PDA

View Full Version : WoodChip question?

Derek
03-12-2010, 09:13 AM
This is a off topic wood chip question and I felt it did'nt belong in my mes mega questions thread.

Ok how do you guys store your wood chips? Do you guys leave your wood chips in a 5 gallon drum soaked in water when your ready to add your chips?

Since the smoker manual said to add a cup at a time, So I was thinking I could store my chips in a 5 gallon drum in water.

Any thoughts?

Lake Dogs
03-12-2010, 10:01 AM
Personal opinion; I wouldnt soak them, ever, for any length of time. The reason is
that it's almost impossible to get a good sweet blue smoke if you do. This (blue smoke)
is what's preferred and doesn't create creosote (on the meat). Also, the dampness
can douse the fire, which you want clean and hot. Also, I would add less at a time
than any manual tells you. Dont choke the fire.

You'll go through a lot more wood chips this way, but you'll end up with meat that
you enjoy eating the outside (bark) vs. a creosote coated mess.

1FUNVET
03-12-2010, 10:08 AM
Personal opinion; I wouldnt soak them, ever, for any length of time. The reason is
that it's almost impossible to get a good sweet blue smoke if you do. This (blue smoke)
is what's preferred and doesn't create creosote (on the meat). Also, the dampness
can douse the fire, which you want clean and hot. Also, I would add less at a time
than any manual tells you. Dont choke the fire.

You'll go through a lot more wood chips this way, but you'll end up with meat that
you enjoy eating the outside (bark) vs. a creosote coated mess.

Yep, what he said. :-D

Big_T_BBQ
03-12-2010, 10:11 AM
I keep chips in a bag in the garage and when I'm going to use them I let them sit in a 50/50 mix of water and cheap red wine for 20 minutes or so. Then I take them out and set them on a town for 5 minutes or so then throw them on. I supplement chunks with chips.

deguerre
03-12-2010, 10:16 AM
I keep chips in a bag in the garage and when I'm going to use them I let them sit in a 50/50 mix of water and cheap red wine for 20 minutes or so. Then I take them out and set them on a town for 5 minutes or so then throw them on. I supplement chunks with chips.
I experimented with leaving some wood chips in water for several days and they started fermenting. The smell was not unpleasant but I would not have trusted using them in food preperation. I agree with the above 20 minute soak (thereabouts depending on the size of the chips). This works well using gas as a fuel source and I see no reason why the electric should be any different.

G$
03-12-2010, 11:00 AM
Bear in mind guys, the OP is using an electric cabinet smoker. Not sure if that changes the equation here.

Big_T_BBQ
03-12-2010, 11:19 AM
Bear in mind guys, the OP is using an electric cabinet smoker. Not sure if that changes the equation here.

Good point. My above post is for charcoal. I've never used an electric smoker

ComputerMike
03-12-2010, 11:35 AM
I don't soak mine any more but I'm all charcoal.

ricksegers
03-12-2010, 11:51 AM
I own an electric smoker and only soak chips for a few (about 15) minutes. It's mainly just to keep them from all burning a one time.

tommykendall
03-12-2010, 12:22 PM
My advice is to get rid of the chips and use small chunks - no soaking.

landarc
03-12-2010, 12:58 PM
I store everything in bags in the garage, I like to keep stuff dry until use. If I had an electric, I would soak for 10 to 15 minutes if I had small chips. I agree with TK, small chunks are better.

Derek
03-12-2010, 02:44 PM
Thank you guys, I'll take the advice and I'll go ahead and do that when I get more experienced.

aquablue22
03-12-2010, 04:43 PM
Are you using a Masrerbuilt?. When i use my Masterbuilt I soak my chips for about 1/2 hour before starting the cook and then drain them for the duration. I also do this when i smoke of my Weber s, I don't really like chunks because they tend to add heat that need to be considered.