PDA

View Full Version : Quick Leg of Lamb questions

JDV
03-12-2010, 05:41 PM
I'm thinking about maybe trying a leg of lamb tomorrow on the smoker, for the 1st time. From what little I found, it looks like this should be cooked to doneness, not tenderness, right?

What's a good temp to shoot for with smoked leg of lamb?

Thanks!

justjack
03-12-2010, 05:52 PM
Medium rare for lamb is 145 F. Medium, my families preference for lamb, is 160 F. It really depends on the lamb, sometimes it will be a bit chewy if not cooked to at least medium. The other thing to consider is the family, in my case they all love beef to still be mooing, but with lamb they prefer it pink rather than with visible blood. Up to you, but those are the temps to work with.
Enjoy, lamb comes up a treat.

The BBQ QB
03-12-2010, 05:57 PM
Bone in or Bone out?

JDV
03-12-2010, 06:02 PM
I was thinking Bone in.

So somewhere in the 150s sounds like a good middle of the road temp, eh?

Any ideas on time for a roughly average leg of lamb? 3-4 hours?

SirPorkaLot
03-12-2010, 06:27 PM
here is a leg of lamb I did: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69681&highlight=john+lamb

One of my favorite lamb recipes

The BBQ QB
03-12-2010, 09:52 PM
Here's the text record from my last Bone-In lamb leg.

Set the Grill up for a medium hot fire and Indirect stabilized at 450 F. No smokewood.

Lamb On. Cook at 450 for 15 minutes, baste and turn for another 15. At the same time reset the vents for a 350 target. Monitor until stabilized at 350ish. Baste 2 more times.
Cook to 145F in the thickest part of the leg. About 1.5 hours total cook time.

Remove and let sit for 15 minutes under aluminum foil. Cut/serve & enjoy.
This was very tender Lamb and I definitely noticed the earthy hints from the Fresh spices, but the lamb didn’t blow me away like I thought it might. Next time I’ll cut slits into the meat to allow the rub to penetrate further.

This is the rub/Marinade I used:

I like a lot of Garlic with a lamb roast so I began with 12 cloves a handful of fresh spices, Cilantro, Basil, Rosemary (A must for Lamb), and Oregano, Salt & pepper, A cup of Lemon Juice and EVOO.

Mixed the whole shebang together and pressed it onto the entire leg.

I liked the target for Bone-In at 145 in the thickest part of the leg. It allow the meat to cook all the way up to well done at the thinnest part of the leg. In other words you get meat at all the good doneness....es???

I like to Make Lamb Gyros out of some of the shank too.

Good Luck.

Mike D