PDA

View Full Version : baby backs from hell

suprfast
03-11-2010, 10:04 PM
I picked up a pair of BBs from costco today and they were by far the biggest bbs ive seen. Im assuming their size had something to do with this but i set my smoker via stoker to 250°. I smoked for two hours, foiled for 45 minutes, removed and sauced for another hours and 20minutes and they were sitting at 135°. WTF. These are not frozen and did not see the fridge after i bought them from costco. They were on the counter warming up from costco fridge temps for the entire duration of heating up the smoker(roughly 45 minutes) plus the time it took to get home from costco 20minutes.

Has anyone else ran into a stubborn rack of bb?

kris

Bacchus
03-11-2010, 10:07 PM
I usually go 5 hours or more, for average sized back ribs.

landarc
03-11-2010, 10:12 PM
Yes, it happens, the size probably made a difference. But, sometimes it is just a certain cut of meat.

Meat Burner
03-11-2010, 10:21 PM
kris, you cannot go by temps on ribs. Do a search about when ribs are done as there is a lot of info on this forum. Temp is not something to go by. Good luck bro.

sdb25
03-11-2010, 10:37 PM
Agree, dont follow temps. Thats why people use the bend test, and such. Stiil, 4 hours for bb's at that temp should have been close. How were they?

Ron_L
03-11-2010, 10:43 PM
3 hours at 250 isn't enough for average size baby backs. I usually by racks that are between 2.25 and 2.5 lbs and they take 4 - 4 1/2 hours at 240.

suprfast
03-11-2010, 11:02 PM
3 hours at 250 isn't enough for average size baby backs. I usually by racks that are between 2.25 and 2.5 lbs and they take 4 - 4 1/2 hours at 240.

My above times would have equated to 4 hours 5 minutes. I dont really go by temps since they are hard to keep a probe in such a small piece of meat. Ive cooked many ribs, just finally found my match.

I havent tried them yet, but i guess ill have lunch for tomorrow. I gave up since i had a calculus test(apparently my math was off on my food) and my brain was fried and hungry. Went to a local cafe for just a little something
kris

Bacchus
03-11-2010, 11:08 PM
I don't think they were cooked long enough, even at 4hrs.

Midnight Smoke
03-11-2010, 11:09 PM
Guess you need to try them! If they are better than you think I would check your Thermometer. If you sauced them for and hour and 20 minutes I would think the sauce would have burned pretty bad.

suprfast
03-11-2010, 11:15 PM
I have my drum set up with two racks and a weber lid. This would put the rack about 31" above the flame(ive done this height plenty of times) and ive never burned with my sauce. Its a home brew, so its not a super duper sugar based commercial one.

Gonna slice into one right now. Im guessing it was just larger than i thought(thanks costco for the largest everything you can buy) and didnt cook it long enough. Oh well, just wanted to rant because my stomach needed Que.
kris

sdb25
03-11-2010, 11:44 PM
Eat 'em and enjoy. We can all be monday morning pitmasters, but bbq takes practice... tasty, tasty practice.

suprfast
03-12-2010, 12:02 AM
Eat 'em and enjoy. We can all be monday morning pitmasters, but bbq takes practice... tasty, tasty practice.

Best part of bbq, is eating the mistakes. Cut into one right now and it was "okay". Oh well, pastrami just came off and im going to try out the new food slicer.
kris

Moose
03-12-2010, 01:41 AM

Well said..:icon_wink

kickassbbq
03-12-2010, 08:09 AM
Ain't got nuthin' to do with how long they are in the cooker. That can only be used as a guestimation!!!

"Their done when their done!"

Each peice of meat can be different.

Desert Dweller
03-12-2010, 08:16 AM
My experience says;
5-6 hours for Baby-Backs,
3-4 hours loin backs,
don't ask me why

SmokinOkie
03-12-2010, 08:29 AM
desert dweller, are your times reversed? LB should take longer than BB, always.

suprfast, one comment I try to point out when I see problems of rib times.

Weight of individual racks.

BB's are usually in the 1.5 to 2.5 range.
Loin backs (which are BB with more loin meat) I've had in the 3 to 4 lb range.

So if you're used to cooing small BB for 1.5 and get a 3.5 LB, see where it will cause a problem?

One easy thing is to weigh them and keep good notes. On average, you can add an hour per 1/2 pd (on average, it's not an absolute just too many variables).

LB will cook more like St Louis (time wise).

And you can't cook any of them on a "set time" (unless you've got a log with weights and times like I do for my comp ribs).

You'll get there, just wanted you to know about the weigh variance.

Russ