PDA

View Full Version : St patty's day is fast approaching...

mmmmeat
03-14-2010, 06:08 PM
alright... I love the corned beef... although up to this point i have ALWAYS crockpotted it with cabbage and potatoes... which is awsome ... but this year i'd like to try smokin it...

corned beef is usually a brisket from what i have seen...how would be the best way to keep the cornyness, and smoky flavor i think would go together...would a fast and hot be the way to go, or low and slow...any and all help/ suggestions would be great...

River City Smokehouse
03-14-2010, 06:10 PM
Try it in a pan and save the juices, or cook it just like a brisket. However you like.

CajunSmoker
03-14-2010, 06:13 PM
corned beef is one of those things I still like best cooked in a crockpot:cool:

expatpig
03-14-2010, 06:14 PM
Smoke it and enjoy the pastrami.

mmmmeat
03-14-2010, 06:18 PM
so if you smoke corned beef, you get pastrami?

landarc
03-14-2010, 06:21 PM
Yes to that question. But, if you smoke it for one hour, then foil and slow cook, or throw it in a oven pan and braise it, you get the best of both worlds, braised corned beef with smoky flavors. Heck, grill those veggies and add some color too.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
03-14-2010, 06:26 PM
Here is a link to Brother Thirdeye's blog where he explains all about how to make pastrami by smoking corned beef.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/05/beef-pastrami.html

Odin the Dog
03-14-2010, 06:27 PM
I have one in the kettle now, started at 2:00.

Here she is at 4:00. I just foiled her closed.

Next come the veggies. I may just have to give them a short time on the grill -thanks Bob. These will be added around 5:00, three hours in.

mmmmeat
03-14-2010, 06:49 PM
Yes to that question. But, if you smoke it for one hour, then foil and slow cook, or throw it in a oven pan and braise it, you get the best of both worlds, braised corned beef with smoky flavors. Heck, grill those veggies and add some color too.

ohhh that settled it, thats how im gonna do it, now... what temp should i shoot for fer that hour? like 200 or so??

landarc
03-14-2010, 07:01 PM
I would keep the cooker temperature as if you are doing a regular smoke. You want to get as much smoke into that thing in an hour as you can. It will dilute once you add fluid and veggies. In my case, I think 250F, clean fire, oak and apple. And I might even grab the little spice pack and grind some of the spices into the rub. I have done all of this except for the spice pack part, I do not know how that will work.

mmmmeat
03-14-2010, 07:06 PM
k i'll give that a try, and i am going throw a dalmation at it with corny spices and knock that ish out :boxing: ( i have wanted to use that one all day)

Odin the Dog
03-14-2010, 07:37 PM

Grilled veggies just added...

schellter
03-14-2010, 09:48 PM
I would keep the cooker temperature as if you are doing a regular smoke. You want to get as much smoke into that thing in an hour as you can. It will dilute once you add fluid and veggies. In my case, I think 250F, clean fire, oak and apple. And I might even grab the little spice pack and grind some of the spices into the rub. I have done all of this except for the spice pack part, I do not know how that will work.

Would you still soak it first like you would for a pastrami?

landarc
03-14-2010, 09:57 PM
I do not like how salty it is, so I have always soaked it for a day with several water changes, even if it is going to be boiled. Otherwise it is just too salty.

Redwingsfn31
03-14-2010, 10:22 PM
Corned beef is jewish, not Irish. If you want a true Irish experience try some Irish bacon, potatoes and turnips.

mmmmeat
03-14-2010, 10:36 PM
actually no.... tradition of corned beef and cabbage is american in tradition and from the 1600's til earlymid 1800's ireland was the Worlds largest exporter of corned beef... but im intrigued by the bacon idea... mmmm bacon makes the world go round

The Tradition of Corned Beef and Cabbage

Corned Beef and Cabbage is basically an American tradition on St. Patrick's
Day started by irish-Americans in the mid 1800's

Some Irish people feel that corned beef and cabbage is about as Irish as spaghetti and meatballs.

Since cows were used for milk rather than meat in poor times in Ireland, beef was a delicacy that was fed to kings. It was more common to celebrate a holiday meal with what they call a ham (Gammon) or bacon joint. ( a cured but unsmoked piece of pork) with their cabbage and potatoes. When many Irish Immigrants came over in the mid 1800’s they couldn’t find a bacon joint like they had in Ireland, so they found that Jewish corned beef was very similar in texture, and they used that for their holiday celebrations.

Corned Beef, A Rite of Spring
Some say that Corned beef was a great Spring celebration meal because often this cured beef sat in crocks all winter and was brought out in the Spring to celebrate.

MattCom
03-15-2010, 11:41 AM
St. Patrick was from England

Nick@ParkAQ
03-15-2010, 12:05 PM
Indeed. Smoke em if you got em.
Park it! Grill it! Eat it! and Ering go Bra it!
Happy St Pattys to everyone

platys
03-15-2010, 12:12 PM
I had a tragic corned beef incident as a child, so I have a hard time stomaching the traditional crock pot method. (Mainly, crock pot failed. Corned Beef sat all day in lukewarm water. Was raised to eat what was served without complaint. My mom only figured it out later when she sat down to eat.)

So, the idea of smoking it first might help me overcome it, because honestly, I love how corned beef tastes. Its just when I see it in a crockpot, I get queasy.

pahutchens
03-15-2010, 01:05 PM
St. Patrick was from England
Yep Ireland's greatest invader :twitch:

deguerre
03-15-2010, 01:09 PM
I let mine sit in water (changing every 6 hours or so) for a couple days and smoked it last night. I took it off at 170 and foiled it immediately and into the fridge due to the hour so I can slice it and steam the slices for sammies. I resisted temptation and did not try so I don't know about it yet. (Dinner was ABTs, Italian sausage stuffed and bacon wrapped fattie and smoked salmon so...)

MattCom
03-15-2010, 03:18 PM
Yep Ireland's greatest invader :twitch:

Actually it was Irish raiders that captured him at age 16 and he was forced into slavery, at about age 21 he escaped and then a few yrs later he came back to be a catholic missionary. He was responsible for the symbol of the 3 leaf clover (father, son, holy ghost) he used as a visual against a movement that was meant to separate the "holy trinity".

My Irish parents just had kids for slaves, it saved the boat trip! :-o

suprfast
03-15-2010, 03:32 PM
Corned beef is jewish, not Irish. If you want a true Irish experience try some Irish bacon, potatoes and turnips.

Im pretty sure its not Jewish. The Irish adopted the "corned beef" as a result of not finding bacon(Conservative Jews dont eat bacon, im a bad jew and eat it all:icon_smile_tongue:)

If you do get a chance to find a REAL "KOSHER" deli give it a shot. Best corned beef and pastrami i ever ate was in Los Angeles, CA and i cant recall the name of the place(i would love to try something from a Jewish community in NY, but its too far of a drive). Odds are you wont get cheese with the meal, only downside. Gotta keep it kosher.

Odin, nice job with the veggies on the grill. I ALWAYS forget to throw them on the grill. I bet the flavor just intensifies.
Kris

landarc
03-15-2010, 04:02 PM
It is all Roman, it was the Romans that started salting meat for preservative purposes. They introduced salt making to all of Europe.

Odin the Dog
03-15-2010, 04:11 PM
Odin, nice job with the veggies on the grill. I ALWAYS forget to throw them on the grill. I bet the flavor just intensifies.
Kris

The carrots got a little toasty. I should have let the cabbage go a little longer. I was great though...this was all Bob's idea.:thumb:

suprfast
03-15-2010, 04:41 PM
The carrots got a little toasty. I should have let the cabbage go a little longer. I was great though...this was all Bob's idea.:thumb:

Who's bob if you dont mine me asking. Still a little fresh here. I see you are in livermore.

Im thinking of trying something with the above technique, so im thanking bob in advance.
kris

MattCom
03-15-2010, 07:19 PM
Im pretty sure its not Jewish. The Irish adopted the "corned beef" as a result of not finding bacon(Conservative Jews dont eat bacon, im a bad jew and eat it all:icon_smile_tongue:)

If you do get a chance to find a REAL "KOSHER" deli give it a shot. Best corned beef and pastrami i ever ate was in Los Angeles, CA and i cant recall the name of the place(i would love to try something from a Jewish community in NY, but its too far of a drive). Odds are you wont get cheese with the meal, only downside. Gotta keep it kosher.

Kris
They're happy to serve it on the side, you just have to reconstruct.:clap2:

landarc
03-15-2010, 07:31 PM
I am one of many Bob's here.

Cigarbque
03-15-2010, 08:22 PM
My all time favorite corned beef and cabbage:

Simmer it until tender in a bath of Guinness and pickling spices with a chopped onion and a stick of butter. Toss in the taters and cabbage at the end until tender but not overcooked. Yum!

schellter
03-15-2010, 09:00 PM

Kris

The best pastrami, IMO, is in LA at Langer's Deli at 7th and Alvarado. Absolutely wonderful pastrami and the best rye bread you ever tasted.

suprfast
03-15-2010, 09:05 PM
The best pastrami, IMO, is in LA at Langer's Deli at 7th and Alvarado. Absolutely wonderful pastrami and the best rye bread you ever tasted.

Thanks. Im planning a trip this summer to la brea tar pits and museum of tolerance and would love to get me a good pastrami afterwards.

Kosher is difficult stuff. I give credit to those that follow. Now where is my bacon cheeseburger.

BobBrisket
03-15-2010, 09:41 PM
Mmmmeat,

Hope yo don't mind a little hijack here, but figured it'd be nice to have all the CBC idears all on one thread...........YOUR thread. I was gonna post my own but I really only have one small ?.

We are going camping for a few days and I'm going with the crock pot. Saves me time so I can either do more fishing or playing with the kids.

Wife is at Wally's as I type and is bringing back a corned flat. If I begin soaking it tonight and all through tomorrow will that be enough time to leach most of the saly out?
Thanks for starting this tread. I look forward to CBC every year. Remember, stores will be trying to get rid of the corned beef after St. P's. They let em go cheap. Then it's PASTRAMI!!

B

mmmmeat
03-15-2010, 10:01 PM
nah pinche bob, i dont mind at all the hijack, i wanted to get buncha views as i have only ever had it the one way... well then the rueben way too... but all the colorful commentary is excellent

Redwingsfn31
03-15-2010, 10:05 PM

Kris

Actually your kind of right. Corned beef was brought to America by Eastern European Jews. There was a large Jewish population in New York were they continued the Tradition of making smoked and salted meats. When the Irish Immigrated to America, their traditional rashers couldnt be found, so they substituted the corned beef, because it was easy to find and inexpensive.

landarc
03-15-2010, 10:21 PM
I soak for overnight. Longer won't hurt, but, I have found overnight works fine. Also, I have had corned beef cooked with a glaze over a clean fire or in the oven baked low and slow. My mom would use a glaze of mustard, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, salt and pepper. It was meant to be sweet and sticky. The veggies were cooked with brining spices from package, but, just enough salt. It was terrific and no crock pot was used.

The BBQ QB
03-15-2010, 10:24 PM

Kris

But they do eat Brisket. It's one of the muscles not connected to the sciatic nerve and comes from the correct end of the meat so can be Kosher.

Early Irish immigrants in New York adopted Corned beef from their Jewish neighbours because they couldn't find bacon, and it was eadily available and relatively cheap.

But the Jews did not invent Corning Beef, the Romans used salt, but I'm not usre they used a brine; certainly they were not the first to salt cure either, that's been lost to history. So is Corned beef Jewish? Not likely.

But is Corned Beef an Irish tradition, sure is, at least in America, over 150 years I think qualifies it as a bona-fide tradition.
so

Pog mo thoin.

And in true Irish redirection....

Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein loma-làn easgannan

Really tho...

Beannachtaí na Féile Pádraig

Mike D

suprfast
03-15-2010, 11:10 PM
I know for a fact "they" eat brisket because "they" = "me". Only parts not Kosher is, like you said, parts connected to the sciatic nerve and kidneys. We have brisket at passover every year. Im trying my best to do a smoked brisket but apparently the resident fat guy in our congregation does the brisket himself(and its not very good i might add). Once you go smoked flavorful meat, its VERY VERY hard to appreciate anything out of an oven, or *GASP* crock pot. My dad does corned beef and cabbage every year in a crock pot for new years day. I HATE IT.

I honestly think we need a "Pastrami Throwdown" and everyone that has posted above me is a taste tester. :becky::becky:

But they do eat Brisket. It's one of the muscles not connected to the sciatic nerve and comes from the correct end of the meat so can be Kosher.

Early Irish immigrants in New York adopted Corned beef from their Jewish neighbours because they couldn't find bacon, and it was eadily available and relatively cheap.

But the Jews did not invent Corning Beef, the Romans used salt, but I'm not usre they used a brine; certainly they were not the first to salt cure either, that's been lost to history. So is Corned beef Jewish? Not likely.

But is Corned Beef an Irish tradition, sure is, at least in America, over 150 years I think qualifies it as a bona-fide tradition.
so

Pog mo thoin.

And in true Irish redirection....

Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein loma-làn easgannan

Really tho...

Beannachtaí na Féile Pádraig

Mike D

BobBrisket
03-15-2010, 11:15 PM
I am one of many Bob's here.

nah pinche bob, i dont mind at all the hijack, i wanted to get buncha views as i have only ever had it the one way... well then the rueben way too... but all the colorful commentary is excellent

:becky: Thanks, Mmmmeat!

Bob, I'll let it soak over nite then good to go in the AM.

Bob