PDA

View Full Version : WOOD QUESTIONS

Sixgun
04-20-2004, 02:49 PM
Hey ya'll, couple of questions. We have a couple of customers with small orchards round here and I'm sure I can get some apple and peach wood.
How dry does the wood need to be? I dont think I want to use it green.
Should I de-bark it and split when ness. and let dry for 4-5 months?
Some would come from culling trees and some from pruning. Is there a use for the smaller prunings?

Or?

Thanks

Sixgun

Mark
04-20-2004, 02:53 PM
Yes, let dry for 4-5 months.
prunings 1'' diameter and up are fine. smaller than that can be used to start the fire.

BBQchef33
04-20-2004, 02:53 PM
Apple is good in 6months, Peach a little longer. Needs to loose 20% of its weight to be done.

Smaller prunings work well to, they jsut purn up faster..also, think i read somewhere, that the younger the wood the better... so thinner logs from branchs give sweeter smoke than heavy logs split from the trunks. Seems backwards, but its written somewhere around here.

jt
04-20-2004, 02:57 PM
I talked with an orchard owner - he said there's more/more concentrated sap in the the smaller branches and trees and thus more flavor for the food.

BigAl
04-20-2004, 03:46 PM
Six, I just checked the map, 273.5 miles from Parker to Grand Junction, might be worth the drive to get a load of Peach/Apple. Let me know what you have to pay there. Nothing here except pine.