PDA

View Full Version : Finding Good Tri-Tip in DFW..Please Help

DFW Big Tex
03-14-2010, 07:23 AM
Several months back I found three Tri-Tips in my neighborhood Kroger one very early morning. I had never had a Tri-Tip before and had only read about their goodness here at the BBQ Brethren. I grabbed all three up and ran to the checkout. Man they were good. Did I say good? I meant really FARKING GOOOOD with just some Granulated Garlic, Cracked Black Pepper and large grain Sea Salt and smoke. Even better was the fact that they were ready to eat FAST!

Yesterday I asked the butcher at Kroger how come I had never seen Tri-Tip before or since in his meat section. He told me that the Tri-Tip is a California cut of beef and they just don't sell well in Texas where Brisket is king. He told me the Tri-Tips I purchased were something of a fluke and were a result of my Kroger receiving an incorrect shipment. He mentioned that the only place he thinks get Tri-Tips on a regular schedule here in the DFW metroplex was Costco. He said Costco had them because they were a California based company.

My question for the my DFW based Brethren is this: Do any of you get this incredible cut of meat on a a regular basis and where do you get it? Or is there something else that is a close substitute that they might have on hand here?

Thanks to all in advance.

Baby Back Maniac
03-14-2010, 02:17 PM
Funny, I read your title and clicked on this to let you know you can get great tri-tip from costco. ;) But you already knew that.

thillin
03-14-2010, 03:47 PM
I can usually find them at Albertsons. But they're usually $4-5/lb.?

DFW Big Tex
03-14-2010, 03:51 PM
Thanks hogsfan...I am not a member of Costco but looks like I will be leaving Sams soon unless there is another Tri-Tip source here. I am very happy Tri-Tips are at Costco though. The butcher at Kroger wasn't sure that Costco had them but he had heard that they did.

DFW Big Tex
03-14-2010, 03:55 PM
I tried a couple of Albertsons with no luck your store must have a Tri-Tip fan doing the ordering....I think I paid $4 something a pound the time I found them at Kroger.

Baby Back Maniac
03-14-2010, 04:47 PM
We've been Sam's members for years (I'm originally from Arkansas if you can't tell by the name) and have recently begun gravitating from Sam's to Costco. So far, I'm very happy with the meat department. The tritip is one example, but also Costco takes the membranes off the baby backs (or perhaps I've just been lucky twice) and seems to carry more seafood. They also have trimmed rib roast every time I've been there while Sam's seems to only carry that during the holidays.

Of course, my experience is with the Sam's (off George Bush) and costco (off 75) in Plano. It may be different in other parts of the metroplex.

DFW Big Tex
03-15-2010, 12:39 AM
I am headed to Costco tomorrow for sure now. Sounds like the meat department is worth membership alone....UMMMMM Tri Tip!

King
03-15-2010, 07:11 AM
Costco is where I get my Tri-tip from. It must be seasonal because I didn't see any there the other day.

He said Costco had them because they were a California based company.

By the way, Costco is based in the state of Washington. Cali just has more locations than any othere state because most of those stores used to be the old Price Club stores. I finally got to use worthless info from my school stock report project...sweet!