
03-14-2010, 09:49 PM
Wow.
I didn't know what I have been missing. I should put myself into the penalty box for a long time...

Jimmy Dean wrapped around a chunk of Colby Jack, onion, and jalepeno... sprinkled with rib rub, smoked, and topped with a sweet BBQ sauce...

No pics, because they were eaten so quickly...:becky: Even my friends Grandpa who is a man of few words couldn't stop talking about them. Made my day

Swineola
03-15-2010, 03:06 AM
That sounds fantastic! The Jimmy Dean is a great touch. I am glad to hear you did not use cream cheese. I think the folks who sell the cream cheese ones should be forced to do horrible things and never be allowed to eat real cheese again. Cream cheese is for bagels and cakes. :-).

Derek
03-15-2010, 07:53 AM
Wow.
I didn't know what I have been missing. I should put myself into the penalty box for a long time...

Jimmy Dean wrapped around a chunk of Colby Jack, onion, and jalepeno... sprinkled with rib rub, smoked, and topped with a sweet BBQ sauce...

No pics, because they were eaten so quickly...:becky: Even my friends Grandpa who is a man of few words couldn't stop talking about them. Made my dayMan, your so farking lucky you can try all sorts of different egg's all I got here in Mi are chicken eggs, turkey eggs.

Puppyboy
03-15-2010, 08:42 AM
Man I need to try these.

Nick@ParkAQ
03-15-2010, 12:03 PM
Sound wonderful in that clogged artery kind of way.

Ron_L
03-15-2010, 12:14 PM
Armadillo Eggs are great! Here is a classic picture from Rick's Tropical Delight out of this thread (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70525)...

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/RicksTropicalDelight/biggreenegg/appetizers/easter2007-001.jpg

Crazy Tex
04-04-2010, 08:58 PM
Just a thought here... I am going to try to mix the onion, cheese, and jalapeno all up in a food processor, roll them into the filling shape, freeze it, then when I'm ready to cook, just wrap the sausage around them and throw on the smoker.

Think that will give better flavor distribution in the middle, and they will also be consistent, meaning one person wont get a ho-hum jalapeno and someone else gets an atomic tongue burner...

Any thoughts on that process?

Nick@ParkAQ
04-05-2010, 01:36 AM
just one thought ---bland. I like to as they say taste the flavors the colors and the textures. Mixing it up you get paste. Also we don't do cheese its takes heat away:biggrin1:

grillfella
04-05-2010, 01:54 AM
Wow.

No pics, because they were eaten so quickly...:becky: Even my friends Grandpa who is a man of few words couldn't stop talking about them. Made my day
My first experience was the same with my friends an family:-D

Meatball
04-05-2010, 06:48 AM
looks good I must try that one

MikeR
04-05-2010, 09:12 AM
Love them armadillo eggs- of course the missus hates when I make them/ eat them. Something about wanting to have me around to grow old with. :rolleyes:

btcg
04-05-2010, 09:15 AM
:shock:Man, your so farking lucky you can try all sorts of different egg's all I got here in Mi are chicken eggs, turkey eggs.

btcg
04-05-2010, 09:21 AM
The sweet BBQ sauce seems like a mismatch to me... think I'll try lemon juice on top.

Ron_L
04-05-2010, 09:51 AM
The sweet BBQ sauce seems like a mismatch to me... think I'll try lemon juice on top.

I'm going to have to try that. The sweet bbq sauce is perfect to me. It compliments the saltiness of the sausage and cheese and the slight heat of the jalapeno. I'm not sure about lemon juice.

Big George's BBQ
04-05-2010, 09:55 AM
That sounds great

Crazy Tex
04-05-2010, 12:38 PM
just one thought ---bland. I like to as they say taste the flavors the colors and the textures. Mixing it up you get paste. Also we don't do cheese its takes heat away:biggrin1:

Bland? I mix plenty of onions and jalapeno's in it to be anything but bland. And I didn't mix it until it was a paste, just a chunky mixture that I could form.

I like the sweet BBQ sauce on mine, as Ron_L said, it compliments the saltiness of the sausage, at least on regular sausage... gonna try Maple sausage one of these days.

Chef Jim
04-05-2010, 12:59 PM
Another one for my to do list. If I could fine it?

btcg
04-05-2010, 03:44 PM
I'm going to have to try that. The sweet bbq sauce is perfect to me. It compliments the saltiness of the sausage and cheese and the slight heat of the jalapeno. I'm not sure about lemon juice.

Ron.

Lemon on sausage is a natural.

Here's the thing... there's this modern notion that every element of a dish must have a counter so as to balance. Many times, this works well. But not always.

In fact, I've grown tired of this technique.... and I'd say as much to a Gordon Ramsey, if he were in my kitchen. There's a lot of conventional wisdom in the KISS method.

bigabyte
04-06-2010, 09:32 PM
It's been too long since I made some of those. Gonna have to rectify that.

Nick@ParkAQ
04-07-2010, 10:28 AM
Bland? I mix plenty of onions and jalapeno's in it to be anything but bland. And I didn't mix it until it was a paste, just a chunky mixture that I could form.

I like the sweet BBQ sauce on mine, as Ron_L said, it compliments the saltiness of the sausage, at least on regular sausage... gonna try Maple sausage one of these days.

I'm sure they're awesomely good to you so I was just responding in that you asked for thoughts and opinions and in my opinion when all that stuff becomes paste (or chunky mixture) so I don't get to taste the textures on my tongue which is what I like. I don't favor sugary sauces either so the good news is that it leaves more of that for those who enjoy sugar. Me I'm all about pepper. Pics would be helpful. :drama:

Crazy Tex
04-07-2010, 10:20 PM
I'm sure they're awesomely good to you so I was just responding in that you asked for thoughts and opinions and in my opinion when all that stuff becomes paste (or chunky mixture) so I don't get to taste the textures on my tongue which is what I like. I don't favor sugary sauces either so the good news is that it leaves more of that for those who enjoy sugar. Me I'm all about pepper. Pics would be helpful. :drama:

I understand your opinion, and respect it...
I also like the texture, and turns out I need more onion and jalapeno (so you were right about dulling down the flavors)... BUT, the idea of pre-making the insides worked really well... just need to tweak the ingredients a bit. I also tried this one without the sauce, was just a bit salty to me without it.

Here's a couple of pics.
Here's the frozen cheese chunks , I know they look like tater tots.
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa289/mvoss2576/cheesefillingSmall.jpg

here's the cooked egg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa289/mvoss2576/IMG_0070MediumSmall.jpg

Nick@ParkAQ
04-08-2010, 12:26 AM
Cool pics and most interesting. I had visualized something different. In what you made pregrinding the filling makes sense. I may try it with a grid chop (and sans cheese) they look just lovely! Thanks for sharing

McGurk
04-08-2010, 03:14 PM
Either of the 2 shown ways look great, but I like the idea of smaller ones for serving. I may have to do both of them side by side for comparison! Either way: I AM HUNGRY!

Crazy Tex
04-08-2010, 05:45 PM
Either of the 2 shown ways look great, but I like the idea of smaller ones for serving. I may have to do both of them side by side for comparison! Either way: I AM HUNGRY!

The smaller ones are just the filling which was pre-made and frozen... the second was the finished product... well, before I finished it off. lol

Gonna tweak the filling a bit, but that just means I have to make more...darn the luck!:becky:

McGurk
04-08-2010, 09:34 PM
I meant the ones the OP put up and the ones you made. I follow you on the premade, frozen filling "tots". Seems like a simple and effective way to do it versus the halved and filled jalapenos, and with a smaller, more finger-friendly dish.

Paulmark
04-08-2010, 10:41 PM
Damn this is a great thread:thumb: On the big ones I thought it looked like there wasn't enough pepper or cheese per bite. So I thought, "so just use habanero's , on the small ones they look perfect. IMHO. Thanks for posting.

Crazy Tex
04-09-2010, 11:52 AM
Oh... forgot he posted the other pictures up there.. my bad. I like the way he did it too.