PDA

View Full Version : The Inaugural Mes Smoke W/ Pork Butt Pron

Derek
03-14-2010, 08:54 AM
I did an Apple wood, Cherry wood combo and I've got the wood soaking right now while the smoker is getting up to 225.

The Rub with out Salt ( added saffron )
http://drp-photography.smugmug.com/Food/Food-Pron/DSC00261/809785600_eQnNH-L.jpg

The Pork Butt Cut
http://drp-photography.smugmug.com/Food/Food-Pron/DSC00260/809785574_ZAhcF-L.jpg

The pan
http://drp-photography.smugmug.com/Food/Food-Pron/DSC00262/809785610_GM8WH-L.jpg

The Pork Butt in the Pan added Olive oil instead of mustard & added the rub
http://drp-photography.smugmug.com/Food/Food-Pron/DSC00264/809785619_U7r7g-L.jpg

Questions
I've followed everyone's advice about the wood, By the way do I have to keep soaking the wood each hour to 2 hours when I add the combo?

Also If I use a mop, will I have to keep the Pork butt covered in foil?

bigabyte
03-14-2010, 09:02 AM
Looks like a great start, can't wait to see what happens!:cool:

Saffron?:suspicious: Let us know how that works, seems like a lot of money for such delicate flavor considering it's on a hunk of pork getting smoked for hours. Might work, but I've never tried it personally so, who knows, maybe it will be great!:thumb:

I have not used a MES, or any electric smoker, so I don't know what to tell you on the soaking of the wood.

Good luck!:-D

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
03-14-2010, 09:03 AM
Also If I use a mop, will I have to keep the Pork butt covered in foil?[/COLOR]

I can't help with advice on the wood chips since I never use them.

If you keep the pork butt covered in foil, you will be steaming it not smoking it.

Can you explain more about how you intend to cook it. Looks like that is a partial butt? How much does it weigh?

bigabyte
03-14-2010, 09:15 AM
IMHO, the foil is not so much to keep the meat moist as it is a way to speed up the cooking of it. I do not correlate mopping and foiling. Really, what a mop can bring t ot he party is an extra layer of flavor, and can make an impact on bark. Foiling is just about braising, and it will produce a mushy bark. Lots of people love foiling though, so you ahve to figure out for yourself if you're a foiler or not. For the first butt, keep it simple and treat it as your baseline to measure all other things against later. Try the mop on the next one and see if you like it better. Then do a foiled one and see how it compares. If you don't start with the simple piece of meat though, then you don't really know what each step did to the meat really, because you don't have an idea of what the meat without those steps tastes like.

Derek
03-14-2010, 09:18 AM
Looks like a great start, can't wait to see what happens!:cool:

Saffron?:suspicious: Let us know how that works, seems like a lot of money for such delicate flavor considering it's on a hunk of pork getting smoked for hours. Might work, but I've never tried it personally so, who knows, maybe it will be great!:thumb:

I have not used a MES, or any electric smoker, so I don't know what to tell you on the soaking of the wood.

Good luck!:-DThanks Bigbyte, The saffron gave it a little extra sweetness to the brown sugar, and I've made sure I let everyone sample the rub before I rubbed it on the meat.

I can't help with advice on the wood chips since I never use them.

If you keep the pork butt covered in foil, you will be steaming it not smoking it.

Can you explain more about how you intend to cook it. Looks like that is a partial butt? How much does it weigh?It's a partial butt and its a 3 pound butt.

According to the masterbuilt site that's what the cooking directions said to do after the initial 3 hours of cooking ( but I'm not doing that, I'm going to add my mop every hour until it's done.)

Derek
03-14-2010, 09:29 AM
Ok checked the Mes, The tempt dropped to 145 readjusted the flu.

Pale blue smoke is showing. and its still coming out the ports, ( but its working good tough )

http://drp-photography.smugmug.com/Food/Food-Pron/DSC00265/809805951_dYdJG-L.jpg

Ron_L
03-14-2010, 09:36 AM
I've never used one of those smokers, but it looks like you have the exhaust (daisy wheel on the top) completely closed. I would think that would be open to allow airflow. The air should be coming in somewhere near the bottom and out the top (convection). What do the instructions say to do with the top vent?

bigabyte
03-14-2010, 09:38 AM
x2 (Good catch Ron) Ron is right, that is uber-important. You need the smoke to escape freely, air control should only be from the bottom.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
03-14-2010, 09:39 AM
I would strongly consider following the directions that came with the MES for the first time out. Plenty of time to tweek things once you have established a base line cook.

Derek
03-14-2010, 10:05 AM
All the mes instructions says guys, is how to load the chips, assemble the smoker and season it.

So I'm going to leave the flu open...

bigabyte
03-14-2010, 10:14 AM
Sounds like a good plan. Keep us posted!:cool:

Derek
03-14-2010, 10:23 AM
Sounds like a good plan. Keep us posted!:cool:Will do BigaByte

Ron_L
03-14-2010, 10:29 AM
All the mes instructions says guys, is how to load the chips, assemble the smoker and season it.

I just looked at the instructions on their web site. Pretty short :-D

I have a Cookshack electric that operates on basically the same principal. Your heat source is the electric element. Your temp control is via the thermostat, but the vents. You mentioned that the temp dropped to 140. Was that the smoker temp? If you set the thermostat to a certain temp, say 225, I would think that it would stay at that temp (or close) the whole time. The unit should turn the burner on and off as needed. I don't understand how it could drop to 140.

BTW, be careful with the amount of smoke for the first time. With my Cookshack it is very easy to over smoke and end up with a bitter taste to everything. Since the chips are just smoldering, not burning cleanly ike a normal fire, a little smoke goes a long way.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
03-14-2010, 10:33 AM

Here is the recipe for smoked pork butt from the Masterbuilt site. Since your meat is less than half the size they suggest, the times may differ.

"Smoked Pork Butt

Ingredients

7 lbs Fresh pork butt
½ tsp Salt
¼ cup Brown Sugar
2 tbsp Chili Powder

Suggested wood chips for smoking:

Apple Chips

Directions

Mix ingredients and rub onto pork butt. Cook pork butt for 5 hours in 225 degree pre heated smoker using apple wood chips during the first 3 hours. After 5 hours remove butt and wrap in heavy foil. Cook for an additional 1 to 1 ½ hours. Internal temperature should be 160 degrees. Serve."

Derek
03-14-2010, 10:45 AM
I just looked at the instructions on their web site. Pretty short :-D

I have a Cookshack electric that operates on basically the same principal. Your heat source is the electric element. Your temp control is via the thermostat, but the vents. You mentioned that the temp dropped to 140. Was that the smoker temp? If you set the thermostat to a certain temp, say 225, I would think that it would stay at that temp (or close) the whole time. The unit should turn the burner on and off as needed. I don't understand how it could drop to 140.

BTW, be careful with the amount of smoke for the first time. With my Cookshack it is very easy to over smoke and end up with a bitter taste to everything. Since the chips are just smoldering, not burning cleanly ike a normal fire, a little smoke goes a long way.I think that was me, I didn't do a few things right the first time, so that's my bad on my part ( I kept opening the door, and the chip loader, LOL!

Also what do you mean too much smoke?

Here is the recipe for smoked pork butt from the Masterbuilt site. Since your meat is less than half the size they suggest, the times may differ.

"Smoked Pork Butt

Ingredients

7 lbs Fresh pork butt
½ tsp Salt
¼ cup Brown Sugar
2 tbsp Chili Powder

Suggested wood chips for smoking:

Apple Chips

Directions

Mix ingredients and rub onto pork butt. Cook pork butt for 5 hours in 225 degree pre heated smoker using apple wood chips during the first 3 hours. After 5 hours remove butt and wrap in heavy foil. Cook for an additional 1 to 1 ½ hours. Internal temperature should be 160 degrees. Serve."That's the basic one I'm following for the cooking time and I have a meat probe just to make sure it reaches 160 *f...

peppasawce
03-14-2010, 11:28 AM
By too much smoke Ron_L means that since you are using wet wood and not dry smoke you will not be having a burnoff....And with wet wood it will smolder and add too much wet smoke which in turn leads to a bitter taste of smoke in your meat, and not a cleanly smoked end product....Limit your wood....Keep smoking and you will learn by trial and error....And hopefully not too much error, because too many errors will become very expenses with the way our food prices are in the US!!!LOL Good Luck Brother!!!!

Derek
03-14-2010, 12:17 PM
By too much smoke Ron_L means that since you are using wet wood and not dry smoke you will not be having a burnoff....And with wet wood it will smolder and add too much wet smoke which in turn leads to a bitter taste of smoke in your meat, and not a cleanly smoked end product....Limit your wood....Keep smoking and you will learn by trial and error....And hopefully not too much error, because too many errors will become very expenses with the way our food prices are in the US!!!LOL Good Luck Brother!!!!Thanks Peppasawce And Ron.

By the way guys the temp is finally staying where I need it too.

Here's what 2 1/2 hours in looks like.

http://drp-photography.smugmug.com/Food/Food-Pron/DSC00266/809893042_v7piR-L.jpg

By the way It may needs to cook a little longer then 7 hours but that's cool I'm keeping a close eye on it...

bigabyte
03-14-2010, 12:27 PM
Looking good so far (now that you took care of that spongey thingie):biggrin:

Derek
03-14-2010, 12:32 PM
Looking good so far (now that you took care of that spongey thingie):biggrin:Haha thanks man.

like I said was a newbie mistake..

bigabyte
03-14-2010, 12:37 PM
Happens to all of us. Those things like to hide on the meat sometimes. I brined a brisket for corned beef one time, and when I went to flip it two days later saw this "thing" on the meat...:roll:

Derek
03-14-2010, 12:42 PM
I guess that's how we learn things right Bigabyte?

ronp
03-14-2010, 01:21 PM
You should always keep the top vent open. Are you using water in the pan? I always have a drip pan below the meat with some aujus and after 5 hours of smoke I put the meat in and cover and take the temps to 200' until the meat falls apart, then defat the juices and mix with the pulled pork.

Good luck.

Derek
03-14-2010, 01:22 PM
You should always keep the top vent open. Are you using water in the pan? I always have a drip pan below the meat with some aujus and after 5 hours of smoke I put the meat in and cover and take the temps to 200' until the meat falls apart, then defat the juices and mix with the pulled pork.

Good luck.I am and thanks Ron, I'm going to make some Ajue sauce.

I wanted to mac & cheese in the smoker too but I didn't have a small enough pan with a lip all the way around it.

Derek
03-14-2010, 01:31 PM
Ok, I stuck the meat probe into the meat and it went in like butta. And it read 155*f So it's allmost done.

By the way I wanted mac & cheese but threw this in the oven...

http://drp-photography.smugmug.com/Food/Food-Pron/DSC00268/809945360_comub-L.jpg

bigabyte
03-14-2010, 02:10 PM
I usually cook pork butts to 195. What's your target temp?

Derek
03-14-2010, 02:13 PM
I usually cook pork butts to 195. What's your target temp?It's 230 for the target temp, And my meat THERMOprobe is at 158.

So it's almost done, and I've been smoking for for 8 hours ( which it should be done w in 1 and 2 minutes.)

gtsum
03-14-2010, 02:15 PM
that meat will not be done until 195-200 degrees internal temp...at 160 it will be tough as shoe leather...you can slice it around 180 or so, but if you want pulled pork, it will need to cook quite a bit longer

Derek
03-14-2010, 02:28 PM
that meat will not be done until 195-200 degrees internal temp...at 160 it will be tough as shoe leather...you can slice it around 180 or so, but if you want pulled pork, it will need to cook quite a bit longerAccording to the meat package, the meat said 160*f and it's done?

BRBBQ
03-14-2010, 02:36 PM
I've never used one of those smokers, but it looks like you have the exhaust (daisy wheel on the top) completely closed. I would think that would be open to allow airflow. The air should be coming in somewhere near the bottom and out the top (convection). What do the instructions say to do with the top vent?
Good catch and your right food in these can be over smoked, my wife hated over smoked food. This was my 1st smoker, took it back, temps in this thing was like a yo-yo

landarc
03-14-2010, 03:28 PM
It is looking good Derek, I agree that the spongy thing can be tricky and not just for new cookers. I did a cook, pulled off the spongy thing and went about my business. Just before putting it on, i noticed a second spongy thing, they had use two. Where are you at now? Close to 200F internal?

Derek
03-14-2010, 03:45 PM
It is looking good Derek, I agree that the spongy thing can be tricky and not just for new cookers. I did a cook, pulled off the spongy thing and went about my business. Just before putting it on, i noticed a second spongy thing, they had use two. Where are you at now? Close to 200F internal?It's at 168 right now, but I'm only going to bring it to 180 just enough to shred it.

Oh man I can't believe how nice the butt looks now.

landarc
03-14-2010, 03:55 PM
Don't do it, 195F, you can do it right.

Meat Burner
03-14-2010, 03:58 PM
ditto to ^^^. 195 will be a whole lot better!

Derek
03-14-2010, 04:01 PM
Ok done! It's going to go 195*f

Meat Burner
03-14-2010, 04:06 PM
good decision brother. Can't wait to see how it all comes out for ya.

Redwingsfn31
03-14-2010, 04:08 PM
The very first pork shoulder I did many yrs ago, got up to 170 in about 5 hrs, then it hit the dreaded plateau, and took another 3.5 hrs to go another 15 degrees.

whodeyQ
03-14-2010, 04:18 PM
you really don't know what your missing if you pull it off before 185-190, that's when the calogen breaks down...

Derek
03-14-2010, 04:29 PM
you really don't know what your missing if you pull it off before 185-190, that's when the calogen breaks down...I'm actually going to pull it off when it nears 195*f though as the other gentlemen suggested to me.

tjj
03-14-2010, 04:33 PM
I just did my first pull pork last night. Pull temp at 197 and it rose to 201 peak while resting. OMG!! Never knew pork could taste that good! In fact I'd never tasted or seen pulled pork in the flesh before. Just read these Q forums and got the craving.

Thank goodness for the all the expertise shared on the forums cuz I don't think I'll live long enough to try all the things folks discuss here. Only two weeks into coal cooking. Always been a gasser before. New large GD and using lump for the first time. Too old to mind the pit for an all nighter so I got the DigiQ puffin thingy hooked up. You can imagine it's gonna take some re-programming on the cooks.

10 lb butt
14 hours at 230
foiled at 165 and pulled at 197
rested foiled for two more hours.
GET BACK.....!!

Derek
03-14-2010, 04:37 PM
I just did my first pull pork last night. Pull temp at 197 and it rose to 201 peak while resting. OMG!! Never knew pork could taste that good! In fact I'd never tasted or seen pulled pork in the flesh before. Just read these Q forums and got the craving.

Thank goodness for the all the expertise shared on the forums cuz I don't think I'll live long enough to try all the things folks discuss here. Only two weeks into coal cooking. Always been a gasser before. New large GD and using lump for the first time. Too old to mind the pit for an all nighter so I got the DigiQ puffin thingy hooked up. You can imagine it's gonna take some re-programming on the cooks.

10 lb butt
14 hours at 230
foiled at 165 and pulled at 197
rested foiled for two more hours.
GET BACK.....!!You are making me hungry Tj.........

tjj
03-14-2010, 04:45 PM
Well I just had to share my new found skill. I brought some to the neighbors next door. My sister-in-laws came with their couple of kids last night. Long story short, there's only enough of that 10 lb butt left to make one good sandwich. I told my neighbor if I had known it would turn out that good I would have cooked two. He said to let him know when and he would buy the pig meat for the next cook. I guess he liked it too.:-D

Derek
03-14-2010, 05:11 PM
Well I just had to share my new found skill. I brought some to the neighbors next door. My sister-in-laws came with their couple of kids last night. Long story short, there's only enough of that 10 lb butt left to make one good sandwich. I told my neighbor if I had known it would turn out that good I would have cooked two. He said to let him know when and he would buy the pig meat for the next cook. I guess he liked it too.:-DIt show's what great cooks we are,Tj.

Derek
03-14-2010, 07:03 PM
Here's the final product at 195*f internal temp.

It looks like it shrunk a bit, but daymn It was farking GOOOOOOOOOOOOD!

http://drp-photography.smugmug.com/Food/Food-Pron/DSC00269/810208484_G2LaG-L.jpg

&

The first cut into the meat ( not a good carver yet ) ( Look at the awesome BARK )
http://drp-photography.smugmug.com/Food/Food-Pron/DSC00270/810207761_gHDtu-L.jpg

Ok, here I've added cowl slaw, Feta cheese.
http://drp-photography.smugmug.com/Food/Food-Pron/DSC00271/810207784_sRBna-L.jpg

Man So farking good, I'm sure glad I took everyone's ADVICE!

Derek
03-14-2010, 07:04 PM
And yes that's a second spongy thingy, LOL!

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
03-14-2010, 07:08 PM
Pork, properly smoked for pulling, shrinks to about half the original weight in the process of breaking down connective tissues and rendering out fat.

Looks like you hit the nail on there head right there. Congratulations.

sdb25
03-14-2010, 07:11 PM
Oh that looks good! You definitely have a nice butt there!

smittysbar
03-14-2010, 07:26 PM
looks good

Derek
03-14-2010, 07:27 PM
Thanks guys, Even my 2 1/2 year ole nephew loved it so much he didn't even mind the heat from the habenero flavor bbq sauce I made.

(Side Note )

First we didn't give him any and we made a burger for him, he didn't eat and said he wanted what we had.

We said No because it was spicy hot ( but he only knew what normal hot was and he started his crying spirt, so we gave him a tiny piece.

He then wanted more and grab a bunch ate it. And he wanted more, so we gave him a sandwich. and he ate that with no ill effects....

jonboy
03-14-2010, 07:34 PM
That's a really nice first cook. I wish mine had turned out that well.:clap2:
Make sure you write down exactly what you did so next time it will turn out just as good.
jon

Derek
03-14-2010, 07:51 PM
That's a really nice first cook. I wish mine had turned out that well.:clap2:
Make sure you write down exactly what you did so next time it will turn out just as good.
jonTrust me JonBoy I've wrote everything down and printed it out, However everyone agreed it could have smoked for 2 to 3 mores ( but it was tender as heck )....

landarc
03-14-2010, 08:08 PM
Looks like you nailed it Derek. Great looking sandwich. You need to pay just a tad more attention to details though, I am of the belief that a large plastic pad on the bottom of the butt blocks run penetration and bark development. By the way, I like to rub the entire cut of meat, not just the top. Still, you got the hard part right.

Derek
03-14-2010, 08:17 PM
Looks like you nailed it Derek. Great looking sandwich. You need to pay just a tad more attention to details though, I am of the belief that a large plastic pad on the bottom of the butt blocks run penetration and bark development. By the way, I like to rub the entire cut of meat, not just the top. Still, you got the hard part right.Thanks LandArc, It was very tasty indeed and it was gone in 60 seconds it seemed like.

Yes I do have to pay more attention to the details, but summer time is here and I got a lot of time to practice :)

btcg
03-14-2010, 08:18 PM
Good job Derek!

It rained here in Maryland all weekend, so after injecting and rubbing, I was forced to throw my 9 pounder in the oven. It's been in since 10:30 AM, and was sitting at 178 degrees when I checked it at 8:45 PM. Smells amazing, and hopin it'll be done between 10 & 11 PM.

Derek
03-14-2010, 08:20 PM
Good job Derek!

It rained here in Maryland all weekend, so after injecting and rubbing, I was forced to throw my 9 pounder in the oven. It's been in since 10:30 AM, and was sitting at 178 degrees when I checked it at 8:45 PM. Smells amazing, and hopin it'll be done between 10 & 11 PM.I got faith in you man, I think it will turn out well.

Sorry about the bum weather you are having.

btcg
03-14-2010, 08:32 PM
I got faith in you man, I think it will turn out well.

Yeah, I can't catch a break. Here's what Feb looked like here:

http://12.16.133.152/storm1.jpg

Mound to left of umbrella is my Vermont Castings grill

http://12.16.133.152/storm2.jpg

Look at the bottom of the sign: you can just see my white picket fence to the right.

Been a steady downpour of tain here since friday night. I'm thinking of building an Ark.

;)

Derek
03-14-2010, 08:33 PM
Yeah, I can't catch a break. Here's what Feb looked like here:

http://12.16.133.152/storm1.jpg

Mound to left of umbrella is my Vermont Castings grill

http://12.16.133.152/storm2.jpg

Look at the bottom of the sign: you can just see my white picket fence to the right.

Been a steady downpour of tain here since friday night. I'm thinking of building an Ark.

;)I wish you good weather in the future and the best of luck man.

Meat Burner
03-14-2010, 09:08 PM
Derek, looks like it all came out well. Bark looks awsome!!! Congrats brother!

jeffjenkins1
03-14-2010, 09:13 PM
That is one awesome looking pork butt!

Jeff

tjj
03-14-2010, 09:26 PM
Derek

Just got back on here. Wanted to see how the cook finished up. Looks great.:thumb: I'm sure the "samiches" were tasty, tasty.:wink:

bigabyte
03-14-2010, 11:01 PM
Glad to see it turned out to be a success. Now you'll be hooked on Q for sure.:cool:

btcg
03-14-2010, 11:38 PM
I got faith in you man, I think it will turn out well.

Okay.

Used an injection of:

1 cup apple juice
1/4 cup water
1 tblsp worshtishire
2 tblsp sugar
1 tblsp salt

rubbed with a thick coating of Dizzy Pig (although I may try that white roll-on plastic coat you used sometime :wink: )

Cooked it for 14 hours @ 225 in the oven(it was a 9 pounder)... pulled it when the internal temp was 194 degrees.

MAN, it had a fantastic crust, and pulled apart easily. I put out 2 of my homemade sauces (a red NC sweet & spicy and a SC Mustard & vinegar style), and called my kid & his band upstairs to eat. They devoured it! So, you can do this in an oven. No smoked taste (you could use liquid smoke, I didn't), but fantastic result.

Derek
03-15-2010, 07:50 AM
Thanks guys, I'm trying to decide what other meats to buy right off hand.

I'm thinking ribs & pork belly.,.

peterm
03-15-2010, 09:00 AM
Hey Derek, looks really nice.
I also use a MES and thought I'd share a couple tips. Listen to what it says about not overfilling it with wood. If you add too much, it dries out before it gets a chance to start smoldering, and once it dries out it will never catch in that thing. Better to add it more often and have it do something, than add too much and have a layer of dried wood that prevents anything further from catching (although you can just empty out the wood holder at that time, but you're missing out on smoke opportunity).

I also like to add the wood just a couple minutes before the meat. That way it gets a chance to start smoldering. But if you let a whole cabinet of smoke develop, you just get a face full of smoke when you open it to put the meat in, so no reason to put the wood in too far in advance.

deguerre
03-15-2010, 09:09 AM
Good job Derek! :thumb: So, how did the spongy thingie taste?:becky:

BlkJeep
03-15-2010, 10:22 AM
:rockon: Nice cook derek! Got me wanting some PP for sure! Congrats!

Ron_L
03-15-2010, 10:53 AM
I'm glad that it worked out, Derek! When's the next cook? :-D

Nick@ParkAQ
03-15-2010, 12:29 PM
Looks great. I'm waiting for the after pictures with the toothpics in mouth?
Park it! Grill it! Eat it!

pahutchens
03-15-2010, 01:24 PM
Looks great!
I think its an amazing community here. Looking over the thread you had all sorts of help with experienced Virtual Pit bosses. Thanks for letting us be part of your cook

Derek
03-16-2010, 07:51 AM
Hey Derek, looks really nice.
I also use a MES and thought I'd share a couple tips. Listen to what it says about not overfilling it with wood. If you add too much, it dries out before it gets a chance to start smoldering, and once it dries out it will never catch in that thing. Better to add it more often and have it do something, than add too much and have a layer of dried wood that prevents anything further from catching (although you can just empty out the wood holder at that time, but you're missing out on smoke opportunity).

I also like to add the wood just a couple minutes before the meat. That way it gets a chance to start smoldering. But if you let a whole cabinet of smoke develop, you just get a face full of smoke when you open it to put the meat in, so no reason to put the wood in too far in advance.Good idea Peterm, Do you use an Extension cord?

I'm glad that it worked out, Derek! When's the next cook? :-DThe next one is SOON, i'M THAWING OUT A CHICKEN & CORNISH HENS for the next round. I've got 2 pounds of trimmed pork belly on order and they should be here next Monday!

I'm also doing Ribs this weekend with my lil bro!

Looks great!
I think its an amazing community here. Looking over the thread you had all sorts of help with experienced Virtual Pit bosses. Thanks for letting us be part of your cookYou are correct, there is some really nice people who has helped me out here! And I would like to thank everyone.

jonboy
03-16-2010, 09:07 AM
Do you use an Extension cord?If you use an extension cord make sure it is rated for the electric draw of the unit. Better oversized than not.
jon

Derek
03-16-2010, 09:40 AM
If you use an extension cord make sure it is rated for the electric draw of the unit. Better oversized than not.
jonSo you do use one?

Does the temp or power drop, Where do you buy the extension cords that's rated for electrical use?

I know you can buy them at ace hardware but they're the orange color ones that doesn't have any ratings on them!

jonboy
03-16-2010, 09:53 AM
Derek,
I used a cord until i could get a permanent box installed and decided where i wanted the smoker to sit.
Check you info and see what the amp draw is.
Home depot or lowes will have heavy duty cords.
Look for the older man in the electric dept., explain your situation and let him help.
You want one that is big enough to say run an air conditioner.
It will be more money but it will last a long time.
The longer a cord the heavier it needs to be. (and $$$)
Try to buy one that is close to the length needed.(Dont get a 50' if you only need 20/25')
Don't buy a cord that has a 6 way on the end of it. Those go bad quickly.
If you want to add additional plugs, get an adapter and use it.
jon

peppasawce
03-16-2010, 10:12 AM
Way to go Derek, and by the way Brother, Did you trim off some of the Fat from the Butt or did you keep the fat Pad on...I usually keep my Fat Pad on the bottom of the Butt and let my smoking render that down to some juicy pulled pork goodness!!!! You did very good my friend... Grill -On Dude!!!LOL Peppa

Derek
03-16-2010, 10:25 AM
Derek,
I used a cord until i could get a permanent box installed and decided where i wanted the smoker to sit.
Check you info and see what the amp draw is.
Home depot or lowes will have heavy duty cords.
Look for the older man in the electric dept., explain your situation and let him help.
You want one that is big enough to say run an air conditioner.
It will be more money but it will last a long time.
The longer a cord the heavier it needs to be. (and $$$)
Try to buy one that is close to the length needed.(Dont get a 50' if you only need 20/25')
Don't buy a cord that has a 6 way on the end of it. Those go bad quickly.
If you want to add additional plugs, get an adapter and use it.
jonI will Jon, However I'm finding out that my little mes smoker is TOO FARKING SMALL for the big cuts of meat I want to smoke.

Way to go Derek, and by the way Brother, Did you trim off some of the Fat from the Butt or did you keep the fat Pad on...I usually keep my Fat Pad on the bottom of the Butt and let my smoking render that down to some juicy pulled pork goodness!!!! You did very good my friend... Grill -On Dude!!!LOL PeppaYup I actually left that in there, I was too lazy too remove.

:)

jonboy
03-16-2010, 11:57 AM
I'm finding out that my little mes smoker is TOO FARKING SMALL for the big cuts of meat I want to smoke.

Start saving now....:idea:
http://www.cookshackfasteddy.com/

You have official become a brethren....displaying the needs for a larger smoker. From now on as you drive down the road you will see containers and think..."I can use that for a smoker"

Enjoy the addiction,:-D
jon

Derek
03-16-2010, 12:54 PM
Start saving now....:idea:
http://www.cookshackfasteddy.com/

You have official become a brethren....displaying the needs for a larger smoker. From now on as you drive down the road you will see containers and think..."I can use that for a smoker"

Enjoy the addiction,:-D
jonThank you very much Jon, And I've been doing that since spring has sprung.

Soon I will have a UDS as a Stick UDS....