PDA

View Full Version : rain and paint flaking on a Weber kettle?

ejmiller
03-13-2010, 03:16 PM
I'm sorry if this has been covered already, but I really want to figure out what I did wrong.

I've had my Weber kettle (22") for a while now and one time noticed some loose paint flakes on the lid after I grilled in the rain. There were just a few so I scraped them off and kept using it. Recently I grilled in the rain again and it happened again, but much worse (top and bottom). I scraped it again (probably should have taken pictures first), but now I'm wondering if it's going to happen the next time I use it. I love wood smoke, but I don't want paint smoke (or flakes/chips in the food).

Any advice on how to fix it and avoid it in the future?

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
03-13-2010, 03:18 PM
I have used my kettle and WSM in the rain many times and never had anything remotely like that happen. I would call Weber. i bet they will take care of you and will be very interested in what you are reporting.

bigabyte
03-13-2010, 03:18 PM
I've cooked in the rain with both my kettles and WSM's and never had this happen.:noidea: Can't wait to hear the suggestions.

Baby Back Maniac
03-13-2010, 03:19 PM
It's not paint. Weber uses a baked on porcelain enable coating that never flakes. It's actually dried up grease residue. Happens with all weber grills.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
03-13-2010, 03:21 PM
Are you talking about the outside or inside? I was assuming outside.

bigabyte
I have had flakes of residue on the inside...if that's what you're talking about then that is normal. Just scrape t off before cooking (I use a ball of crumbled up foil). If' it's on the outside, then I have no idea.

Brian in Maine
If it is actually the paint, go with the call to Weber. I would bet that you would have a new lid fast. And with no hassle.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
03-13-2010, 03:24 PM
What Chris says. ^^^^^^

ejmiller
03-13-2010, 03:24 PM
thank you for all of the quick replies

it is on the inside

I didn't even think about it being residue (it looked like really shiny paint flakes). Sounds like I just need to clean it better and more often ...

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
03-13-2010, 03:25 PM
thank you for all of the quick replies

it is on the inside

I didn't even think about it being residue (it looked like really shiny paint flakes). Sounds like I just need to clean it better and more often ...

I think it is creosote. Do you control the temps with the top vent instead of the bottom?

Baby Back Maniac
03-13-2010, 03:25 PM
It's not paint. The lids are not painted.

What you are experiencing is VERY common.

Check this out...

http://www.weber.com/support/faq/faq.aspx?id=2

Hope this helps.

Vince B
03-13-2010, 03:29 PM
It's not paint. Weber uses a baked on porcelain enable coating that never flakes. It's actually dried up grease residue. Happens with all weber grills.

This is exactly what it is. I have had this exact issue with my wsm every time I have used it in the rain. I have found that on the next cook if I do not clean the lid at least, it starts flaking bad. Just give it a good cleaning and it will be fine. I have actually used oven cleaner on my kettle and it cleans up like new! My wsm is way over due for a good cleaning. Vince

Bluesman
03-13-2010, 03:31 PM
We're suppose to clean these cookers :doh::doh: I thought the whole idea was to drink beer and get them dirty :thumb:

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
03-13-2010, 03:32 PM
It might be due to the rain cooling the metal thus shrinking it enough to promote the separation of the grease/smoke layer which you might not otherwise notice.

ejmiller
03-13-2010, 03:56 PM
hogsfan, the thing on the Weber website describes it exactly -- although I don't understand this part

"To prevent future build-up, after every grilling session, while the grill lid is warm—not hot—wipe it with paper towels or a mild soap-and-water solution."

when does grilling season end?

aquablue22
03-13-2010, 03:58 PM
It's not paint. Weber uses a baked on porcelain enable coating that never flakes. It's actually dried up grease residue. Happens with all Weber grills.

This is right on the money, if it is inside it's just residue, scrap it off and move on.........

Dave Russell
03-13-2010, 04:19 PM
A short handled brass bristled brush will work in case you forget to clean it before it starts flaking.

I've never noticed the connection between the rain and the flaking, but I don't doubt it. It makes sense that it could make it a lot worse, and come to think of it, I believe I had a bunch of flaking in my wsm after finishing the previous cook with some rain.

beerguy
03-13-2010, 04:52 PM
Glad we got that settled. The season never ends, we just have a few off days!

Harmening
03-13-2010, 05:14 PM
hogsfan, the thing on the Weber website describes it exactly -- although I don't understand this part

"To prevent future build-up, after every grilling session, while the grill lid is warm—not hot—wipe it with paper towels or a mild soap-and-water solution."

when does grilling season end?

They said grilling 'session', not season. It's funny, though, that you mention season. My son and I were watching a commercial on TV this morning. It had some guy that came out of winter hiding not knowing what was going on. One of the people on the commercial shouted "someone get this man a hamburger". Then the commercial said something like "now that it's grilling season"...... My son looked at me all confused and asked "Dad, since when does grilling have a season?"

ejmiller
03-13-2010, 05:27 PM
I can't clean my grill and I can't read ... I'm on a roll ...

At least I just ate a good skirt steak (off my much-cleaner-than-it-used-to-be grill)

Baby Back Maniac
03-13-2010, 08:09 PM
I can't clean my grill and I can't read ... I'm on a roll ...

At least I just ate a good skirt steak (off my much-cleaner-than-it-used-to-be grill)

As long as you can still cook awesome food, do you REALLY even need to be able to read or clean? ;)

Harmening
03-13-2010, 08:55 PM
As long as you can still cook awesome food, do you REALLY even need to be able to read or clean? ;)

Exactly. If you feed the right people, they'll do the reading and cleaning for you. :twisted: