PDA

View Full Version : Help me with a thick & sticky sauce

cardiac_cadet002
03-14-2010, 09:22 PM
A while back I had a PP sammich and the place didnt offer any of the Eastern NC sauces I'm used to. So I went with what they called a "thick & sticky" sauce that was sweet but not so sweet I had to have a shot of insulin to wash it all down. I was surprised by how good it was. I'm sweating just thinking about it. Anyone have a recipe they care to share for such a sauce? I've searched but not much luck. I'm guessing its close to a dark KC style but just thicker maybe?

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
03-14-2010, 09:27 PM
Where did you have the sauce. That might give us some more to go on.

Kevin
03-14-2010, 09:28 PM
Sounds like Ken Davis sauce. I used to use that stuff with reckless abandon. Sorry, don't have any recipes for that style though. I'm partial to red, peppery and vinegar sauces lately.

btcg
03-14-2010, 09:32 PM
A while back I had a PP sammich and the place didnt offer any of the Eastern NC sauces I'm used to. So I went with what they called a "thick & sticky" sauce that was sweet but not so sweet I had to have a shot of insulin to wash it all down. I was surprised by how good it was. I'm sweating just thinking about it. Anyone have a recipe they care to share for such a sauce? I've searched but not much luck. I'm guessing its close to a dark KC style but just thicker maybe?

Here's a great mustard sauce

Mustard Vinegar Sauce

1 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup Yellow mustard
1/4 cup onion finely minced
2 cloves garlic pureed
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce

Combine ingredients and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
For a smoother sauce, blend on high for a few minutes.

cardiac_cadet002
03-14-2010, 09:34 PM
It was a hole in the wall place in west Tennessee, but it's not like a Memphis type sauce. I cant remember the name of the place. I remember it was really dark, and thick. Its possible the sweetness came from dark corn syrup or molasses.

btcg
03-14-2010, 09:36 PM
It was a hole in the wall place in west Tennessee, but it's not like a Memphis type sauce. I cant remember the name of the place. I remember it was really dark, and thick. Its possible the sweetness came from dark corn syrup or molasses.

Try the top one. Substitute the hot sauce for smoke flavored tabasco. It's sweet, sticky, and has a kick.

JD McGee
03-14-2010, 09:39 PM
Sweet Baby Ray's...:cool:

cardiac_cadet002
03-14-2010, 09:53 PM
Sweet Baby Ray's...:cool:

Only in Keri C's Hawg Apple Beans. :tongue: Its not thick enough.

landarc
03-14-2010, 10:34 PM
Really, thicker? Much thicker and it is ketchup.

Ron_L
03-14-2010, 11:36 PM
Blues Hog is pretty thick and sticky.