PDA

View Full Version : How long do you cook...

markrvp
03-12-2010, 10:39 AM
I'm going to be smoking all weekend for my Boy Scout troop on our campout. In addition to brisket and ribs, I thought I'd throw on some Turkey legs and ABTs.

At 225-250, how long does it normally take for the turkey legs and for the ABTs?

BobBrisket
03-12-2010, 11:14 AM
Those Scouts are gonna be eating like Kings. Abt's-go by sight. They'll go about 1-1.5 hours. Probably even less. What kinda pit you gonna be using? That will help us too.
T-Legs--2-3 hours. The size of the legs will determine this for the most part. I've made some real scrawny ones, indirect, in 1.5 - 2 hours. The big old Cave Man Clubs can go the distance though.
Have fun. Sounds like a great time for the boys.

peppasawce
03-12-2010, 11:23 AM
Honor the Troop Ahh those bot Scout days....Times have really changed since the days of Wieners and Sm ores heheh!!! Y'all have fun!!!Let those guys help ya Cook too it will be fun for those guys!!! Peppa

J_Don
03-12-2010, 11:27 AM
Do they offer a badge for Smoking/Grilling. The Cub/Boy Scout days were some of my best times and memories. Good luck and most of all be safe and have fun. Wish I were there.

Babyboomerboy
03-12-2010, 11:42 AM
I remember those days. I spent them with Davy Crocket and Roy Rogers.

Westexbbq
03-12-2010, 11:56 AM
I remember those days. I spent them with Davy Crocket and Roy Rogers.

Me too,
not to mention The Cisco Kid, Gene Autry and Wild Bill Hickock.

Sounds like the Troop is in for a real feast and Bob's reply is spot on.
The Pack and Troops I was in both in Texas and Oklahoma had some great leaders but can't recall anyone with a smoker.

Good luck on your cook.

markrvp
03-12-2010, 11:57 AM
Those Scouts are gonna be eating like Kings. Abt's-go by sight. They'll go about 1-1.5 hours. Probably even less. What kinda pit you gonna be using? That will help us too.

I'm using two smokers, an ECB and a Great Smoky Mountain Gasser. I'll do the Turkey Legs in the ECB and the ABTs in the gasser.

The gasser is cool on a campout because I can use it like a convection oven to bake breads and casseroles as well. We'll do pigs in a blanket one morning. I'm cooking 6 meals for 24 people :eek:

speedrcer1
03-12-2010, 08:21 PM
Do they offer a badge for Smoking/Grilling. The Cub/Boy Scout days were some of my best times and memories. Good luck and most of all be safe and have fun. Wish I were there.
Having 2 sons in scouts I checked, alas not even an outdoor cooking one. Just a basic "cooking" merit badge.

Kevin
03-12-2010, 08:26 PM
I like to brine Turkey legs with some Tender Quick in the brine. Turns em pink and gives them a slight ham flavor.

Learnin Querve
03-12-2010, 09:47 PM
I guess I'm curious why you're cooking for them? Is this a special occasion campout?

Chris

thomasjurisd
03-12-2010, 11:08 PM
Back in my day we had the metal sleeve on the belt for the cooking merit badge. Glad to hear you are taking care of things in Granberry. I got my Eagle back in 1990 in Friendswood, Troop 445. We ate boiled hotdogs mostly but I can remember the first time I ever had Trash Can chicken was at a campout at Bazos Bend State park...the scoutmaster loved dutch oven cooking for the most part but on this outing tried his hand at trash can chicken using an old steel bomb case as the can. The other thing I remember from that trip that to this day has stuck with me, the Eurkea Timberline Tents will withstand any weather Texas can throw at them!