PDA

View Full Version : whiskey chips

deathamphetamine
03-13-2010, 10:00 AM
anyone ever try these. just picked them up, thinking about trying them with a pork loin a butt and ribs, mixed with cherry perhaps?

cardiac_cadet002
03-13-2010, 11:49 AM
I've never tried that brand but I have used the Jack Daniels brand of chipped barrels and they are awesome. I dont know if they would compare.

MilitantSquatter
03-13-2010, 12:00 PM
May be another whiskey mfr. who supplies the barrels, but I also wouldn't be too surprised if these are private labeled and the same chips as the JD.

WW Wood Inc. sells the Western Brand and the JD chips

http://www.woodinc.com/index.html

deathamphetamine
03-13-2010, 12:58 PM
Well they smell pretty good. Just threw on some more meat. added some cherry to the mix. The butt has been on for 2 hours.:becky:

bigabyte
03-13-2010, 01:21 PM
Looking good!:cool:

deguerre
03-13-2010, 01:23 PM
Looking good! You are going to HAVE to try them on beef. Especially a rib roast.

trekmstr
03-13-2010, 01:28 PM
i have used the J.D. brand also and really liked them. odds are the only time you will have a bad experience is with mesquite. if you use a very Small amount it is ok but still a very strong flavor. i have never had a case of over smoking with anything else.
I'm curious about making a small batch of your own with some plain oak chips and a little whiskey / water soak...

deguerre
03-13-2010, 01:30 PM
i have used the J.D. brand also and really liked them. odds are the only time you will have a bad experience is with mesquite. if you use a very Small amount it is ok but still a very strong flavor. i have never had a case of over smoking with anything else.
I'm curious about making a small batch of your own with some plain oak chips and a little whiskey / water soak...
You mean, drink the whisky and then pee on the oak chips?:becky:

BIG ALAN
03-13-2010, 02:19 PM
May be another whiskey mfr. who supplies the barrels, but I also wouldn't be too surprised if these are private labeled and the same chips as the JD.

WW Wood Inc. sells the Western Brand and the JD chips

http://www.woodinc.com/index.html

Since Grillpro appears to be a Canadian company, the chips are most likely from Canadian whiskey. Jack Daniel's, an American (Tennessee) whiskey, can only use their barrells once, so when they're rendered to chunks or chips, the charcoal-whiskey aromatics should be stronger when grilling or short smoking. I don't know for sure, but if Canadian whiskey barrels are multiple use barrels (as in Scotland), they may be less aromatic when rendered for chips or chunks. I've got a 3 year old half bag of JD chips left, and when I opened the sealed outside storage vessel I'm amazed at the great aromatic smell. I will use the JD for a large steak or tri-tip grill-smoke.
Remember however, once that whiskey aromatic is burned off in your smoker, you're back to regular oak.
Here on the left coast, the Kalifornia wine industry has begun selling oak wine barrel chunks, chips, and slats for BBQ use. Just another way to sell what they formerly threw away. Just a thought.