PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky Derby Food Suggestions

thomasjurisd
03-11-2010, 04:33 PM
Hey folks,

I'm starting to plan for my family's annual Kentucky Derby party and was hoping for some "Kentucky" food suggestions. In the past I've done Brisket and Chickens but this year was hoping to do something more typical of Louisville.

I've read about the Hot Brown and would be open to that if someone's got a good authentic recipe. Anyway, I'm open to any Kentucky party suggestions if you got em!

Thanks in advance.

jonboy
03-11-2010, 06:47 PM
Here is the story of the hot brown....

The History of The Brown Hotel's "Hot Brown"
With so much to boast - award-winning dining, breathtaking turn-of-the-century architecture, and attentive, caring service - some may wonder, "Why the Hot Brown?" Here is the history behind this now legendary dish…
In the 1920's, The Brown Hotel drew over 1,200 guests each evening for its dinner dance. In the wee hours of the morning, the guests would grow tired of dancing and retire to the restaurant for a bite to eat. Diners were growing rapidly bored with the traditional ham and eggs, so Chef Fred Schmidt set out to create something new to tempt his guests' palates. His unique creation was an open-faced turkey sandwich with bacon and a delicate Mornay sauce. Exemplifying our unending dedication to serving our guests, The Hot Brown was born!
And now The Hot Brown - a Louisville tradition with worldwide appeal - has been featured in Southern Living Magazine, The Los Angeles Times, NBC's Today Show, The Wall Street Journal, as well as being included as a regular entry in many of the finest cookbooks.
The Legendary Hot Brown Recipe
Ingredients (Makes Two Hot Browns):
2 oz. Whole Butter
2 oz. All Purpose Flour
1 Qt. Heavy Cream
1/2 Cup Pecorino Romano Cheese, Plus 1 Tablespoon for Garnish
Salt & Pepper to Taste
14 oz. Sliced Roasted Turkey Breast
2 Slices of Texas Toast (Crust Trimmed)
4 slices of Crispy Bacon
2 Roma Tomatoes, Sliced in Half
Paprika, Parsley
In a two-quart saucepan, melt butter and slowly whisk in flour until combined and forms a thick paste (roux). Continue to cook roux for two minutes over medium-low heat, stirring frequently. Whisk whipping cream into the roux and cook over medium heat until the cream begins to simmer, about 2-3 minutes. Remove sauce from heat and slowly whisk in Pecorino Romano cheese until the Mornay sauce is smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
For each Hot Brown, place one slice of toast in an oven safe dish and cover with 7 ounces of turkey. Take the two halves of Roma tomato and set them alongside the base of turkey and toast. Next, pour one half of the Mornay sauce to completely cover the dish. Sprinkle with additional Pecorino Romano cheese. Place entire dish under a broiler until cheese begins to brown and bubble. Remove from broiler, cross two pieces of crispy bacon on top, sprinkle with paprika and parsley, and serve immediately.

I guess you will be serving Mint Juleps also.
jon

jonboy
03-11-2010, 06:50 PM
Here is the recipe for Early Times Mint Juleps.....

Ingredients

2 fluid ounces Early Times® Kentucky Whisky
1 tablespoon simple syrup
Mint sprigs
Crushed ice

Simple Syrup:
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 bunch fresh mint sprigs

Directions

Crush a few mint leaves in the bottom of an 8-oz. glass, then fill with crushed ice. Add one tablespoon of simple syrup and one tablespoon of water. Add 2 ounces of Early Times. Stir gently until glass frosts. Garnish with a fresh mint sprig, sip and enjoy.
Simple syrup directions: Combine sugar and water. Boil for 5 minutes without stirring. Pour mix over a handful of mint leaves, and gently crush the mint with a spoon. Refrigerate overnight in a closed jar. Remove mint leaves, but continue to refrigerate. Stays fresh for several weeks.

For dessert you could serve Derby Pie
jon

jonboy
03-11-2010, 06:56 PM
Here is a recipe for Derby Pie....

1 cup chocolate chips, I like to use Ghirardelli semi-sweet
1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped (Run your chef’s knife through them or pulse them in your food processor.)
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs, large
1/2 cup self-rising flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 stick butter, melted
1 UNbaked Pillsbury pie shell (Yes, use this brand ~ it makes a difference!

Directions http://www.grouprecipes.com/images/bullet_arrow_up.gif

Preheat oven to 350.
Combine flour and sugar.
Add eggs, one at a time, then vanilla and melted butter.
Stir in chocolate chips and nuts.
Pour into pie shell and bake for 30-40 minutes.
Let cool to set...

jon

thomasjurisd
03-11-2010, 07:11 PM
Here is the story of the hot brown....

The History of The Brown Hotel's "Hot Brown"
With so much to boast - award-winning dining, breathtaking turn-of-the-century architecture, and attentive, caring service - some may wonder, "Why the Hot Brown?" Here is the history behind this now legendary dish…
In the 1920's, The Brown Hotel drew over 1,200 guests each evening for its dinner dance. In the wee hours of the morning, the guests would grow tired of dancing and retire to the restaurant for a bite to eat. Diners were growing rapidly bored with the traditional ham and eggs, so Chef Fred Schmidt set out to create something new to tempt his guests' palates. His unique creation was an open-faced turkey sandwich with bacon and a delicate Mornay sauce. Exemplifying our unending dedication to serving our guests, The Hot Brown was born!
And now The Hot Brown - a Louisville tradition with worldwide appeal - has been featured in Southern Living Magazine, The Los Angeles Times, NBC's Today Show, The Wall Street Journal, as well as being included as a regular entry in many of the finest cookbooks.
The Legendary Hot Brown Recipe
Ingredients (Makes Two Hot Browns):
2 oz. Whole Butter
2 oz. All Purpose Flour
1 Qt. Heavy Cream
1/2 Cup Pecorino Romano Cheese, Plus 1 Tablespoon for Garnish
Salt & Pepper to Taste
14 oz. Sliced Roasted Turkey Breast
2 Slices of Texas Toast (Crust Trimmed)
4 slices of Crispy Bacon
2 Roma Tomatoes, Sliced in Half
Paprika, Parsley
In a two-quart saucepan, melt butter and slowly whisk in flour until combined and forms a thick paste (roux). Continue to cook roux for two minutes over medium-low heat, stirring frequently. Whisk whipping cream into the roux and cook over medium heat until the cream begins to simmer, about 2-3 minutes. Remove sauce from heat and slowly whisk in Pecorino Romano cheese until the Mornay sauce is smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
For each Hot Brown, place one slice of toast in an oven safe dish and cover with 7 ounces of turkey. Take the two halves of Roma tomato and set them alongside the base of turkey and toast. Next, pour one half of the Mornay sauce to completely cover the dish. Sprinkle with additional Pecorino Romano cheese. Place entire dish under a broiler until cheese begins to brown and bubble. Remove from broiler, cross two pieces of crispy bacon on top, sprinkle with paprika and parsley, and serve immediately.

I guess you will be serving Mint Juleps also.
jon

Thanks for the input Jon! The story is fantastic...I'll have to think about whether it is logistically possible in my kitchen to serve these this way to 25+. Popping that many browns in my oven might be tough...maybe I could put them back in the smoker?

Mint Juleps are always a mainstay! I've got mint growing in the backyard and use simple syrup and Old Bardstown Bourbon. I never have understood why Early Times (a whiskey) is the official choice for the Derby Juleps being that bourbon is Kentucky and Kentucky is bourbon by definition? Or perhaps my question should be...why isn't Early Times considered Bourbon as it is made in Kentucky? :cool:

As far as the pie goes...my wife's Chocolate Derby Pie is awesome...I wished she made it more often but she saves it just for the Derby. :-D

jonboy
03-11-2010, 07:20 PM
I think the Early Times is just a branding/advertising thing. There are a lot of substitutes available.
I don't think that there is anything you can't serve. If you think Southern Living Picnic, red and white checkered table cloths, baskets of fried chicken, scratch biscuits, sorghum, country ham, salads...and bourbon you are on your way to a great derby party.
My grandfather would say to not forget the fast women and beautiful horses.:)
jon

swibirun
03-11-2010, 09:43 PM
How about Kentucky Burgoo?

rogwadd
03-11-2010, 10:15 PM
Benedictine!! Serve it on that thin Pepperidge Farm sandwich bread with the crusts trimmed. Cut them into 4 pieces corner to corner. If you're making sandwiches, leave out the sour cream.

Benedictine Dip

Serves:1 1/2 cups
Ingredients

1 large cucumber, peeled
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons grated onion
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1/8 cup sour cream
Dash green food coloring, optional
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
Accompaniments: trimmed baby carrots and sugar snap peas, blanched, raw, trimmed baby radishes
Directions

Grate cucumber and drain in a fine mesh sieve. Combine cucumber, cream cheese, onion, salt, mayonnaise, sour cream and food coloring (if using) in a food processor. Transfer to a bowl and add chopped dill. Taste for seasoning. Serve with crudite.

Bacchus
03-11-2010, 10:17 PM
Wow, LOL. I just did KY Hot Browns tonight, and posted it. I guess that's why FN aired the Hot Brown throwdown episode with the Derby approaching. The show got my juices flowing.

grillzilla10
03-12-2010, 07:32 AM
How about country ham and bicuits for finger food?