PDA

View Full Version : Mes Mega Question thread!

Derek
03-11-2010, 05:22 PM
Ok got a couple of questions on my Mes.

1. Is my mes broken all ready when it I have to regulate the temp threw the fluke opening?

2.so the smoke goes from Light gray to blue play gray to dark gray then to dwindles away to nothing when it's time to add more chips?

3.What to do if it starts raining an i don't have a cover?

4.Can I go ahead and use a plastic bag & duct tape for a make shift cover until I can buy one?

jonboy
03-11-2010, 07:10 PM
1. You shouldnt have to regulate the temps. It is set it and forget it type of cooker. If i remember correctly, you must plug in the controller unit when installing. Cook with the vent open at least half but open full is better.

2. Add chips at start of cooking. A few at a time is better than filling the tray. When i began i would overfill and ended with over smoked and bitter meat. Smoke will burn from white or gray towards blue or clear. You are aiming for the clear and blue smoke=good.

3. While smoking, put the smoker under a umbrella or ladder with tarp spread loosely over it or....you will think of something.

4. A thick plastic bag, a tarp, a lg plastic garbage can...would work to shelter the unit when not in use.

jon

Derek
03-11-2010, 07:13 PM
Thank you Jon, It looks like I've done everything right except for leaving the fluke open.

I had the fluke closed and open just a crack, next time I will keep it half to full open.

If I have to regulate the temp again, take it back to QVC?

jonboy
03-11-2010, 07:26 PM
What do you mean by regulate the temp again?
You should be able to set the target temp, press start and the unit will begin to heat up.
It takes a few mins and then the chips will begin to burn.
As easy as using an oven.
I have burned chips, pellets and a single brickette in mine. The manufacturer doesnt recommend this practice.
jon

BRBBQ
03-11-2010, 09:48 PM
Is this a private conversation? I don't know what a fluke is, except a meter brand, and I don't know what a Mes Mega is:?: I might adjust the flue for temp!!!

jonboy
03-12-2010, 06:10 AM
MES is a masterbuilt electric smoker, they are available at sams, bass pro, academy, etc. They look and act like a FEC's little cousin.
You are welcome to join the conversation. :)
Just trying to help out with the learning curve, been there, done that, mode, even got the tee shirt. :)
I think you are right. He is talking about the flue on top to adjust the smoke level. The only time i would close the flue down is if doing a cold temp smoke or the weather outside is freezing to maintain temps. When i started with mine i would close the flue down and over smoke everything. My wife didn't like anything i made. After learning to open the flue, everyone got happier. It only took a few months for my taste buds to heal.

jon

Derek
03-12-2010, 06:24 AM
Is this a private conversation? I don't know what a fluke is, except a meter brand, and I don't know what a Mes Mega is:?: I might adjust the flue for temp!!!Nope its a public question.

If you have any advice just chime in ok man?

BRBBQ
03-12-2010, 07:22 AM
Thanks for clarifying, I looked up Mesa smokers and didn't find anything,:rolleyes: I had an electric smoker at one time, it's temp was all over the place. I took it back to BassPro.

Derek
03-12-2010, 07:25 AM
Thanks for clarifying, I looked up Mesa smokers and didn't find anything,:rolleyes: I had an electric smoker at one time, it's temp was all over the place. I took it back to BassPro.Ah ok, Least I'll have the temp control down pat when I move on to the charcoal smokers :)

Derek
03-12-2010, 07:28 AM
UMMM, Can I set the mes hours to 30 hours? because I want to smoke my first butt for 30 hours at 195F