PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Freight Weedburner question

MilitantSquatter
03-13-2010, 08:23 PM
I'm looking at the two weedburners from Harbor Freight

The $24.99 model doesn't have push button ignition but in the descpription it notes that it adapts to the new style tanks with the overfill protection (OPD valve)

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91033

The $29.99 model with push button igniter does not note this in the description

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91033

Can anyone confirm that $29.99 model works with the new style tanks ? I don't want to get it and find that it doesn't fit properly.

Thanks !

mbshop
03-13-2010, 08:29 PM
they should and will work on the new opd tanks. it would make no sense to sell them if they didn't. many have them with no issues.

BadHorsieBBQ
03-13-2010, 08:29 PM
They both do.

Kevin
03-13-2010, 08:33 PM
Mine works with OPD valve tanks. All of my tanks (some new, some retrofitted with OPD valves) are capable of using either the old or new style fittings. The new style is threaded on the outside of the tank valve, the old style is threaded on the inside.

MilitantSquatter
03-13-2010, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the confirmation guys...

I'm a kind of a stickler for this stuff as I work for a national competitor and we're constantly ensuring our printed and online descriptions and attributes are current. We don't presently sell the import model as this type of product is not our core business.

Frank Sacco
03-13-2010, 08:35 PM
Vinny I have the push button ignition, yes it's compatible to the new tanks.

MilitantSquatter
03-13-2010, 08:36 PM
Thanks Frank.

Bbq Bubba
03-13-2010, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the confirmation guys...

I'm a kind of a stickler for this stuff as I work for a national competitor and we're constantly ensuring our printed and online descriptions and attributes are current. We don't presently sell the import model as this type of product is not our core business.

You mean you don't sell jap scrap? :becky:

Midnight Smoke
03-13-2010, 09:54 PM
I'm looking at the two weedburners from Harbor Freight

The $24.99 model doesn't have push button ignition but in the descpription it notes that it adapts to the new style tanks with the overfill protection (OPD valve) Can anyone confirm that $29.99 model works with the new style tanks ? I don't want to get it and find that it doesn't fit properly.

I need to get me a Weed Burner too.

Question Vinny, unless I am reading something wrong, I use very little Propane.

When you ask about "New Style" When my tank runs empty I just swap the tank out with a new one, cheaper here than a refill. With that said even if you had a old tank, could you just swap the tanks and get a new style?

I know 1 of my tanks hook up was different I assumed it was an old style, I just took it in and got a new full tank and the connection was different.

This was in the last year or so, are there even newer tanks now?

MilitantSquatter
03-13-2010, 10:03 PM
no.. not that I'm aware of..

I think all the new style tanks have the three tipped valve handle.

I trade in my empty tanks for another filled one. I don't use gas much though.. Maybe 1-2 tanks a year if I use the gasser for a quick cook.

Kevin
03-13-2010, 10:13 PM
I need to get me a Weed Burner too.

Question Vinny, unless I am reading something wrong, I use very little Propane.

When you ask about "New Style" When my tank runs empty I just swap the tank out with a new one, cheaper here than a refill. With that said even if you had a old tank, could you just swap the tanks and get a new style?

I know 1 of my tanks hook up was different I assumed it was an old style, I just took it in and got a new full tank and the connection was different.

This was in the last year or so, are there even newer tanks now?

It has been my experience that, here in my area, the new style OPD valves are all backward compatible with the older style fittings. Many tank exchange places just took the old style in for exchange at no cost to the customer. Menards (a regional chain) charged $4.00. I have several 30 pound tanks that are not compatible with the exchange process in my area, so I need to have them refilled. My propane dealer (He does resemble Hank Hill BTW) retrofitted my old tanks for $15.00 each.

Crazy Harry
03-13-2010, 10:14 PM
HF will cycle the weed burners on coupon sales for 14.99 if you can wait.