PDA

View Full Version : utility trailer advice

CTQUE
03-11-2010, 09:09 PM
Newbie here, seeking advice on a catering/vending trailer to be used part time (weekends mostly) at festivals and catering events in the northeast with a SPK500.

Does anyone have a utility trailer setup that they wouldnt mind sharing?

I am currently looking at the following and would appreciate any feedback;

http://mobilegrills.com/southern_pride_spk_500_smoker_ov.htm (http://mobilegrills.com/southern_pride_spk_500_smoker_ov.htm)

any pro's to this setup vs the traditional enclosed concession trailer?

Thanks for the help !

C Rocke
03-11-2010, 09:23 PM
Before you go much further, get over to the Health Department and get their requirements first, and then build/buy around your local rules. You'll save a lot of gray hair and aspirins.

Heavenly Hog
03-12-2010, 08:05 AM
Before you go much further, get over to the Health Department and get their requirements first, and then build/buy around your local rules. You'll save a lot of gray hair and aspirins.

Agreed, definitely look at your local rules and regulations when it comes to mobile vending. Every state/county has different requirements.

CTQUE
03-12-2010, 08:47 AM
Thanks all,

My HD was happy with the set-up. They only asked for a splash guard btw sinks and a system for grease containment/removal for the deep fry.

If anyone has other ideas on set up, or another manufacturer, it would be greatly appreciated

jonboy
03-12-2010, 08:57 AM
That is a nice looking unit...
I have a couple of questions about it....
1. How would it work in bad weather? Or do you want to be outdoors in bad weather? Would this limit your vending opportunities?
2. Is everything secure/theft proof for when you are not around? Is there ample storage for consumables?
Just something to think about.
jon

CTQUE
03-12-2010, 09:46 AM
Hey Jon,

I have had some of the same thoughts. To start, this will be a weekend hobby. I see many people doing catering and possibly vending with smaller tow behind open air units. The weather is certainly an issue for all.

As far as security, everything is welded down, but I certainly would not go far. You're right, storage is limited and I would have to rely on a van or SUV, coolers?

It's a big leap in cost from this open air style to the enclosed trailer, but definitely worth considering.

1FUNVET
03-12-2010, 10:22 AM
Nice looking rig, but we get way too much rain for that to be practical in south LA. :biggrin:

CTQUE
03-12-2010, 10:36 AM
1FUN,
What type of set up are you working with, if you dont mind me asking.