PDA

View Full Version : Boudain....what do I do with it?

Harmening
03-14-2010, 01:05 PM
Hey all. My wife just got home from the store. In one of the bags, she had a package of Boudain. I'm not real sure what to do with it. She told me it looked disgusting, so she figured I would like it.:shock: Problem is, I've never prepared it before. It looks almost like a sausage of sorts. Is this something that needs to be slow cooked, Hot and fast, direct, indirect? Or is it even supposed the be grilled or barbequed? If any of you have a Boudain recipe, would you mind sharing it, or at least pointing me in the right direction? Thanks.

Paulmark
03-14-2010, 01:11 PM
http://www.seriouseats.com/talk/2008/09/boudain.html
Check out this site, I've never had it either,but it sounds good. Good luck and post some pics if you can.

We stuff jalapeno peppers with the boudain then wrap them with bacon and cook them on the grill....it's excellent.
Boudain is good stuffed in any kind of pepper I think (take it out of the casing of course).
This sounded good, also boudain balls wrapped with bacon might work and put on your cooker like MOINKS.

BobBrisket
03-14-2010, 01:21 PM
Make sure you read the ingredients first. The real deal is made with some interesting proteins!!! I love the stuff. Just had some last night. Really just needs to be warmed through. High heat, indirect with a little smoke till the casing darkens. One thig about the one I buy is that I know its ready when the filling starts to OOze out the ends. Casing is a little tough. But jus treat it like a brat. My favorite is just sliced with a q sauce and hot sauce mix and just dip and eat.

Kevin
03-14-2010, 01:21 PM
She told me it looked disgusting, so she figured I would like it.:shock:

Now that's funny, and sounds familiar. I made some Boudin once and did not care for it, but that could be because I have no idea what it should taste like. Cajun Smoker?

Harmening
03-14-2010, 01:23 PM
Make sure you read the ingredients first. The real deal is made with some interesting proteins!!! I love the stuff. Just had some last night. Really just needs to be warmed through. High heat, indirect with a little smoke till the casing darkens. One thig about the one I buy is that I know its ready when the filling starts to OOze out the ends. Casing is a little tough. But jus treat it like a brat. My favorite is just sliced with a q sauce and hot sauce mix and just dip and eat.

Ha. Yeah, my wife read the ingredients at the store. That's why she figured I would like it. She says I like all of the stuff she thinks is gross. :heh:

Ye Olde Party Palace
03-14-2010, 01:35 PM
I have always poached my boudain. When I have prepared it for others, I have found that they either really like it or they hate it. Thinking now that a light smoke, with something like apple wood, might be a really great taste. Like I have found in poaching boudain, I will warm it until it begins to push out of the casing. :thumb:

CajunSmoker
03-14-2010, 01:53 PM
Believe it or not Boudin's not a favorite of mine. I like it stuffed in a pepper or wrapped in cabbage leaves and poached in a light tomato sauce when I do eat it. I'm more of a texas sausage fan. Like Opa beef's. (hint hint Jorge);-)

landarc
03-14-2010, 03:33 PM
Hmmm, I steam them or poach them whole, important that the casing is not broken. Then cut off the end, put some thin hot sauce on them and eat em from the casing, I do not eat the casing itself. Just squeeze em like an Otter pop.

nolaman
03-14-2010, 03:39 PM
Boudain is a love-hate type of sausage. Because of the liver content, it is noticeable. I love it, and my wife hates it! I too grill mine indirect till heated through. The ingredients are precooked, so careful not to over cook. The casing will burst, and they will fall apart! Poached in a pan with a little water works great. I like to eat it dipped in creole, or brown mustard. I also like to dip it in remoulade sauce. The kind in a jar is OK. You can usually find it around the seafood counter,cause thats what it's used on. Good luck, hope you enjoy!

tjj
03-14-2010, 03:53 PM
Boudin is mostly pork, rice, onion mix with spicey seasonings. Most of the time, real spicey.:-P It's usually steamed in a rice cooker and then served. You can remove it from the casing and make balls and bread and fry them too although it's kind of a waste since you could go from mix to balls without stuffing them in casing if you were going to fry them.

Down here most small store deli's, gas stations and restaurants serve boudin.

BTW, boudin is pronounced boo-dan (down here anyways).

bubbachuck
03-14-2010, 09:11 PM
I am in no way a boudin expert, but I know that I love it. Just had some yesterday. I buy it at Wal-mart so not sure how authentic it is but is tastes great with a nice ice cold beer. We usually cook em contests and just throw them on the smoker and eat up. Other times I remove them from the casing and stuff a fatty with it. Or remove from casing heat in a skillet them put it in omelettes. But if I eat too much boy talk about gettin a bad case of gout. Thats all I have to say about that.

GreasePig
03-14-2010, 10:19 PM
We have a butcher shop here that makes Boudin and I do like it. Usually use it as a stuffing or just eat the links like a Brat.

We also have a few restaurants that make Boudin Balls here and I gotta say THIS is the way to enjoy this stuff! They are incredible!

T-Man
03-14-2010, 11:36 PM
Google the website " boudin link " It will tell one all about the Cajun Boudin..Its all good...

T-Man
03-14-2010, 11:52 PM
Oh I forgot...Check out the boudin eating contest video...And watch 'em puke..It s all good...!!

tmcmaster
03-15-2010, 04:23 AM
I put Boudain up there with Chorizo... Good stuff if in the right mood...

SmokinAussie
03-15-2010, 04:37 AM
Never heard of it... Anyone got a breakdown?

Cheers!

tmcmaster
03-15-2010, 05:43 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boudin

Jet2
03-15-2010, 08:07 AM
Grill it. Spray the grill with Pam and use indirect heat. Be careful not to squeeze too hard when you turn it or take it off or it will bust the casing.

frognot
03-15-2010, 08:51 AM
Boudin balls

http://www.realcajunrecipes.com/recipes/cajun/boudoin-balls/547.rcr

TexAg '01
03-15-2010, 02:07 PM
Gotta say I love the stuff. I usually smoke it when I can, then squeeze it out of the casing and eat it on saltines with Louisiana Hot Sauce. Just good stuff. there used to be a place in Port Neches, TX called Nick's that had some of the best boudin and green onion sausage. I'd try to stop by there and load up when I could. Unfortunately I heard it was shut down after Rita and haven't been back to find out for sure.

JamesTX
03-15-2010, 02:12 PM
Ahhh - the Aggie got it. I always eat it on crackers also. Doesn't matter if the casing break because we take it out anyway.

I used to stop by a place in Pt. Neches that would cut the boudin into chunks, batter them and deep fry them. God those were good.

Bigmista
03-15-2010, 02:47 PM
Put it in a hot skillet with about 1/4 cup of water and cover. Steam (Poach) until it is coming out of its casing. Pour off remaining water and add 2 tbsp of butter, some green onions and bell pepper. Cook until veggies soften and fillings are out of casing and you are getting brown bits on the bottom of the skillet. Add in a few tomato wedges just long enough to get them warm and sprinkle with your favorite cajun seasoning. Plate it, taking care to scrape out those brown bits because they are tasty!

Chef Jim
03-15-2010, 02:59 PM
Don't like Boudin either but listen to what tjj said, It's a New Orleans type of sausage and he's from that area and should know what he's talkin about. For me it has to be Andouille!!!!

keend
03-15-2010, 03:13 PM
I grew up in South Louisiana and love the stuff, both red and blanc.

It is already cooked so grill indirect until warm and the natural casings crisp up a bit. You can also microwave and squeeze out of the casings and eat with crackers. Also great on a po-boy.

Boudin can be made with any kind of meat like most cajun specialities but it is usually pork and organ meat with rice and cajun seasonings.

Chicken boudin, seafood boudin, pork boudin, crawfish boudin, etc.:hungry:

grillzilla10
03-15-2010, 03:27 PM
I grilled mine up over lump charcoal and consumed , it tasted pretty good .I didnt know I cooked it wrong until now.

Harmening
03-15-2010, 04:50 PM
Well, I just simply grilled the boudain over indirect heat last night. I gotta say, it's a unique flavor that I really enjoyed.

It looks like I'm gonna have to go back for more so that I can try out all of these recipes posted. Some of them really sound great.

Thanks for all of the feedback.

cvan
03-15-2010, 05:10 PM
Just got home with 10 pounds of fresh and 15 pounds smoked boudin. Man I love it I also have 33 pounds of good crawdads. But I digress.. I would think yours is probably Zumbo's? it goes real good in bell peppers and it doesn't taste like the real stuff. I just wrap a piece in wet paper towel and nuke it for a minute or so. mmmmm
I was at Lafayette La. I got mine at Best stop in Scott La. them Crawdads came from Crowley La. Gilberts...
Tommorrow is the day. I will take pictures since I am putting smoked Andoule with them.

T-Man
03-15-2010, 05:50 PM
Best Stop in Scott La. Has some of the best boudin.....

Harmening
03-15-2010, 11:15 PM
Just got home with 10 pounds of fresh and 15 pounds smoked boudin. Man I love it I also have 33 pounds of good crawdads. But I digress.. I would think yours is probably Zumbo's? it goes real good in bell peppers and it doesn't taste like the real stuff. I just wrap a piece in wet paper towel and nuke it for a minute or so. mmmmm
I was at Lafayette La. I got mine at Best stop in Scott La. them Crawdads came from Crowley La. Gilberts...
Tommorrow is the day. I will take pictures since I am putting smoked Andoule with them.

Not Zumbo's. I got it from my local butcher. He has a butcher shop, liquor, and small grocery. He's actually a LA native.

I'm absolutely amazed how much I've learned in just a few short years from this site. He just returned this morning, and when I asked him for recipes, everything he mentioned has already been suggested.

I hope you guys try Boudain, it really is unique.

1FUNVET
03-16-2010, 09:53 AM
Cajun seven course meal consists of a 6 pack of beer and a pound of boudin :tongue:

barbefunkoramaque
03-16-2010, 10:14 AM
My wife loves the old boudin

Mikel35
03-16-2010, 12:06 PM
I work less than a mile from the best cajun meat market in the universe...Bourgeois Smoked Meat Market...they make the best fresh boudin and the absolute BEST beef jerky you ever had...some people here may have had their jerky...it sells for $19/ lb though...they only make the white boudin and it is awesome grilled, smoked, or poached with a lil bit of hot mustard and some hot sauce!!! Best stuff in the world....glad I am a coonass cuz there ain't no better food anywhere else!!!!! :thumb:

FltEng
03-16-2010, 01:30 PM
Boudin rocks; the stuffing inside the casing is like a casserole in a link.