PDA

View Full Version : Steak on the offset?

eclipse507
03-12-2010, 12:05 AM
I'm new to the whole offset firebox, grill, and I'm wondering if I can cook steaks on it? I know i could put charcoal in the main grill body, but can i grill them using the side firebox. I'm not sure how the indirect heat would work.

Any tips or thoughts would be appreciated.

T-Man
03-12-2010, 03:44 AM
Usually you can grill on the fire box side if you have a grate/ rack etc. ......

jonboy
03-12-2010, 05:49 AM
Build a big fire in your offset box. Get a clean burn going and allow the grates to heat up. You can slow smoke roast the steaks or grill them with high heat near the fire or a combo of both. Baste your steaks with a garlic herb butter, sea salt and cracked pepper.
You could use a cast iron pan for the steaks also. :)
Some offsets have a grate over the fire for direct grilling.
Start your fire 30-45 mins in advance of when you want to cook.
jon

Cracklin Jeorge
03-12-2010, 05:58 AM
I've smoked some big old Delmonico cuts on my COS. Freaked out my dinner guest since they were on when they arrived and for a good 50 minutes after they were there. When we sat down to eat my friend woody takes his first bite lifts his arms skyward and says "Oh Thank You". I gave him a puzzled look and he explained he thought he was going to have to chew on shoe leather and tell me it was good.

My point is you can smoke a steak. not any steak as they may be very tough. Steaks cut from a Rib Roast (delmonicos), and fillets would be safe choices.

blues_n_cues
03-12-2010, 07:08 AM
we marindade ribeyes in balsamic vin. w/ spices then stick them in the main chamber & smoke to 135 & wrap & rest for 10-15 mins w/ shrooms & grilled onions. spoon cutting tender w/ a nice smoke ring.

early mornin' smokin'
03-12-2010, 08:21 AM
reverse sear!!! take them to about 115 internal, than sear them over the fire, should come out close to perfect med rare

tmkshew
03-12-2010, 10:52 AM
I'm new to the whole offset firebox, grill, and I'm wondering if I can cook steaks on it? I know i could put charcoal in the main grill body, but can i grill them using the side firebox. I'm not sure how the indirect heat would work.

Any tips or thoughts would be appreciated.

Can you take a picture of the grill. I need a visual to be able to help you out.

eclipse507
03-12-2010, 04:51 PM
Its a Chargriller(yes i know cheap)..........But so far i love it, with the SFB.
http://www.chargriller.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=35&osCsid=9de75b36539a82cc242d6841e77c9c87