PDA

View Full Version : 20lbs of butts but which rub?

cruzmisl
03-13-2010, 02:57 PM
Hi All,
I got some butts for a party tomorrow and just got some plowboys yard bird and Cimarron Doc's rib rub. Wondering which would be best for the butts since I haven't used either before. An initial tasting of yard bird seems salty but maybe its just me.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Joe

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
03-13-2010, 03:16 PM
If you just tasted the Yardbird straight out of the bottle, you will find it tastes different once it has been smoked/cooked. It is great on pork.

I don't know anything about the other rub, but the same should apply.

Bluesman
03-13-2010, 03:17 PM
Let's see 20 Butts, how about 20 rubs....Oops 20#s. Try em both.

cruzmisl
03-13-2010, 03:30 PM
Let's see 20 Butts, how about 20 rubs....Oops 20#s. Try em both.

Thats why I love this forum :clap2::becky:

Maybe I'll do that. By the time company comes over though and they're ready I'll be half gassed and will probably mix it all up anyway :)

Bbq Bubba
03-13-2010, 03:37 PM
They are both excellent with pork! :thumb:

cruzmisl
03-13-2010, 04:43 PM
Thanks Bubba I'll let you know how I make out since both came from you :-D

beerguy
03-13-2010, 04:47 PM
Plowboys is great, and if you can get some of of Dan's 3EYZS rub you will be all set. I use 3EYZS on everything, including my scrambled eggs. Had some this morning. Dan is also a member here so he is easy to find. Good luck with your cook!

(cant forget Dizzy Pig dizzy Dust also, good chit)

Ron_L
03-13-2010, 04:51 PM
Yardbird is great on butts! You could go with a medium coat of YB and then a light coat of Doc's for added sweetness.

cruzmisl
03-13-2010, 05:04 PM
I've used 3EYZ before and its great stuff. You can't beat that on slow smoked chicken thighs. Actually, I think that stuff would make a work boot taste good. I've also used Dizzy Dust but my issue with them is the price. Dizzy dust in bulk is $14.50/lb whereas Plowboys is $6/lb. I don't mind paying a bit extra but more than double?????? Now I'm not knocking their product because its really good stuff but I have a hard time with the price.

I guess tomorrow will be the litmus test since the last butt I did was with Dizzy Pig coarse. It will be a bark-a-thon tomorrow.

Bbq Bubba
03-13-2010, 05:13 PM
Thanks Bubba I'll let you know how I make out since both came from you :-D

:thumb:

Yardbird is great on butts! You could go with a medium coat of YB and then a light coat of Doc's for added sweetness.

Another secret revealed. :becky:

Woodreaux BBQ
03-13-2010, 08:09 PM
Light Chipotle then heavy YB. bought 40 pounds at end of Jan and down to bag of YB and Bovine.

Plowboy
03-13-2010, 08:20 PM

That's what I used to do on ribs. The two work great together.