PDA

View Full Version : If I stick my butt in the refrigerator...

jswordy
03-11-2010, 10:51 AM
...from the freezer tonight, will it be thawed for an overnight smoke Saturday? It's a 9-pound pork butt ... 5 of them, actually...

I'm thinking 5 hours a pound, so 45 total, so by 7-8 p.m. Saturday they should be able to go on the smoker. I am so slammed I did not get them into the fridge mid-week, like I wanted to.

What you say, Yassah or Nawsah?

bigabyte
03-11-2010, 10:54 AM
Prolly not, in my house going straight from freezer to fridge for a butt that size, it would still be frosty in the middle by Saturday. You could run some cold water over it for a half-hour to an hour first, then in the fridge, that would speed it up by quite a bit.

Smoothsmoke
03-11-2010, 10:54 AM
I dont think so.

Divemaster
03-11-2010, 11:23 AM
I agree with Chris. I don't think it'll be close to thawed... I would put them in the sink with cold water running over them for a couple of hours at least. You don't need the water running fast, just a dribble...

Good Luck!

thomasjurisd
03-11-2010, 11:26 AM
Depending on how cold your fridge is....it could still be frozen for a week. I put a brisket and two frozen turkeys in my outdoor beer fridge about a week before thanksgiving last year and to my surprise, when I went to get them out to prepare them the day before.....they were still frozen solid...needless to say I ended up making a quick trip to the store.

blues_n_cues
03-11-2010, 11:44 AM
not my fridge. it stays around 34-38 degrees. milk will freeze in the back. i'd say cold water for 6 hours or so then into the fridge.

Divemaster
03-11-2010, 01:22 PM
The other thing you have to think about is the quantity. You said you were doing five 9 pounders... That's 45 pounds of frozen meat sitting most likely on the bottom shelf, that's a lot of frozen/near frozen mass... I would thaw them in the sink and store them once thawed in the fridge...

bigabyte
03-11-2010, 01:32 PM
I didn't want to mention this, but this is what I do....I put them on a rack at room temp until the frost that condenses on the outside thaws (the outer meat is still frozen but is now not cold enough to freeze the condensation), and then put in the fridge. It only takes about 2-4 hours to hit this point unless it's a huge piece o meat.

I'm sure this is against the law and I will be locked up forever, but this is food safe because the meat never ever gets above 40*, hell it's still frozen. They are usually thawed out within a day or two this way.

Jay Bird
03-11-2010, 01:38 PM
I agree with Chris. I don't think it'll be close to thawed... I would put them in the sink with cold water running over them for a couple of hours at least. You don't need the water running fast, just a dribble...

Good Luck!

Same here. The refer just will not get you there in time.

cardiac_cadet002
03-11-2010, 01:46 PM
I didn't want to mention this, but this is what I do....I put them on a rack at room temp until the frost that condenses on the outside thaws (the outer meat is still frozen but is now not cold enough to freeze the condensation), and then put in the fridge. It only takes about 2-4 hours to hit this point unless it's a huge piece o meat.

I'm sure this is against the law and I will be locked up forever, but this is food safe because the meat never ever gets above 40*, hell it's still frozen. They are usually thawed out within a day or two this way.

your not alone man:cool:

handz98
03-11-2010, 03:38 PM
In a pinch I've tossed a couple of these frozen bowling balls in the cooker and was amazed at how well they turned out. I would be interested to hear if any others have had similar experience...

Divemaster
03-11-2010, 04:04 PM
I've done them when they were still frozen in the center but the out side 3/4" was thawed... Turned out fine I just don't know how long they took. Started them around midnight pulled them off at 165* and tossed them in a pre-heated cooler and drove for about 2 hours... Let the cooler sit in the sun for a couple more hours... When we went to pull, they were at 150* and perfect...

I don't think I want to try it again, but it did work... lol

bigabyte
03-11-2010, 04:08 PM
I've had issues putting them on straight from the freezer. The outside gets too overdone in order to get the center done.

QuietOne
03-11-2010, 07:15 PM
I thaw in the laundry sink. It's bigger than my kitchen sink and I can adjust the water temp 3 or 4 times during the day. I'd thaw entirely in the sink then HOLD in the refrigerator at 4C-5C. (40F) range

But hey that's me.

BRBBQ
03-11-2010, 09:38 PM
I agree ^^^NO:!:

kickassbbq
03-12-2010, 06:20 AM
Throw them on half frozen!!! The meat don't know the difference. Just takes longer to cook.
Do it any time I need to. Work Perfecto!!!!!

jswordy
03-12-2010, 03:10 PM
Well heck, I got so durned busy I couldn't get them out Thursday anyway. I did not even get home Thursday night until 9 p.m., and having consumed several straight-up drinks from a $65 bottle of Pritchard's Double-Barreled Bourbon with the owner of the distillery during a business meeting, I forgot to remove the meat from the freezer.

(Web site: http://www.prichardsdistillery.com/ Click on Tiki Bar once in, it will show the product line :thumb:)

I should take 'em out this weekend, put 'em in the fridge, and plan to cook next weekend.

Wifie got this all started. Says I can't just set them on the counter and let 'em thaw, then toss 'em in the smoker half-frozen. Got to do it in the fridge, says she. Shrug.

1_T_Scot
03-12-2010, 03:46 PM
Microwave them! Our Microwave has a defrost button you can put the weight in then hit defost and it does it automatically! Wonder if I can put 45lbs in there.

Ok just kidding.

I've done the water and on the counter. The water method makes my wife feel better.

BBQ Bandit
03-12-2010, 03:56 PM
If I stick my butt in the refrigerator...

Dang ... its not in woodpile