PDA

View Full Version : Smokenator 1000

deguerre
03-11-2010, 12:46 PM
Anybody know about these or have used them in your kettle?

http://smokenator.com/default.htm

I'm thinking of trying it.

Moose
03-11-2010, 01:05 PM
Anybody know about these or have used them in your kettle?

http://smokenator.com/default.htm

I'm thinking of trying it.

They're supposed to be pretty good, although you can also use the firebrick method.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67937&highlight=Firebrick+Weber

early mornin' smokin'
03-11-2010, 01:22 PM
firebricks all day and nite, just a waste of money imho

deguerre
03-11-2010, 01:24 PM
Thanks Moose!

Odin the Dog
03-11-2010, 01:25 PM
I have one and use it for my long cooks. The water pan is a nice addition.
But yes, the firebrick method works just fine, cheaper too.

Paulmark
03-11-2010, 01:52 PM
That looks pretty cool, Guerry. I like that hover grill and there's that picture of the turkey set on the fire grate, I wonder about the heat being so close to the bird? Thanks let us know if you get one.:smile:

King
03-11-2010, 04:14 PM
It works great for me!

deguerre
03-11-2010, 04:32 PM
Well, I just bit the bullit and ordered a 22 1/2 Weber One Touch Silver off of Amazon. The price was the same as local, but the shipping was free since I'm a prime member and I'll have it Monday, and I didn't have to pay sales tax. So, I'll actually have that kettel the Smokenator works on, and may purchase that later, based on positive feedback from current owners. But until then, firebricks! Thanks for the feedback!

deguerre
03-11-2010, 04:33 PM
That looks pretty cool, Guerry. I like that hover grill and there's that picture of the turkey set on the fire grate, I wonder about the heat being so close to the bird? Thanks let us know if you get one.:smile:
If I do, there WILL be pron.:biggrin:

landarc
03-11-2010, 04:45 PM
Have I got something to show you Guerry. Now, hold your breath.

thomasjurisd
03-11-2010, 04:56 PM
Don't Mess with the Kettle! It is perfect as is...and you may anger it and/or make it feel inadequate. :wink:

King
03-12-2010, 07:34 AM
I thought about the firebrick method. But I wanted a little bling to go with my new kettle. I had a bunch of gift cards to Lowes and I basically got my new kettle for free. So I had to get new toys for the grill, that is just how I am and the smokenator got my attention. I really liked how functional the smokenator is and I did a little research with mostly positive reviews. In addition, it felt good supporting another Weber enthusiast.

This accessory is completely luxury, but I think it still gives you more space to cook (I can put a chicken or turkey on the charcoal grate, whereas, a water pan is present in that area when using firebricks). I also think the smokenator keeps excessive radiant heat away from your food, making it less times your have to watch it. Either way will work, I plan on using the firebrick method on my beat up 20 yr/old Weber.

early mornin' smokin'
03-12-2010, 08:23 AM
King, where'd you get that second rack for the weber, in need one!!

Big_T_BBQ
03-12-2010, 08:44 AM
I smoke using a 22.5 Weber and a smokenator with the hovergrill and I like it. It comes with a lot of literature and research that the creator (now deceased) did when designing it. I can have it set up or cleaned up in no time and it produces great results. Temps are steady and with the water pan on the coals you get a nice moist smoke environment.

An added bonus for me was the guy was from San Jose so it's a local product.

Vince B
03-12-2010, 08:45 AM
By looking at the site it looks like something that could easily be fabricated. Not much to it. I did like the added cooking grate mod and for the money I think it is worth it for the added space. For $15 I wonder if it would work on the smaller wsm's. Just a thought

For those of you using fire bricks, are these plain old bricks or are they something special? If they are made from concrete I would be worried about them exploding!

Big_T_BBQ
03-12-2010, 08:46 AM

That is a "hovergrill" and it's an add on to the smokenator. You can also use an 18.5 food grill and bolts/washers/nuts to raise it.

King
03-12-2010, 11:05 AM

It came with the smokenator. I overpaid, because somebody in another thread found one here:

http://www.acemart.com/prod9040.html

$4.95 is hella cheap, shipping might getcha.

tommykendall
03-12-2010, 12:29 PM
I almost got sucked into one of those smokenators. I'll try the firebrick but I haven't been successful in finding any here.

Gerry D
03-12-2010, 12:45 PM
I have the smokenator and I like it. I have only done picnics and turkeys with it and both come out great. The hovergrill fits on my 18.5" WSM too so it worked out well. I like to take the kettle and smokenator on vacation that way I can smoke and grill with one cooker. Truthfully I love my WSM but when I need extra space the smokenator gets the job done.

Hofy
03-12-2010, 02:23 PM
I have a Smokenator 1000 and it works great. Only $47 when I bought it last year. I was smoking butts (2 x 8# at a time) for my wedding reception. Smoked around 45-50# of butt and 30# of brisket over the course of a week. After the reception I had no left over brisket and only 3# of pulled pork. :D

BTW They now make a Smokenator for the 26" Weber. http://www.smokenator.com/buynow.htm#26

JSJoyce
05-02-2010, 10:10 PM
I bought a Smokenator last year and used it only once for some ribs. I think the end results were good but honestly don't recall one way or the other.

Thanks to some glorious weather yesterday here in Suburban Boston, I got 3 racks of babybacks, rubbed 'em up on Friday evening and got them on my kettle w/ the Smokenator yesterday.

I didn't follow the precise guidelines (i.e. - keep the upper vent open 5/16", etc.), but definitely followed along pretty closely. Started with 15 lit briquettes and 35 unlit in the Smokenator, along with some soaked wood chips (a combo of Hickory/Apple/Oak). Kept the dome temp at about 240*. Added a bit more wood after an hour or so. Kept the water pan full. Sprayed the ribs w/ an apple juice/cider vinegar mixture. Total time on the kettle was about 3.75 hours.

After they rested, I put them on my gasser w/ a nice brushing of Sweet Baby Ray's for about 15 minutes.

They turned out fantastic. Moist & smoky. Meat came off the bone nicely but didn't fall off the bone.

I'm officially a fan of The Smokenator!

http://picasaweb.google.com/JSJoyce/Ribs#5466874547932836738

Rookie'48
05-03-2010, 12:40 AM
I origanally bought one to keep at my daughter's place 150 miles from home and it worked great for what I needed at the time. All she had for outdoor cooking was a Weber Platinum but she (and her husband, son, D-i-L, etc.) wanted some smoked food when I was there. I used the Smokenator for about two years with some pretty good results and in my opinion it's a good tool if you want to smoke occasionally on your kettle.

King
05-03-2010, 09:52 AM
I smoked 3 spare ribs, a whole turkey breast and a 4lb hamburger patty on Saturday using the smokenator.

I can't say enough good things about it.

BluesDaddy
05-03-2010, 10:09 AM
The smokenator is great. Rather than having to invest another couple hundred $$ in a backyard smoker, you can use your kettle with ease. Sure, firebricks work - but takes more practice to get it right. BTW, I use 60 total briquettes - 48 unlit and 12 lit and maintain an even temp for 6 hours or so. Use a drip pan filled with water or AJ, or a combination, under the meat and the water in the pan of the smokenator lasts much longer than an hour. It's a great invention and definitely keeps ash off the food.

FamilyManBBQ
05-03-2010, 10:17 AM
Bought one of these a couple years ago(?). Haven't used it in a long time...may have to fire it up soon for old time's sake. If I remember correctly it came with very detailed instructions with regard to vent openings, time, temp etc. Got to respect the time Mr. Smokenator put into creating such specifics!!